Kind of just a random question here, but does a guitar cable really make a difference? I mean are there specific brands that are better than others or is a cable a cable? Because, I own these cables that are really old and all and i was thinking of getting a new one. I keep asking myself "Am I really getting the most out of my gear?" Suggestions?
Ben
yes guitar cables make a difference. the better your gear the better your cables should be to get the most out of it. if you want to learn more go here
www.lavacable.com
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
as far as i can tell, a cable is a cable, my bass player always brings her monster cable(haha, HER monster cable hahahaha sorry) and it sounds no different than my 5 dollar whirlwind

*i am not liable for any fraudulent charges
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
o yea big difference. dont buy cheapy ones, cuz they'll buzz and make all kinds of extra noise. ive heard monster cables are really good, but expensive. if ur not gigging, u don't need ones that good, generally look for around $1.50-2.00 a foot or more.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Cables are important, not the most important in my opnion. Some cables have gold connectors and things like that (gold is a better conductor of electricity than some of the cheaper metals), but it doesn't make much sense to go that rout unless you have all kinds of money to spend on cables. I'd recomend some Monster or Planet Waves cables, but you don't need the very top of the line by any stretch.
My rig:

Guitars:
Ibanez Jetking 2 (electric)
Hohner HW300-G TBK (acoustic)

Amps:
Peavey Encore 65
Crate CP-150 and building my own cabinet in the summer

Effects:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
just to add to my last post:
a single cable wont make THAT big a difference even tho when i upgraded my cable from a $20 to $60 i could immediately tell the difference, especially with high gain. The time cables make the biggest impact is if you have a pedal board. if you have 5 cables connecting your pedals plus the 2 cables from guitar to pedalboard and pedalboard to amp, quality cables will make a significant difference. Just match up quality of cables with quality of the rest of your gear. If you have a deizel amp, custom shop guitars, and analogman pedals you might as well pay $100 for a 15 ft cable. Still, the price of the cable doesn't really determine quality. There are much better cables for the same price as monster cables. the cable summit review on lavacable is great.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by muffinman123192
I was thinking of getting the Vox Vintage coiled guitar cable. Any good?

how much are you willing to spend on a cable? and how long do you need it to be?
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

I'm kinda new to playing guitar, so what is the average $ for a cable? The Vox coil is $29 for 9 meters. Sound okay?
Ben
do you really need that long of a cable? I use 10-18 ft cables or roughly 3-6meters. if i was you i'd get a planet waves cable. they are surprisingly good for the price.

there is no real average price. a lot of mid to high range cables are about 50-100 for 15ft. the super high end stuff is 200+.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

I was looking on MF, and compared to all the other cables' prices, it seems like a good deal for the money. It's not that i need the length now, it's just:

a) length is a good price with this.
b) if i ever do need it, i'll have it.
Ben
I heard Fulltone cables are good. And you can really tell the difference between them and cheapo cables.

www.fulltone.com
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Well as of now, I don't know what I'm gonna do. But i have to go start my homework (Me = procrastination [it's 9:14]), so thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Man, thank God for UG!
Ben
Those coiled vox cables look really sexy but they probably cause a noticeable change in tone because of their length in the coils. Just find a cable that feels durable and doesn't have plastic ends.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...