What pedal to you guys think sounds the heaviest and most distorted, one thats great for playing death metal. Thanks!!

PS: What is the best brand and gauge of string for metal?? Thanks again!!
Last edited by me33 at Jan 28, 2007,
Yeeeeccch! Don't get that piece of digitech garbage. Sorry, but it's nothing but buzz and mud from the experience I've had with it. I'm sure there are better choices out there, but all I can tell you without overstepping my experience is stay the fook away from that pedal.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
metal muff ftw (how many times have i typed that)

note: heaviness can be dialed with most pedals with eq

actually i dunno if its ftw anymore cos to be honest i have no idea wat exactly death metal is
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Yeeeeccch! Don't get that piece of digitech garbage. Sorry, but it's nothing but buzz and mud from the experience I've had with it. I'm sure there are better choices out there, but all I can tell you without overstepping my experience is stay the fook away from that pedal.

Were you trying it out somewhere? Maybe the battery was getting low. I haven't actually played the deathmetal one but I know my pedal doesn't sound as clear when the battery goes.
Quote by CapnKickass
Were you trying it out somewhere? Maybe the battery was getting low. I haven't actually played the deathmetal one but I know my pedal doesn't sound as clear when the battery goes.

It was at a guitar store (can't quite remember which) but it was hooked up to a chained power supply with several other pedals. The others sound good, but with the Death Metal it's like they tried too hard to just cram as much gain in without any concern for tone or clarity. Even as far as digital effects go it's pretty terrible.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Metal Muff, or a Jekyll and Hyde? I've heard nothing but good about them.
ds-1 ... Metal Zone

strings ... .11 gauge or higher
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by Charso
Metal Muff, or a Jekyll and Hyde? I've heard nothing but good about them.

i agree with the metal muff but i doubt the jekyll and hyde would be good for metal
personally, i'd avoid MT2

you can try the Tech 21 Sansamp GT2, very natural-warm sounding analog pedal. I have one myself. If possible try to get the older model, the ones with the LED on the side, those have tighter gain compared to the newer models with the LED on the top. On the bad side, its a lil more pricier than your standard MT2, but it worth the money. You can also play around with the other settings like cleans etc.
well, the sansamp is good because it also gives a lot of other options. i've heard that the jekyll and hyde is really good. But try scooping (Removing) your mids!
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
The Jekyll and Hyde can supposidly do just about any type of dist/OD that you want with tweaking, and not only that, but it sounds great! heh.

But if you dont wanna try it, then Metal Muff is a good option to look in to.
i've tried the jekyll and hyde, the distortion channel wasnt all that great though, a lil thin sounding. But the overdrive channel was pretty alright, has a mid bump to it making it sound like a tubescreamer
avoid digitech metal master and boss mt-2. tech 21 sansamp gt-2 is great.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

the Metal muff is a great pedal for any type of hard distortion.. from hard rock to brutal death metal
i just bought one the other day.. , oh and it does a great southern rock/metal sound aswell. realy great.
i was impressed with a MT-2 through a fender delux tube amp, but all distortion pedals sound like crap with solid state amps imho.

check out the Line 6 Uber Metal, i like that one too.
I tried the uber metal, a bit low-midrange muddy sounding sometimes...
Quote by me33
What pedal to you guys think sounds the heaviest and most distorted, one thats great for playing death metal. Thanks!!

PS: What is the best brand and gauge of string for metal?? Thanks again!!

what amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay, so it seems pretty much narrowed down to the metal muff and teh sansamp GT2. I found the metal muff for $99, and the sansamp for $189. Is the sansamp worth the $89 price difference, or would I be doing myself a favor by saving $89 and just going with the metal muff?
Just tried the BOSS "Metal Core" pedal the ML-2. SOUNDS REALLY GOOD
^ur about to buy an MG? or about to be sold?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

No, i meant, someone's gonna buy my MG. As of now, a friend's lending me his JCM800
^nice. the wording had me nervous.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Lol. I CANT believe i actually used to LIKE that amp. ugggghhh. No wonder my jazz tones sounded muddy and horrible.

Back to topic:

I think the sansamp is worth it.. But check out the boss ML-2
EH Metal Muff.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Saw the Metalcore in a NAMM video and it seems to sound pretty alright, but the name has a lot of people put off :P.
whats your effects chain at the moment btw?
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
metalcore pedal? must be new, i'm gonna have to check that out.

i have to agree with everyone saying get the metal muff, it's has a such a smooth but grindy tone to it. the EQ boosts/cuts go really far, but combined with something like the mxr 10 band eq it's just insane.

if you have a decent tube amp and you want to get a better crunch you might just want to get a seymore duncan pickup booster. it'll push the tubes harder and you'll get more gain out of it.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Here's what the Metal Muff sounds like, I think it would be good for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihmAQRT7b_M
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp