Hey, I could use some reccomendations/help on crafting a solo for a song some people and I are putting together.

The song is in the key of A, and its in a Motown-feel good-soul kinda vibe, looking for a pop/rock-ish type solo, with some blues. The solo is being played over just an A and a D preety much.

Any tips?
work off of a blues scale in the key you need it in. not sure what else to tell you. sorry if this isnt very helpful. i generally just go for improv. but yea, sorry. dont know what else to say. good luck, tho.
Find out how to play the A pentatonic or scale or w.e and same with the D... then just fool around with those while someone else plays your song... thats what I do.
I know scales, and I know how to improvise, its just everything I do sounds too bluesy for this type of song and im looking for advise on how to make it more "fittable", I guess.
Well, I suggested the blues scale here because its essentially a pentatonic scale with a blue note. Have you tried alternating between pentatonic and blues scales? Or perhaps you can incorporate a simple major scale and work off of that? I hope I'm making sense. Good luck, nevertheless.
I used to have the same problem always playing blues when I wanted to shred (I know your not talkin bout shreddin here but eh!)...

Consider ALL of you options, legato.. picked lines.. slides to and from notes.. tapping (not just for metal!) .... harmonics.... try not to bend on the 5th .. try not to bend too much!.. mix up scale postions!!

If you know your natural minor/major scales as well as pentatonic as long as long as you really keep that stuff in mind u'll be able to break out of your blues rut!!

EDIT.. arpegio's to!!!... plus practice more!!!
Last edited by synth002 at Jan 28, 2007,
Guys, he's looking for a feel-good vibe. Why are you all recomending minor scales? There are options for soloing besides the minor pentatonic scale...

Major pentatonic, blues scales with a major sixth, or hell, for pop-ish music the good old major scale or one of its lighter-sounding modes will work just fine.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Hey, I could use some reccomendations/help on crafting a solo for a song some people and I are putting together.

The song is in the key of A, and its in a Motown-feel good-soul kinda vibe, looking for a pop/rock-ish type solo, with some blues. The solo is being played over just an A and a D preety much.

Any tips?

Listen. Feel. Express.
Quote by scrilly
Guys, he's looking for a feel-good vibe. Why are you all recomending minor scales?

Hey man Im just saying try to keep all options in mind, while having a decent technique.. thats the key if you ask me..