I would really appreciate an answer to this chord progression

the chords are all bar chords,
G-root 5th string/D-root 5th string/Am-root 6th sting/G-root 6th string

I am confused because I figured the key to be in G, but when playing G Ionian over top of this chord progression it sounds a little off!?!

is this correct?

Major-G
Minor-Am
Minor-Bm
Major-C
Major-D
Minor-Em
Diminished=F#

so G Ionian is a good pick???? Do i jsut suck with Ionian??
When playing chords in G Ionian, playing G Ionian should sound good. Maybe your doing something wrong.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
yeah good pick... but alot of people that are inexperienced, find it hard to solo with major keys, because they don't really understand the sound and havent developed an ear for it. and more so because they are use to the sound of minor soloing.

Just stick to G minor pentatonic, and it will sound good.
Quote by Alfi_d
yeah good pick... but alot of people that are inexperienced, find it hard to solo with major keys, because they don't really understand the sound and havent developed an ear for it. and more so because they are use to the sound of minor soloing.

thanks

when you say "the sound" do you mean like timing and resolving on the g note. I try but still can't get the sound I want. and yeah of course i am most experienced with minor pentatonic, but i'm trying to learn the modes
Resolving on the root or any chord note is always a good step...

anyway, i'll record the progression and do a little solo in the G for you and post it somewhere...

Can you tell me how many bars each chord goes for? if not i'll just do my own rythym

but for now i must leave..

i'll do it tommorow for you
Quote by Alfi_d
Resolving on the root or any chord note is always a good step...

anyway, i'll record the progression and do a little solo in the G for you and post it somewhere...

Can you tell me how many bars each chord goes for? if not i'll just do my own rythym

but for now i must leave..

i'll do it tommorow for you

each chord is one bar, it's kind of a musical break for the rest of the song i am writting

G=X 10 12 12 12 x
D=X 5 7 7 7 X
Am=5 7 7 5 5 5
G= 3 5 5 4 3 3
Quote by Alfi_d

G minor Pent: G Bb C D F

The F won't work because of the D major chord. So if you were wanting to stick to the Minor Pent shape you would have to go E minor, the 6th mode of the G major scale.

The notes we want are: G A B D E.

But if we want to keep it in the minor pent pattern then play the Minor pent on the 12th fret. Starting on the E because it contains the same notes as the G major pentatonic.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Jan 29, 2007,
G min pent =/= G A# C D F
G min pent = G Bb C D F

kthx
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
G min pent =/= G A# C D F
G min pent = G Bb C D F

kthx

Yeah, that actually makes more sense. Thanks, I'll edit it.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??