When you play rhythm guitar you have a continuous right hand movement. When playing a single string like in a solo, do you also move your right hand up and down to stay in rhythm or do you simply count to stay in rhythm?

Another question in rhythm guitar or guitar in general, do you always generally count one and two and three and four in your head all the time or does it just become part of you with practice?
metronome? helps, or playing with a drummer
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
1. It depends on what I'm doing. I get into the groove most of the time, and never have to think about timing, it just happens. Other times I do, if it's something like off-beat upstrokes.

2. For myself, I don't have to count. I know when a bar should end and begin. If it's something like shifting between 12/8 and 13/8 time, I have to practice at it, and break it down though; but then it becomes simple after a little bit of practice, just have to be conscious of the time change.
I was just playing chords and singing tonight for a worship service at church. And when you play rhythm guitar you obviously move your right hand at the tempo. And if its just single notes, i sometimes do. Like ill just swing my hand around a bit. Not usually though.

And for question 2, it comes natural. Its much easier with a drummer though (which we didnt have tonight, jeez that was rough, always slowing down). So ya just practice it and it will become natural.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Andysf
i use the bass player for timing not the drummer.

why would u do that? the drummers actually supposed to be the guy who keeps time
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
was taught that by a band I was in when I couldn't keep time. Prolly cause the bass player was good and the drummer was not. Now I have a quandry!
Yeah, as far as solos go, I just know by 'feel' when a bar begins and ends. Same goes for rhythm, I don't have to count, or have a metronome, or a drummer, I just naturally have rhythm I guess?
Quote by JeffReigns
Yeah, as far as solos go, I just know by 'feel' when a bar begins and ends. Same goes for rhythm, I don't have to count, or have a metronome, or a drummer, I just naturally have rhythm I guess?
You're subconsciencely counting. I suppose that could be called natural rhythm.

I usually tap my foot, move my pciking hand, listen to the drummer, or jjst count in my head.
^ i'm the same way, i naturally move to the music, be it swaying, bobbing my head, tapping my foot or whatever.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You're subconsciencely counting. I suppose that could be called natural rhythm.

I usually tap my foot, move my pciking hand, listen to the drummer, or jjst count in my head.

do you note a new bar by hitting your foot harder or something?
i dont get how u dont know when a bar ends, you just fell it. like in back in black intro, you know when the bar ends, and you know when it begins, 4/4
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112