Why is important to be able to have strong solid down picking? It's a lot easier to just alternate pick.
you are a very lucky person so that alternate picking comes easy to you
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
its important in things like metal. and palm muting songs.

Rythym chops are quite hard, and if you havent got a solid down stroke, you'll find it harder. of course they mix both alternate picking aswell... if your using two strings it sounds better. like raggae sounds good with upstrokes
Quote by Coins
Why is important to be able to have strong solid down picking? It's a lot easier to just alternate pick.

Different styles call for different picking. They generate different tones.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by 18th_Angel
Different styles call for different picking. They generate different tones.

yep, it sounds more 'metalish' if you just down pick i think, and even if you're just holding a power chord and say all down picking it rather than up down strokes on it it sounds alot different
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Quote by Alfi_d
its important in things like metal. and palm muting songs.

Rythym chops are quite hard, and if you havent got a solid down stroke, you'll find it harder. of course they mix both alternate picking aswell... if your using two strings it sounds better. like raggae sounds good with upstrokes

Plus when your accentuating notes it helps to have a good downstroke.
My Gear:
Ashton AG131
Ashton GA10 (amp)
Marshall MG250DX (gasp, i know...)
Ibanez S470DXQM
EH Metal Muff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") ... he's gaining power
Downstroking is more agressive. That's why the vast majority of Metallica riffs and such are played downstroked because it gets that sound.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Try playing Master Of Puppets alt. picking. It sounds like ass, nothing I really play requires constant downpicking, but I still play it like that.
On the contrary, if you practice at it, alternate picking Master of Puppets (minus chords of course) can sound just as good.

Anyway, it's about phrasing. Sure, you can hit the note, but did you hit it the right way?

Think of it like speaking. Sure, you can say what you want to say. But did it achieve the effect on people as you wanted?
Well in metal, I would guess the more deeper sounding part is important, so you hit the e and a first, rather then the high e, just wouldn't sound heavy.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Ya like those guys said, its a more 'metal' sound. And with rhythm guitar, you have to be able to have a good downstroke usually on the beat. However with rhythm, you do have to have a really good alternate picking. So just work on both, but its good to learn all styles.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
It's a more powerful sound.

But alternate picking is faster, so you're lucky if you find it easier. Most people find downpicking a lot easier.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
Metallica type and some heavyyyy chugging are much better in downpicking. I have a easier time playing downpicks on metal and alt picking on funk (Hendrix,chords, james brown ;D) But i cant downpick Pantera and it pisses me off, does Dime alt or downpick?
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Lagrance
Metallica type and some heavyyyy chugging are much better in downpicking. I have a easier time playing downpicks on metal and alt picking on funk (Hendrix,chords, james brown ;D) But i cant downpick Pantera and it pisses me off, does Dime alt or downpick?
He's dead, he rots.
Quote by Noonward
He's dead, he rots.

You're a ****ing retard.

Downpicking, like any other different picking style, adds a different sound to the music you're playing. Metal players favour downpicking because of the heavier sound you can get out of it instead of just alternate picking.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Lagrance

Neither, Economy FTW
I found downpicking a lot easier. I don't know it's just kind of gravity helping me out I guess...
Do you mean ecomony like, awesome metal chugging on pm riffs and then alt picking on the fast parts? (cowboys from hell)
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
I don't know why people say downpicking is easier; yes, it's easier to play when you start, but once I got it down, everything is so much easier to play fast. When I play MOP downpicking, my arm dies in like 30 seconds and it's sounds pathetically slow, but when I alt. pick, I can go like 1.5x the speed of the song (or more, I haven't compared...)

And are we talking powerchords or single note runs? I mean, I always downpick on chords, but have you tried playing One without alt. picking? Maybe you could do it, but it's infinitely harder.