So, I've been playing for around three and a half years. I know all my fundamentals, I can play some good stuff, and I have an intermediate grasp on music theory. I have a band, and they're all on the same level as me with their respective instruments, although my drummer knows no theory and my other guitarist only knows a little.

I want to play progressive rock/metal, like Tool, Dream Theater, Rush, Isis, Coheed and Cambria, and The Mars Volta.

What kind of stuff do I need to learn in order to write my own material in that vein of music? What concepts, bits of theory, and technical knowledge?

I have a basic understanding of unusual time signatures, but that's about it.

Any help is appreciated.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
im in a prog metal band at the moment...www.myspace.com/mhzband , and although we dont do a lotta self indulgent solos we work on time signature changes and some key changes. Start simply-tool style drop d riffs are good because you can move keys easily.

Try playing something in 7/8 and changing to 6/8 for example. Have song structures and build the song like you would build a house..foundations first then embellishments like harmonys, fx whatever. if you try to write some drum riffs on guitar pro this can help out then working guitar riffs round that.
mess around with the time signatures and everything, and dont listen to coheed and cambria haha
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Quote by GarageGuitarist
Coheed and Cambria

Are you serious?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Yes I'm serious. Don't even tell me Claudio Sanchez is not a good guitarist, because he ****ing is a good guitarist. I admit that they aren't straight up prog rock, and they do have alternative and pop elements in their sound, but their new album is pretty prog-heavy. Check out "The Willing Well I-IV", they are some pretty damn proggy songs.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Incinerate!
DAMNN GOOD TASTE IN MUSIC YOU SA GARAGEGUITARISTSA. I listen to the same shit as you!
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Sweet! I'm like the only kid in my town that listens to music like this - everyone else is too busy bringing sexy back, or moshing to Fall Out Boy. Pussies.

Incinerate!
Quote by walkinbazooka
Are you serious?

An entire story set over at least 5 albums?
Of course it's progressive.
the word progression encapsulates a lot of ground. do self indulgent drum solos class as progressive these days. Conversely do bands like coheed qualify with spaced out song titles. Tool have it right.
Haha - there's more of a progressive aspect to Coheed than their song titles.

I'd rather play more Tool-ish stuf than COheed-ish stuff, though.

Incinerate!
Play around with unusual time signatures and note groupings. The way you phrase notes is crucial to work with your time signatures. Some (myself included) prefer to use 1-2-3-1-2 phrasings in 5/4 time, while other may use 1-2-3-4-1 or 1-1-2-3-1 or other such phrasings.

Try listening to some jazz for unusual note groupings, the song "Take Five" in particular. Miles Davis is also good.
Quote by GarageGuitarist
So, I've been playing for around three and a half years. I know all my fundamentals, I can play some good stuff, and I have an intermediate grasp on music theory. I have a band, and they're all on the same level as me with their respective instruments, although my drummer knows no theory and my other guitarist only knows a little.

I want to play progressive rock/metal, like Tool, Dream Theater, Rush, Isis, Coheed and Cambria, and The Mars Volta.

What kind of stuff do I need to learn in order to write my own material in that vein of music? What concepts, bits of theory, and technical knowledge?

I have a basic understanding of unusual time signatures, but that's about it.

Any help is appreciated.

you listen to prog-metal but not mastodon?!?
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Oh, I listen to Mastodon alright.

Incinerate!
Quote by mr.joopy987
An entire story set over at least 5 albums?
Of course it's progressive.

Concept=/=Progressive
Quote by GarageGuitarist
Oh, I listen to Mastodon alright.

sweet, now go write a concept album!
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Quote by BottleOfSmoke
sweet, now go write a concept album!

I've tried that several times. Difficult stuff
Quote by Blak R Immortal
mess around with the time signatures and everything, and dont listen to coheed and cambria haha

Coheed Kills You!!!
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
look at the lessions here on UG on Art Rock, Im too lazy to get the links but just search it in lessons, Good stuff.
And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes
my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times
I have died, and will die.
It's all right. I don't mind.
Drummers don't need to know theory.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I absolutely love how people trash Coheed and Cambria. They are one of the, if not the, most original bands out there today. and I also love the people that say "Oh, they'd be good if it wasn't for their singer."

Claudio Sanchez is also one of the most original singers, as well. Great guitar riffs, catchy bass lines, what's not to like about the 'Heed.

Yeah, listen to Willing Well I - IV. Some of the best prog songs of the last couple years.
Nikolas