Any body have any good suggestions of pickup combos for a Ibanez Mahogany S470 H-S-H congfig?
Im running it through a Line 6 Spider III and mostly play classic rock, blues, and some metal type stuff. Currently I am considering a Dimarzio Air Norton neck and either tone zone or norton in bridge. Have no clue about the middle single coil.
Or in Duncans a JB bridge and either a 59 or sh-2 jazz in the neck with a vintage rails in the middle. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated as I have no way of trying these pups out before buying. On a side note, does anyone know of a good single coil that could get me frusciante type sounds? thanks again
Yea, just flip those around.

81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck.

I would get PAF Pro's, or SD's. Not EMG's, at least not for what you play.
High as tits
shoulda posted this with the thread but I definitely want to stay passive. I know EMGs are great active pickups but for some reason im feelin passive
Frusciante type sounds?
Best bet is just with a vintage-type single coil.
here's a good HSH combo...
SH-1 '59 in the neck
SSL-2 in the middle
SH-11 Custom Custom

You'd get blues and classic rock outta the '59, easy. The SH-11 can handle hard rock, classic rock, and metal pretty well. Aggressive pickup. I like its brother, the SH-5 much more than the JB. The JB has a little too much treble for me. You could a 250K pot with it to smooth it out if you wanna go that way.
The SSL-2 will be able to do blues and classick rock as well, and will probably get ya pretty close to Frusciante, with it's glassy, bell-like single coil tone.
You'll just have to fumble with the heights a bit to get a bit more balanced in terms of output.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 28, 2007,
also, does anyone have any opinions on hand wound pickups and how they compare to normal mechanically produced ones? sry buuger but Im in the US of A. However I have found a site that could do them: www.highorderpickups.com Any comments on them?
try the pickup FAQ i wrote a while back it should be in the artile arcive there are loads of websites in there of makers of pickups both machine and hand wound although a few of them may be out of date by now
also, does anyone have any opinions on hand wound pickups and how they compare to normal mechanically produced ones? sry buuger but Im in the US of A. However I have found a site that could do them: www.highorderpickups.com Any comments on them?

I'll just be the voice of reason for a sec and point out that you are not going to get the full benefit from replacement pickups with your current amp. Pickups are only ever as good as the rest of your rig, particularly your amp. They don't do anything on their own, it's how they interact with everthing else that's the key. With modelling amps, you lose most of the original character of the tone in the modelling circuitry. Pickups will change your output level, and maybe affect the EQ'ing somewhat, but that's about it.

If you want a better sound for the styles you play your best bet for the most improvement for your money is investing in a tube amp...maybe even just get an Epi Valve Junior for blues and classic rock stuff and keep the Spider for metal. That's a guaranteed improvement in sound, whereas you could change pickups and most likely find the tone is different, but not actually "better".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd go Dimarzio over duncon not a fan of duncan pickups and dimarzio seem to go really well with ibanez. Try a crusier in the single coil slot they sound pritty sweet.I also like the passive EMG's i have a h4 in the bridge of my Ibanez rg470 it sounds pritty sweet to.
thanks buuger ur faq is a great help. the Lace alumitone has now caught my eye. Does anyone know how these sound?