I have been a Ravi Shankar fan for about the last two years (I think the man is still alive), and only now have I decided to take a break from jazz to learn some Indian theory basics. All I know is usually a raga is played and improvised on (kinda like jazz). So if anyone could recommend me some sites, books, or offer some of there own knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated.
I miei odori giapponesi della ragazza della scuola del penis di rino!
I really don't have much knowledge besides the stuff i've transcribed from Ravi and Derek Trucks, but those guys are easily the most dedicated musicians ever. I suggest, just like in jazz, transcribe all of the tones you can on the guitar, besides the quarter tones and such and just learn from it all through analysis. One thing they do a lot is have different ascending and descending scales, so like one scale ascends 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and it descends 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7. Though the example only shows it happening once they do this to make a lot of half note connections. I hope that helped somewhat.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
I think I tried learning once a few years ago, but that pretty much failed. It could possibly be done (many things are possible if you're dedicated) but from what I understand it requires a different viewpoint and focus.

If you grew up on Western music, like me, you're used to having some focus on harmony. From what I've gathered, Indian music is more of a focus on developing melody, through various changes in modes or something. The rhythms aren't metrical like we're used to either, and apparently get rather complex...

I haven't run into anyone on this site who is an expert in Indian music, so I don't know how much help you'll get. But good luck
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Cathartic music is the sweetness!

I play mainly improv rock, but alone or with one other person I like to get into cathartic styles/scales.

If you want to do it right, you have to have a full note instrument (24 notes instead of 12), but it can be done pretty nicely with a guitar.

It is basically crossing major and minor scales into a new melodic scale. The style uses a lot of slides, a lot of spaces, and pull offs.

You have to have it inside you to really do it; you have to dig in and feel it, but great cathartic music can be played using the guitar!
To truly master indian classical styles, it's contended you have to dedicate yourself to them from a very early age with a guru of some kind

however I hear that Trucks had a cool lesson on some Ragas in a recent issue of Guitar (World? I think...)
Quote by TheLastTrueJedi

Cathartic music is the sweetness!If you want to do it right, you have to have a full note instrument (24 notes instead of 12), but it can be done pretty nicely with a guitar.

Not to be an A-hole or anything, but 24 notes is'nt a full note instrument, since there are even more notes inbetween the quarter tones, correct me if im wrong indian music also uses 1/3 tones

so i beleive that means theres like 43 notes, may have calculated wrong, but i also read in this one book that some indian music goes up to 53 notes, throughout an octave
^ i don't believe 53 notes an octave, the worst i've heard of is a 52 tet tuning system and that was by a crazy modern composer using computers to play everything. I know there's at least a 22 note system, but not of much more than that.

That said, if anyone could do it...

Indian music is too much to go into right now, all i know can be found elsewhere. If this thread is dead and i remember i might add something some other time.