Im working on a very strange guitar project and need to know what can block magnetic fields? something practical and easy to obtain...

isnt there some sort of pickup that doesnt use magnetism or something?? what if you had nylon strings?
Peizos don't use magnets, they use vibrations.

Distance can cancel out some magnetism, which is why if you put a pickup close to a string, it's louder, and if you take it farther away, it's quieter.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
cool thanks for the help...what I plan on doing is building a guitar with the pickups mounted horizontally and then having two separate outputs. that way you can play two different parts at once through two separate amps. I might be crazy but its kind of a cool idea. So i need to somehow keep signals to each pickup separate. I was thinking two humbuckers....three strings to each one. but the problem is that like the D and G strings would bleed through to each pickup...that is where blocking the signals or something comes in....any ideas??
im not very familiar with piezos at all or Variaxs...so are you saying that this idea is actually possible with little or no bleed thru??

so something like this?? and then just split it out to two input jacks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LR-Baggs-X-Bridge-Vintage-Strat-Piezo-Guitar-Pickup-NEW_W0QQitemZ130074550234QQihZ003QQcategoryZ22670QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by piecies_81 at Jan 30, 2007,
cool thanks for the help...what I plan on doing is building a guitar with the pickups mounted horizontally and then having two separate outputs. that way you can play two different parts at once through two separate amps. I might be crazy but its kind of a cool idea. So i need to somehow keep signals to each pickup separate. I was thinking two humbuckers....three strings to each one. but the problem is that like the D and G strings would bleed through to each pickup...that is where blocking the signals or something comes in....any ideas??

you could go the whole hog and build a kramer ripley

http://www.vintagekramer.com/ripley.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I really think this is a pretty stupid idea.

A Stereo Guitar? Sure. No problem.

But to have two pickups, one of which only picks up the treble strings, and another that only picks up the bass strings...

Well, what's the point? The bass strings won't magically become a bass, and the treble strings won't become a mandolin. All you're doing is sticking two half-guitars together.
The point - so you can have it sound as if two different guitar parts are being played at once, instead having two guitarist or layering the tracks.
Quote by piecies_81
The point - so you can have it sound as if two different guitar parts are being played at once, instead having two guitarist or layering the tracks.

But you won't have two guitar parts at once.

You'll have one pickup for the bass strings, and one pickup for the treble.

It won't be two guitar parts any more than folk-style fingerpicking is.

If you want a stereo guitar, that's one thing. You can even hook it up so that each output is connected to a pickup.

But trying to have it so that the bass strings output to one amp, and the treble strings output to another is just going to give you exactly what it sounds like - bass from one side of the room, and treble from the other.

You'll be doing the exact same thing as folk-style fingerpicking in the Dylan mode, but you'll have it coming out of two different amps.

What sound are you trying to achieve with it?
The best thing I know of to shild magnetic fields is something called mumetal. It's what they make the zeroing chambers for gauss meters out of. Super expensive stuff, but it'll do the job better than anything else and you don't need THAT much of the stuff.
Not taking any online orders.
Stagg is right, the only way to get a real layered sound is to have a stereo output with one pickup for each. BB King has it on Lucille.

You could get a layerd sound by still having a stereo Y cable, and then sending the signal to two differently voiced amps. It's called bi-amping (or dual-amping), and is used primarily in bass to have a thicker sound. This is done by having one overdriven amp, and one clean amp.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I dont think layered was term i should have used....with two separate outputs and two separate amps, you can have two separate tones or parts or whatever you want to call them, being played at once with one guitarist. Imagine a rhythm being played from the three lower strings, and then a lead being played with some overdrive or any other effect on the high three. This was all my friends idea...he gets kind of crazy with finger picking and sweep picking. im just the builder, lol. anyways, I think ill have to mess with piezos to get this to work correctly.I think this could be pretty interesting if I get it built right. That Kramer mentioned earlier looks pretty interesting, but way to many wires and knobs, lol.
what about chords? you'd be a bit ****ed!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Well, I'd expect Buyer's Remorse...

But I figure, if you can split the bridge into two separate matres of 3 saddles each, and fit the two sets of saddles with a piezo each... You'd pretty much have it.