Im thinking of getting Vista for my new laptop, it’s a pretty darn fast one with good specs, but does anyone know if you can run software from say Windows XP on it? And games? For me Vista looks pretty dar cool once you get to figure out how everything works and whatnot, but if I cant use older software than goodbye Vista...

Any feedback at all is muchly apprieated

Tommy.
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
I heard that its tough to get graphics card drivers for Vista at the moment so games may be problematical for a little while.

Most games and software should work. Chances are some of the older ones won't but most should do.
Do you know what kind of graphics card set up i need man?

Cheers
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
my advice - don't get vista

xp will do everything it does faster
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
my advice - don't get vista

xp will do everything it does faster

Probably true...
TS, you don't need a fancy graphics card. It just won't be as pretty.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Vista isn't ready for laptops yet. I can't say this from personal experience, but a friend of mine had a 'Vista ready' laptop and had a lot of difficulty getting it to work properly. I've read about others having issues with laptops too, so I would avoid it for a few months.
dont get vista for at least 6 months after release
Quote by Nelsean

If Brad Pitt hit on me though I would shove one up his bum.

Baby Elite of the Red vs Blue club. PM fret13 to join.

UG spartan #91
I'm using it right now and it isn't running bad at all... Not many bugs to speak of... People have negatively exaggerated a lot about it.

Although there really isn't much to define it as being tons better then XP, it's really just prettier.
I'm using it too.. it's a lot prettier. As Rebourne said there, there aren't that many bugs with it. There are no problems with it.. I've not had it crash or anything like that. The only thing I do seem to have a problem with is Windows Calendar, which doesn't like doing reminders. But I aint using that forever so I don't care.

Get yourself a decent NVidia (ATi suck so don't even go there) and you'll be fine man. Too many people have slagged Vista to death. I have no bloody idea why.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Quote by NemesisX
I'm using it too.. it's a lot prettier. As Rebourne said there, there aren't that many bugs with it. There are no problems with it.. I've not had it crash or anything like that. The only thing I do seem to have a problem with is Windows Calendar, which doesn't like doing reminders. But I aint using that forever so I don't care.

Get yourself a decent NVidia (ATi suck so don't even go there) and you'll be fine man. Too many people have slagged Vista to death. I have no bloody idea why.

Agreed. Vista works fine, no bugs really at all with RC1. I can't wait to get the official upgrade ordered for my laptop.

And just so you know guys, since its a laptop he has, there isn't much point recommending graphics cards, since he's probably stuck with what he has.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Quote by MattIgoe0108
Agreed. Vista works fine, no bugs really at all with RC1. I can't wait to get the official upgrade ordered for my laptop.

And just so you know guys, since its a laptop he has, there isn't much point recommending graphics cards, since he's probably stuck with what he has.

Laptops are customizable like any computer.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
Laptops are customizable like any computer.

That depends on the model normally. The majority that i've seen have the graphics chip inbuilt with no room for expansion.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
^^ He knows what he's on about.

Upgrading a laptop is 50x harder because they're so bitchy.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
NO

I mean, wait until SP1 to get Vista. I put it on an old machine, and it runs fine. But I don't like the idea of upgrading to a new OS that fast.

Get yourself a decent NVidia (ATi suck so don't even go there) and you'll be fine man.
Nice to find another NVidia man
I don't think you should upgrade to Vista until the first service pack is released. I work for a large Vista-related company, who, for the past few weeks, have been getting numerous warnings about the security issues associated with Windows Vista.
Vista and Microsoft in general sucks ass. MACS ARE T' BEST! Microsoft even use Macs to make the OPs and all the widgets and all that kind of crap is copied from them!
Quote by MODE-6
Vista and Microsoft in general sucks ass. MACS ARE T' BEST! Microsoft even use Macs to make the OPs and all the widgets and all that kind of crap is copied from them!

And Macs take longer to execute a task than Windows. With Windows, it's easier to perform tasks. The Macs, while being more stable and less virus-prone free, are harder to operate, in my opinion.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by MODE-6

umm no, they'd have to also change the fike system etc. Windows is still king of the bought OS's
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by MODE-6
Is it balls.

It's only because Windows is so popular that it is so virus/spyware prone. If Mac OS was as popular as Windows is then that'd be the one with the majority of virus problems. Also, if you use the right virus program (I recommend NOD32) and the right anti-spyware (I use Spy Sweeper), make sure you have automatic updates turned on and use a browser such as Firefox or Opera then Windows is pretty much safe from all forms of attack.

On the Vista front, I've never used it, but from what I've heard it still quite buggy so I'd recommend to wait at least 6 months to a year before buying it.