what would be the most ideal pickups for a metal/hardcore sound ive always been told emgz but i dont know which ones are better or which ones are worse, feel free to voice your recomendation
gibson les paul studio white
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider III 150 watt head
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
i would get EMG's. ive played with dimarzio paf pros, x2n, and the duncan invader. passive pickups just dont cut it. now im running an emg 81 and a 60 with 18 volts and its amazing. ill never use a passive pickup again.
Washburn X50
Peavey Triple XXX
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer
MXR M-134 Smart Gate
Furman M8
B-52 LG412
how long do the batterys last?
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
the thing on the websight says 3000 hours. i just recently got them so i cant give you an actual timespan.
Washburn X50
Peavey Triple XXX
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer
MXR M-134 Smart Gate
Furman M8
B-52 LG412
arite thanks for the advice
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
i think anywhere between 600-3000 hours. it is still quite a bit of time, and they really do add a lot. i replaced my bridge pickup in my viper-100fm, and i would never do it another way. it really is great.
emg makes passives tho :-/
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
if i were to get emgs would i have to get the floyd rose kind since i have a floyd rose tremelo?
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
Quote by TehJermie
BKP warpigs eat EMGS for snacks.

mhmmmm they sure do. but i think the miracle man is more similar to the emgs than the pigs. both are ridiculously high output.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by TehJermie
BKP warpigs eat EMGS for snacks.

Firstly- No, that's rather subjective.

Second- Its like comparing a BMW to a Ferarri.

BKP = $300/set

EMG = $150/set

I prefer my EMGs over my BKP any day of the week just because of value alone.
Quote by kanamvar32
mhmmmm they sure do. but i think the miracle man is more similar to the emgs than the pigs. both are ridiculously high output.

This is true. Miracle man is more, "refined" I guess you could say, but when you want ridiculous bass, Warpigs are the way to go, IMO.
still noone answered my floyd rose question :-/
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
you'd need f spaced pickups or 53mm if you have a floyd on your guitar
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by xxgenocide98xx

BKP = $300/set

EMG = $150/set

Well part of the reason BKPs are expensive in the US is because of the USD/GBP exchange rate. I'm sure if someone in England wanted to purchase EMGs they'd be about the same price as BKPs because of taxes, etc. I hear guys wanting to purchase Mesa Boogie amps in england and having to pay twice as much in USD as someone in America would.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by xxgenocide98xx

BKP = $300/set

EMG = $150/set

I have a set of EMGs that I love, but they lack the warmth that you can only get in a passive pup IMO and I might get rid of them soon. If you're serious about your tone, you'll fork over the extra bills. Not saying that value doesn't matter, but if I have a choice between 150 dollar pickups that I'll get rid of or 300 dollar pickups I'll keep forever, I'm dropping the 300. There are a few other little manufacturers that make high output pups that smoke EMGs that cost less than BKPs.
^ which BKPs are you looking at. I want a calibrated set of nailbombs
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

ive never even heard of bkps until today but i think im gunna go with emgz because money and i dont plan on this being my primary guitar forever although i must say im in love with it
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
if you want active emgs can your guitar handle them? i mean is it routed with the battery compartment and everything.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

emg doesnt make active so im gettin passive in the future not now tho tight on money
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
Quote by kanamvar32
^ which BKPs are you looking at. I want a calibrated set of nailbombs

It's a reallllllllllly nice Les Paul custom knock off that I have the ZW EMG set in. Warpig set possibly, or just a Warpig bridge and a mule in the neck.
warpig coldsweat might be nice since lots of ppl like the coldsweat/miracle man. i think the mule might not be able to balance out with a pig. a calibrated warpig set would be sweet too. ive heard clips of guys playing fleetwood mac and crap with the warpig neck so it can clean up real well, especially when tapped.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by kanamvar32
Well part of the reason BKPs are expensive in the US is because of the USD/GBP exchange rate. I'm sure if someone in England wanted to purchase EMGs they'd be about the same price as BKPs because of taxes, etc. I hear guys wanting to purchase Mesa Boogie amps in england and having to pay twice as much in USD as someone in America would.

No really, its the other way around.

They're expensive because they're made in the UK and they're priced to sell in the UK.

Dimarzio, Duncan, Bill Lawerence, and EMG as well as many other pickup manufacturers are and have always been located in the USA. Their prices are all relative.

The fact that EMG are more expensive in the UK has nothing to do with exchange rate or anything else. Its because they have to import them (not a big deal) or because they choose to sell them at such a high price because they can.

That's why BKP are so expensive- because they CAN charge that much.

Fortunately for Americans, buying pickups isn't the equivalent to highway robbery.

Like I said, I'll never buy another set of 6 string pickups from BKP. They just aren't worth it. People argue alot of things against EMG. Things like tone, warmth, ETC. If you want a Metal tone, chances are you don't want warmth. You want a hot, tight and precussive tone. EMG pickups deliver that tone. The only way it would be acceptable to say BKP > EMG is if you were from the UK or europe and have to pay an arm and a leg for pickups.

Quote by seanXhall
emg doesnt make active so im gettin passive in the future not now tho tight on money

Yes, they do make active pickups. They pretty much paved the way in the active pickup market. The EMG 81, EMG 85, EMG 89 and EMG 60 are all active EMG pickups.

Jackson also made active pickups for their guitars in their custom shop.

Seymour Duncan have started a line of active pickups as well.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
No really, its the other way around.

They're expensive because they're made in the UK and they're priced to sell in the UK.

Dimarzio, Duncan, Bill Lawerence, and EMG as well as many other pickup manufacturers are and have always been located in the USA. Their prices are all relative.

The fact that EMG are more expensive in the UK has nothing to do with exchange rate or anything else. Its because they have to import them (not a big deal) or because they choose to sell them at such a high price because they can.

That's why BKP are so expensive- because they CAN charge that much.

Fortunately for Americans, buying pickups isn't the equivalent to highway robbery.

Like I said, I'll never buy another set of 6 string pickups from BKP. They just aren't worth it. People argue alot of things against EMG. Things like tone, warmth, ETC. If you want a Metal tone, chances are you don't want warmth. You want a hot, tight and precussive tone. EMG pickups deliver that tone. The only way it would be acceptable to say BKP > EMG is if you were from the UK or europe and have to pay an arm and a leg for pickups.

Yes, they do make active pickups. They pretty much paved the way in the active pickup market. The EMG 81, EMG 85, EMG 89 and EMG 60 are all active EMG pickups.

Jackson also made active pickups for their guitars in their custom shop.

Seymour Duncan have started a line of active pickups as well.

Don't go there. Sometimes I like to play really brutal death metal type things, in fact, most of what I play would be considered heavy by most people. The first thing I look for when considering any equipment are warmth and a good feel. The pickup could be as brutal as possible, but if it doesn't have an inspiring tone, it will make it hard to play, and even harder to LISTEN to.
it takes 3 leters E....M.....G....!~
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
D-Sonic Bridge

Air Norton- Neck

I get a great Lamb of God tone with those, of course I'm playing through a Mesa also.
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
Quote by kanamvar32
warpig coldsweat might be nice since lots of ppl like the coldsweat/miracle man. i think the mule might not be able to balance out with a pig. a calibrated warpig set would be sweet too. ive heard clips of guys playing fleetwood mac and crap with the warpig neck so it can clean up real well, especially when tapped.

I've heard that they'll do fine together, some special arrangements will have to be made and they'll have to be ordered together though.
Quote by seanXhall

lol noob EMG is famous for active pups! thats what the emg model 81,85,60,sa,s,58,60a,89! are. they also have the hz's but they suck if u want emgs get the 81/85 set for lead stuff or the 81/60 for rythem stuff or 81/81! if you get the emg 89 you can coil tap it!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by clomon
lol noob EMG is famous for active pups! thats what the emg model 81,85,60,sa,s,58,60a,89! are. they also have the hz's but they suck if u want emgs get the 81/85 set for lead stuff or the 81/60 for rythem stuff or 81/81! if you get the emg 89 you can coil tap it!

Cut the attitude you arrogant little prick. He made a mistake, doesn't mean you have to be a douche about it.
If you want to go/stay passive go with Lace Sensor Drop & Gains, if not the EMGs are probably best.
Passive: Dimarzio X2N/ Norton (maybe other for neck)

ACTIVE: EMG is another save route. I prefer 81/60 because IMO the 85 is to harsh for the neck.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
Passive: Dimarzio X2N/ Norton (maybe other for neck)

ACTIVE: EMG is another save route. I prefer 81/60 because IMO the 85 is to harsh for the neck.

I have the 85 in my bridge and an 81 in my neck. Sounds awesome.
Personally I prefer the sound of my Swineshead Venom to my friends EMG 81 which are in similar guitars. The Swineshead is much warmer with more clarity and is a lot cheaper. Its handmade too.
Quote by TehJermie
I have the 85 in my bridge and an 81 in my neck. Sounds awesome.

An 81 is far to hot to put in the neck IMO. I dont even like an 85 there (although I have one there in one of my guitars).
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by clomon

meh im not really familiar with pickups i was just going off of what was on musicians friend and there wasnt one active pickup they were all passive
ibanez rg2250e prestige
line 6 spider II cab
fbv express
Quote by seanXhall
meh im not really familiar with pickups i was just going off of what was on musicians friend and there wasnt one active pickup they were all passive

I wouldn't worry about it. That guy is a turd anyway. He acts like hes 16 but hes really 40
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr

****in great dude