Dunno where to put this so...

So, we got the most awesome assignment in our music class, where we are to write a piece of music that sounds like it could've been written by your idol. The purpose of this assignment, according to our rather weird music teacher, is to learn something on the way.
Being a guitarist, I chose Slash (mind you, I could've gone for Vai or Buckethead, but that had been too much to ask for ) and now I gotta write a solo that sounds like something he could've written.

I know for a fact that he uses a lot of pentatonics, but are there any other modes/scales that he uses which I can put in my solo?

I plan to let it start rather slow and build up towards the end. Any tips are welcome!

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
Bends, bends. Bend from a non-chord tone to a chord tone!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
pentatonic is it.
that's all slash really used. ever. at all haha

maybe a bit of the blues scale to add some flavor to it...
That sir, is genius! *imagines starting the backwards SCOM-riff*

But my teacher would know right away. He is a musical genius. I think he's a descendant from Mozart, you should hear him on the piano. Too bad he is such a strange guy.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Use loads and loads of minor pentatonic bends and the odd cliched lick. That should do the trick.
I have nothing to say
So I just proceed to bend a tone for fifteen minutes and add a cliché pentatonic lick? Damn, it'll rock!

But I'll try the blues and harmonic minor scales as well.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Lots of bends, double bends, and more bends. And vibrato. And pentatonics.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

actually, all you need is a top hat and a cigarette. Doesn't matter what you play, it'll still sound like Slash.
Yeah, I am no melodic genius myself, but I'll try my best. I'm thinking to have it kinda be based on the vocal melody of November Rain.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Bing
add a dash of melodic genius, he did have that too

+1
Quote by dogfennell
Whats a "liemthe guy?"
So what pedal do I buy for that "Melodic Genius" kind of sound?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Demon Wolf
So what pedal do I buy for that "Melodic Genius" kind of sound?

And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by CoreysMonster
actually, all you need is a top hat and a cigarette. Doesn't matter what you play, it'll still sound like Slash.

*creepy dark voice*
yes.. the magic is in the hat....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Yeah, bends are your key. Seriously, Slash is the definitive master of bends.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
In the beginning..... Slash created the bend, the Pentatonics and God.

That's wut de bible sez rite?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Hey, he uses more than the pentatonic scale, like in double talkin jive you can hear him using everything.
the wah scratch things
the muted notes then fast little lick thing on the slash pent video
it sounds cool
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
What most people do not know about Slash is that his talent lies in his hat. You see, this is also the hat that brought Frosty to life.
He liked to use the neck pickup with the Pentatonic Minor Scale (mostly in key of E.) As a certain style of the scale, he doesn't usually skip around notes on the scale; usually makes fast yet gradual moves. Do forget to add in your bend or very slow vibratos. And lets not forget the Wah Wah pedal.
Quote by Bing
pentatonics and lots of bends = deluxity

fixed

just use a pentatonic minor scale
He uses a mix of the Aeolian and the minor pentatonic I believe. Anyway, the long, bluesy bends will be your key to getting that Slash sound. Don't forget those ascending Slash speed licks, though!
I'm trying

Once the solo is done, I'll upload a clip for you all to hear. It starts out slow (it is in C), then gradually builds with some ascending speed runs as mentioned and there'll be Shred Light A'la Slash in the end.

Could be good, could be crap.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
a good piece of advice is to make so that you can sing along to the solo if you get what i mean.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
I have a VOX AD50VT and I think I have a tone that resembles his now, after some tinkering. I don't have a great ear for tone though, but it sounds alright I guess. Yeah, I'll definately try singing along to the solo too.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
keep it slow will the opertune moment to unlesh some speeed
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
First thing to sound like Slash is to know your bends and pentatonics, and some blues scales. Mix them up with a fag and a bottle of jack daniels, and try to make a solo, and it should be like Slash's solo.
Quote by Demon Wolf
I have a VOX AD50VT and I think I have a tone that resembles his now, after some tinkering. I don't have a great ear for tone though, but it sounds alright I guess. Yeah, I'll definately try singing along to the solo too.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

ive got that same amp, whats the setting? ive been tryin to get a slash like tone and my ear aint so good
"There are two wolves fighting inside all of us - the wolf of fear and hate, and the wolf of love and peace." The grandson listened, then looked up at his grandfather and asked, "Which one will win?", The grandfather replied, "the one we feed".
I use the NUMETAL Preset Setting with the neck pickup. Works well for me, but I guess that depends on your guitar.