Hey guys, I'm at a bit of a quandry. It seems like everytime I solo, it always sounds the same. This occurs most often when I try soloing metal style. Everytime I solo, it sounds the same: bluesy and repetitive. I'm in such a big rut, and I don't know how to get out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Learn and listen to alot of metal solos to get the right feel. Use different scales other than the pentatonic scale, don't do as much of the "bend release bend" stuff and work more on phrasing using different intervals.
harmonic minor scale + speed = the beginnings of a metal solo

/thread
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Last edited by davo_333 at Jan 29, 2007,
Phyrgian Dominant gives a good sound just listen to Domination by Pantera
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Learn some more scales and modes. They'll help you become more creative with the knowledge of them.
I'd suggest familiarizing youself with melody. Look at solos by artists that compose their solos as opposed to improvising.

Like David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), etc.

Try composing individual, short melodies for each lick in your solos.

Edit: All of that was assuming you know your scales and modes. Learn things other than pent. or blues. Learn all of your modes.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Phrasing is a big part, learn to add nuances to your playing. Take a bog-standard pentatonic lick...if you deftly pick it, using subtle vibrato and playing with a loose sense of timing it can sound incredibly bluesy. Take that same lick, but attack the strings more, really dig in aggressively using more downstrokes, use wider vibrato and wild overbends, play with a more staccato feel...that aggressiveness comes out in the sound, and that same lick suddenly fits a metal style much better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
what scales are you using?

i've noticed that if you use a major scale instead of a pentatonic scale (even if they're both have the same key) the sound really different
It seems as though I'm stuck using the E minor pentatonic. Its like right where I go to automatically for a solo. I don't even think about it anymore, its like a natural instinct or something like that. It gets very repetitive after a little while. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. Any more are still welcome!
That'll be why it sounds the same! Unless you mean you use that shape but play it in the relevant position. If not, then make sure if the songs in A you're playing A minor pentatonic, not E.

Don't forget to extend the scale too - it's not just that isolated pattern of dots, you can continue the pattern on every time you hit a root note so learn the other places you can play the scale, which is effectively the entire fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com