Page 1 of 3
bad brains are, in my opinion, one of the best punk bands ever. they are excellent musicians and blend the genres of punk, reggae, and metal almost perfectly. every single one of their albums is amazing. what does everyone else think of bad brains? i don't see them mentioned much on here.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

I don't like Bad Brains but I respect them and understand what they accomplished and understand how they influenced hardcore.
love them
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
I have a strong liking for them, although HR's homophobia was a tad uncalled for
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
There a great band.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
They have a few songs which sound a bit... disjointed to me, when they're blending punk and metal. But only a few, everything else i've heard is fan****ingtastic.

And yeah, HR's homophobia gets on my tits.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
the rastafarianism is the only letdown of bad brains and most of jamaican reggae bands...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

I wish that Pure Hell, The REAL first all-black punk band had gotten the notoriety, instead of homophobic, freeloading narc losers like HR.

No-one ever calls them for being the only DC "punk" band to sell out and have a video on MTV (I Against I).
A friend of mine opened for them around that time and HR was riding around in a limo.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
i dont think you can call them sell outs, because i read if a magazine once that when they were asked to open for U2, HR just got up and left the meeting. they had just about the biggest opurtunity to sell out right there and just shit on it.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Quit bitching.

Just because you are on MTV or are in a limo means you are a sellout. Theres nothing wrong with success if you worked for it. And you all know they damn well worked for it.

I have nothing wrong with punk, but you "punks" need to ****ing chill with all the "if you make a name for yourself, then you suck"
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Cool band, although of what I've heard I only like some. I'd really like to see the band Mos Def has with Dr. Know, Black Jack Johnson, take off. Mos' last album I believe was supposed to be a Black Jack Johnson album but legally it couldn't be released as such because of singer/guitarist Jack Johnson.
Last edited by "Tele" Steve at Jan 30, 2007,
Quote by MattTheArsonist
I think the homophobia was stemmed from their strict rastafarianism, unfortunately.

Yeah, homophobia seems to be a problem in Rastafarianism but it's also a problem in mainstream Christianity, Islam, etc. I didn't know Bad Brains has been so specifically. I know Buju Banton has gotten some flack for being homophobic. The Marleys haven't though as far as I know.
Last edited by "Tele" Steve at Jan 30, 2007,
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Quit bitching.

Just because you are on MTV or are in a limo means you are a sellout. Theres nothing wrong with success if you worked for it. And you all know they damn well worked for it.

I have nothing wrong with punk, but you "punks" need to ****ing chill with all the "if you make a name for yourself, then you suck"

Making a name for yourself is one thing.
Selling out, by putting a video on MTV and riding around in a limo, is another.

You just failed Punk 101, crusto.
You must now write the lyrics to DK's "MTV Get Off The Air" 100 times on the blackboard.

Only suburban posers like you are enthralled with the idea of selling out, getting rich and riding around in a limo, while being in a punk band.
The rest of us have this thing called "integrity" that you'd never understand.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Quit bitching.

what happened to you...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I just downloaded some of their stuff, it's alright though I don't imagine myself listening to them for an extended period of time at once.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by johnnynemo
Making a name for yourself is one thing.
Selling out, by putting a video on MTV and riding around in a limo, is another.

You just failed Punk 101, crusto.
You must now write the lyrics to DK's "MTV Get Off The Air" 100 times on the blackboard.

Only suburban posers like you are enthralled with the idea of selling out, getting rich and riding around in a limo, while being in a punk band.
The rest of us have this thing called "integrity" that you'd never understand.

1. I dont like Crust anymore. I found good music.

2. They worked hard as hell for what they got. So why does it matter that they went on MTV? Whats the matter with some luxury? It's not as if he's supporting slave labor or manufacturing fascist armies or something. They just made a name for themselves.

3. I aint no suburban pussy nemo. I live in the Ghetto of Toledo. And I and most of my family is from Brooklyn and Harlem. I faced more shit in a week than you have in your whole life. (i'm not willing to bet though)

And anyways, whats so wrong with a little luxury?
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Last edited by JohnnyNapalm at Jan 30, 2007,
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
1. I dont like Crust anymore. I found good music.

I love watching crusties get burned out on their crappy music.
I've seen so many of you end up as accountants and insurance salesmen/salespeople.

2. They worked hard as hell for what they got. So why does it matter that they went on MTV? Whats the matter with some luxury? It's not as if he's supporting slave labor or manufacturing fascist armies or something. They just made a name for themselves.

They didn't work hard at all.
HR walked into Yesterday and Today Records in Georgetown and demanded that Skip record them.
Skip talked to Henry Rollins and Ian MacCash, and they that said he should do it.
Then HR came in everyday and glared at Skip, until he paid for and booked the studio.
Skip sent Kim Cane to produce their album, because he knew that HR was insane (we all know that now) which is what the song "Don't Bother Me" is about.

I know the whole story, because I used to buy my records from Skip, before he closed the store, and long before you were even born, new fish.

3. I aint no suburban pussy nemo. I live in the Ghetto of Toledo. And I and most of my family is from Brooklyn and Harlem. I faced more shit in a week than you have in your whole life. (i'm not willing to bet though)

I grew up in hoods all over the country and I still live in the hood.
The ghetto in Austin isn't too bad, really.
I only hear gunshots once or twice a week, and I've only had a couple times where people have tried to rob me on the streets.

Try being homeless on the streets of Philly or NYC, sometime.
I barely survived it.

And anyways, whats so wrong with a little luxury?

Being a rich rock star is the antithesis of being a punk rocker.
Punks don't wear bling bling, son.
Quote by sargasm

Just because they sold out later in their career doesn't mean I'm going to stop enjoying their older music. And just because they weren't the first all-black punk band means I'm going to stop liking them in favor of other all-black bands that came before them. Listening to an all-black punk band isn't a novelty to me, I really don't care what race the people are as long as it sounds good to me. To me, they were an innovative and creative band, and no amount of ranting or whining on your part is going to make me change the type of music I like.
Quote by johnnynemo
Being a rich rock star is the antithesis of being a punk rocker.
Punks don't wear bling bling, son.

wait, you were a homeless person?
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

I got my arm stuck between a 50-foot cliff face and a giant boulder underwater, one time, while hiking out in the wilderness, far from society in the winter. I had to cut my own arm off with a nearby rock and then make my way hundreds of miles to the nearest city, wrestling bears the whole way. After re-attaching my arm, I then sailed to France and incited the revolution, at which point I was sentenced to prison and, although I wrote to him, George Washington ignored my plight. I was sentenced to death, but I got out.

...Or maybe that wasn't me. I forget.
Quote by ratmjb1212
wait, you were a homeless person?

A long, long time ago.
I ran away from my f'ed up home when I was 15 and ended up having to go back, because you can't get a job to support yourself at 15.
Or more correctly, I was having nothing to do with selling myself on the streets.

My folks kicked me out when I was a little older and then I was living with a friend.
The house burned down and I was on the streets.

I squatted for awhile and then the cops closed down all the squats in the area.
After sleeping really rough (like under a car a couple of times), I made some friends who helped me get off the streets.
They knew I didn't want to be there, so they let me shower at their house and borrow some clothes, so that I could get a job.

That's why I have ZERO TOLERANCE for kids who choose to live on the streets because they think its cool.
They take resources away from people who really need help.
Quote by sargasm

Forgot to mention that the first thing I did when I finally got an apartment was help some other people get off the streets.

Not bragging.
Just think it's what everyone should do, if they can.
Quote by sargasm

how old are you, johnnynemo?
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
As old as my tongue and little bit older than my teeth, he said cryptically.

EDIT: I'm not being a prick, mind you.
I'm wary of the "age" thing, because I get a bit tired of people tripping up over the fact that I've seen the sun come up more times than them.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by pinheadslts75
They're music is 50/50, and their offstage antic are not admirable.

2/5 on the 'meh' scale.

That about sums it up.

Actually, saying their music is 50/50 might be giving them too much credit.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
That about sums it up.

Actually, saying their music is 50/50 might be giving them too much credit.

that's my thoughts exactly

yeah, i don't know about HR and bad brains no more either...it's not like there that special...most of their songs are just hardcore, the only difference between them and other hardcore bands is their occational reggae, which i can live without.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by johnnynemo
As old as my tongue and little bit older than my teeth, he said cryptically.

EDIT: I'm not being a prick, mind you.
I'm wary of the "age" thing, because I get a bit tired of people tripping up over the fact that I've seen the sun come up more times than them.

what?
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by Ska Wars
what?

"As old as my tongue and a bit older than my teeth" is a pretty obvious expression, and while that "he said cryptically" narration could be a bit confusing, you should have been able to figure it out.

He says you're a dipshit and that he is as old as he is, and (directly from his thoughts) "[It] is none of your business, jackass."

He adds that the reason for his seemingly being a prick is simply that young'uns tend to trip (and hurt themselves?) over his staggering age, which is, really, an irrelevant issue, as it's just a number. He doesn't trust that you are any more mature than those others who get/have gotten caught up with his age. I imagine that, if you are truly curious about his age, you will first need to show him that you are awesome enough not to make a silly deal about it, and your inability to understand what he wrote isn't exactly a great start towards that goal.

Or were you just being wry when you wrote "what?" That'd make this whole post a big waste of wonderful words.
Quote by RyanEck
"As old as my tongue and a bit older than my teeth" is a pretty obvious expression, and while that "he said cryptically" narration could be a bit confusing, you should have been able to figure it out.

He says you're a dipshit and that he is as old as he is, and (directly from his thoughts) "[It] is none of your business, jackass."

He adds that the reason for his seemingly being a prick is simply that young'uns tend to trip (and hurt themselves?) over his staggering age, which is, really, an irrelevant issue, as it's just a number. He doesn't trust that you are any more mature than those others who get/have gotten caught up with his age. I imagine that, if you are truly curious about his age, you will first need to show him that you are awesome enough not to make a silly deal about it, and your inability to understand what he wrote isn't exactly a great start towards that goal.

Or were you just being wry when you wrote "what?" That'd make this whole post a big waste of wonderful words.

You nailed it on the head, but I don't think Ska Wars is a dipsh*t.
I do think age is largely irrelevant.

I haven't read MRR in forever, but Mykel Board used to write for it and sing in his band Artless.
When kids would heckle him about his age, he'd just simply reply "When you're my age, you 'll be selling life insurance" i.e. those kids will be sold-out yuppie scumbags, while he'll still be a punk.
Quote by sargasm

Page 1 of 3