I posted before asking if the schecter hellraiser FR is a good guitar, and I received a loud yes. However, I found another guitar by Ibanez, which could be even better. I personally prefer the looks of the ibanez, but guitars are about sound more than about looks. I live a loooong ways away from the nearest guitar shop so it is very time consuming for me to try both guitars out. (I am a very busy person) I would like your oppinion on which of these 2 guitars is the best for metal, specifically death metal.

Here they are:

hellraiser:

http://www.onlinestagegear.com/brand/Schecter/C/C1-Hellraiser-FR.html

Ibanez:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S520EX

most important differences:

hellraiser has EMG 81/85, S520EX has INF1/INF2

Hellraiser has a fairly fat neck, S520EX has a wizard 2 neck. I know that the hellraiser is neck-through, I dont know if the S520EX has a neck through as well.

Hellraiser has original FR tremolo, S520EX has a ZR tremolo.

The reason I am looking for a new guitar, is that my Schecter C1-classic has passive pickups, and no tremolo. Its pickups can give a whole lot of noise, which I want to get rid of with actives. Also, one of its pickups is meant for jazz (sh-2n), and is completely useless for metal.

appreciate the feedback!
Last edited by Mark G at Jan 29, 2007,
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR FTW definetly....but of course, that's just my opinion.

I think the Hellraiser has a better tremolo system and pickups. It also has 24 jumbo frets, while the Ibanez has only 22, and the high frets are fairly easy to reach due to the type of neck. However, it's probably slightly easier to shred on the Ibanez cuz of its neck style, yet that doesn't mean it's not possible on the Hellraiser.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jan 28, 2007,
It would be a matter of your likings i guess. Both gutiars seem great, the Schecter would be better for metal stock, but with upgraded pickups the Ibanez can be great for metal too.

so go try them out
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

schecter. just buy it. just do.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I drove for 2 hours a while back to the nearest guitar shop to try out both guitars, but the schecter was out of stock and someone stole the whammy bar off the ibanez o_O. There goes my personal comparison -_-
Since you mentioned looks, the Hellraiser is available in black cherry and some blue color i think...which has a great finish. I think it's way better than the Ibanez's look.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
the schecters got real active emgs 81 and 85 thats what i would get but i also dont like ibanezs that much either
Hellraiser. It's a beast... Rawr.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
so I take it the hellraiser > S520EX?

what is it about the hellraiser that makes it so superior? tremolo? emg? (just wondering, because I really dont like the hellraiser looks, so I might consider buying the S520EX and putting new stuff on it)
WTLTL 2011
Hellraiser FTW!
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
ibanez
better build quality, better bridge, lighter and more comfortable.
plus the knarly ass inlays
Personally, I would not even consider buying the Schecter, because ibanez overall is a much better company. But I have tried out both of these guitars and I must say in this instance, the schecter takes the cake. EMG's and a REAL FLOYD ROSE, plus this thing shreds. Dont get me wrong, if you get a deal on the s520 take it, becasue it is one fast guitar. I played these both through 6505 Peavey head into a 5150 cab,(which also rips), and the emgs sound so amazing, TAKE THE SCHECTER.
i personally think the zr trem is better then an ofr but its your choice

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
I am beginning to think that these two guitars are pretty much identical in quality, so it all depends on preferance...schecter has the emgs going for it and the ibanez the wizard neck, the two trems are both really good. lol, such a dilemma. if there is little difference, I guess I will go with the ibanez since that one is cheaper.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by Mark G
Also, one of its pickups is meant for jazz, completely useless for metal.

Haha funny cuz if im not mistaken you know Dave Mustaine uses a Jazz Duncan in his guitars. you stoopid and he sounds 10x times better than you ever will.
Schecter.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by Silent_Scream1
Haha funny cuz if im not mistaken you know Dave Mustaine uses a Jazz Duncan in his guitars. you stoopid and he sounds 10x times better than you ever will.

Dave Mustain uses his Signature active Duncans...

but anyway, almost every humbucker can sound "metal" if you play it through a high gain beast like a peavey 6505
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
Quote by Austrorammer
Dave Mustain uses his Signature active Duncans...

but anyway, almost every humbucker can sound "metal" if you play it through a high gain beast like a peavey 6505

Dave used JB , and jazz pups, which were passive.
shecter has better pups
Ibanez has much thinner neck
both trems equal out
its easier to swap pups than shave/alter the neck thru schecter

and personal preferance for playing comfort sitting and standing goes to the Ibanez
Quote by The Casualty
Ibanez, if you're going to be playing death metal, you're not gonna want to play on a thick neck.

He didn't say he was playing death metal...

I haven't tried the Ibanez but I love my hellraiser.
Played both and I personally prefer the hellraiser. Plus the price difference isn't that much. The ibanez will be more expensive after you consider having to by new pickups. Go with the schecter you won't be disappointed.
Schecter has better pickups but the neck can get slow if you're a sweaty blighter.

Ibanez worse pick ups but hey it's an Ibanez and I havn't played one I havn't liked.

Hard choice. I'd go for the Schecter simply because I think you're getting more for your money.
Try them both out.

The Hellraiser was nothing like I thought it would be when I tried it. I hated it.

Very clunky.
silent_scream1, the duncan Sh-2n jazz model which is the one in my schecter sounds like its got mud in the pickups when played disorted, which is why I said MY jazz pickups are useless for metal. If you want to rip something I say out of context and be an ass about it, perhaps you should consider politics?

back on topic, it really sounds to me like they are pretty much equal, so I dont have a choise put to drive for a few hours and try them out. Thank you all for the feedback
WTLTL 2011