Page 1 of 3
What do you think about any opivy covers. What band does the best covers for them. And it can differ between different bands for different songs.

to listen to some covers go to http://operationivy.com/covermp3.php.

I think Reel Big Fish does a fcuking excellent live "Unity" cover. its just so different for the orginal song. dont get me wrong i love the original, no one will ever top it, but reel big fish put it near the top.

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_rQFq_8rQ
DSNFPUNX
Last edited by VodkaSkunk at Jan 30, 2007,
I'd say that no one can cover Operation Ivy. They have they're own sound and style that can't be matched. I like listening to them more than any cover.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Funny, Mike. I even heard a certain "band" called Fancy Pants (http://www.myspace.com/fancypantshadhismyspacestolen) do an Operation Ivy cover. I almost passed out.

But what about Big D and the Kids Table? I love their cover of Sound System.

I think The Suicide Machines do pretty well, too. If I remember, I didn't like RBF's cover at all.
Last edited by RyanEck at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by guitarkid2113
I'd say that no one can cover Operation Ivy. They have they're own sound and style that can't be matched. I like listening to them more than any cover.

this is true, and said that...but whether you like it or not, bands do like to cover their songs because opivy songs are classic. these bands that do opivy covers love the originals just as much as you do, and they give opivy props and respect by playing their songs in their name.
DSNFPUNX
Mike you are a funny man...it really is so true. but the thing about the rancid covers......DSNF can do really really good covers for them.
DSNFPUNX
Quote by VodkaSkunk
What do you think about any opivy covers. What band does the best covers for them. And it can differ between different bands for different songs.

to listen to some covers go to http://operationivy.com/covermp3.php.

I think Reel Big Fish does a fcuking excellent "Unity" cover. its just so different for the orginal song. dont get me wrong i love the original, no one will ever top it, but reel big fish put it near the top.

Agreed, I do like the Reel Big Fish cover of "Unity", but only played live. I don't know why, it just sounds more like it should do. Less produced, more natural. And its played at a decent tempo when done live, the recorded version is stupidly fast.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Honestly, I don't love the Reel Big Fish cover of "Unity". I think Save Ferris's version of "Artificial Life" is awesome, though. I've been trying to get my band to do an Op Ivy cover since I joined, but all they wanna do is stupid Streetlight Manifesto.
Quote by DisgruntledDuck
Agreed, I do like the Reel Big Fish cover of "Unity", but only played live. I don't know why, it just sounds more like it should do. Less produced, more natural. And its played at a decent tempo when done live, the recorded version is stupidly fast.

yes i just realized what i claimed.....the live is better and more natural. i was quoting ryan as you post a reply
DSNFPUNX
Quote by hardrock1315
but all they wanna do is stupid Streetlight Manifesto.

AHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSNFPUNX
Quote by hardrock1315
Honestly, I don't love the Reel Big Fish cover of "Unity". I think Save Ferris's version of "Artificial Life" is awesome, though. I've been trying to get my band to do an Op Ivy cover since I joined, but all they wanna do is stupid Streetlight Manifesto.

They're becoming the "it" band of ska now huh? And don't get me wrong, I do like them but wow...keep working on 'em man. You'll get 'em to cover Ivy eventually. Sound System or Here It Goes Again...that'd be awesome.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Quote by DisgruntledDuck
They're becoming the "it" band of ska now huh? And don't get me wrong, I do like them but wow...keep working on 'em man. You'll get 'em to cover Ivy eventually. Sound System or Here It Goes Again...that'd be awesome.

i second that....yeah bro seriously keep trying to rub it in their face they'll eventually or maybe give in and they will probably like playing their music, it is honestly fun.

Keep on keepin on!! HA!
DSNFPUNX
Nah i don't like Op Ivy covers. Op Ivy are special to me, and the all those covers sound pretty pathetic. On an unrelated note: You have 7 posts out of the 12 in this thread... somethings gone mightily awry.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
i was at a concert and this band wastebasket did a cover of bombshell...it was pretty good. everyone knew the lyrics and the pits went crazy...it was good until half way through the lead singer seemed to forget the lyrics...but the audience knew them all so it was okay. But...afterwards they mentioned that out of all the concerts they did with that cover no one knew the song...isn't that weird?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

i guess mike rolls with that crowd then....but that is amazing....see the fact that everybody hates opivy covers, but when they go to a show and one of the bands play an opivy song, they all love it and love the fact that its being played and it makes their night.....................so when people tell me they hate other bands playing cover songs of opivy, they are totally bullshitting you, cause everybody would like other bands to play opivy songs at shows.
DSNFPUNX
im rollin, rollin, rollin, rollin...

but i do like to hear them at concerts...unless they are bad...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

A LOT of those covers are bad on the operation ivy site
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by Ska Wars

i hate acoustic covers

and especially this one...that was just bad...horrible....i hate the aquabats...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

mike about the covers on the site...Yes i know their garbage.......but at least they acknowledge them and tried....but some do need to be taken off...its a disgrace
DSNFPUNX
yeah...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Yes, a whole Hell of a lot. And I love the Aquabats, but I think that that was a prettymuch terrible cover, too. They're funny, but in that particular instance, the "Hey Kids, we're doing a singalong at some sort of summer camp" thing just got on my nerves.

EDIT: That was in response to
Quote by mike2
A LOT of those covers are bad on the operation ivy site

I still hold that the Big D and the Kids Table cover is great, though.
oh god, i just listened to a bunch of them...the big d one sucked, the code one of unity sucked...i love the code, but his voice is not jesse michaels, the dub allstars one of take warning sucked balls, and the green day one...?...was bad...bad...bad....
Quote by BrianApocalypse

so no one can top opivy, thats a given, but i think covers should just stick to just performing live
DSNFPUNX
I only listened to a few from the site itself, cause I've already heard some of them, the Green Day one included. That one was God awful. But I'm shocked that you thought Big D sucked.

I'm not entirely sure if I have heard an Op. Ivy cover live or not (not counting Fancy Pants...) The RBF one in that video was alright. I'm sure it would have been awesome to see live.
okay....they should never be recorded...never damn it!

edit: i went to the fancy pants myspace link you shared with us, but there was no cover?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Green Day covered Unity and Jaded on their American Idiot tour it was ****in awesome.
I was just trying to portray what sort of "band" that was. I saw the guy live, and it is just him singing over recorded tunes. One of them was an Operation Ivy song, although I have forgotten which one (ItMayHaveBeenYellingInMyEar). I'm sure that him doing the cover isn't recorded anywhere (thankGod?).

Quote by Skrunnch
Green Day covered Unity and Jaded on their American Idiot tour it was ****in awesome.

Eugh
Quote by RyanEck
Eugh

i second that...eugh...greenday's knowledge cover sucked...i just listened to it on the site, it sounds so crappy.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

any ways, ignoring skrunnch, on rancids site thing, they had a cover of knowledge, but it was an acoustic cover. it sucked too.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I *don't* like Green Day, when it all comes down to it, but that is irrelevant. Their cover stinks. S'not a biased statement.. it's just true.

I dunno if I heard the Rancid one. I'll have to look. I *like* acoustic stuff, though, so long as it doesn't sound all horrifyingly out of tune and whatever.
Okay Mike2 you're ****ing ridiculous.

You should just stick to Op Ivy and stop listening to covers and stop posting in the op ivy cover thread.

Ryaneck you too.

Op Ivy are overrated anyway.
didn't i say i like op ivy better than the covers, and no they are not overrated, this is from someone who listens to crappy greenday, sell out crap.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by RyanEck
I *don't* like Green Day, when it all comes down to it, but that is irrelevant. Their cover stinks. S'not a biased statement.. it's just true.

I dunno if I heard the Rancid one. I'll have to look. I *like* acoustic stuff, though, so long as it doesn't sound all horrifyingly out of tune and whatever.

it ain't that bad, cause Tim doesn't sing it...Lars does. which is better than Tim.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by mike2
didn't i say i like op ivy better than the covers, and no they are not overrated, this is from someone who listens to crappy greenday, sell out crap.

I won't deny it Green Day were one of my favorite bands from say 6th through 8th grade. Dookie is a fantastic album and any self respecting music fan can admit that to themselves. Nimrod is also good.

How are they sellouts? Every child and their mothers has a Dookie shirt prior to American Idiot.

I dont think you know what a sellout is just stick to Op Ivy and the Unseen.

Speaking of punk as **** Unseen they released a pseudo hardcore album last year hmm that's weird.
that last statement didn't make sense, but i don't like dkm...anyways...

let's say that Green Day were sellouts when dookie came out...im not saying American Idiot piece of shit is when they sold out, im saying the pop-punk band turned into a pop rock band when dookie came out.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

What are you talking about DKM?

And I'm pretty sure Dookie was a pop punk album.
Page 1 of 3