Ive been practicing scales for lead, but im not sure what to practice for rhythm. all i know is open chords and bar chords. Also for metal what chords do i use apart from 5ths? can i just make up chords with notes from a scale?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
thanks but

"You can use all of the 7 intervals in whatever key your are playing in, but the sweet spots in my opinion are one and four."

Are you saying that chords that use the 1st or 4th as the root sound good? sorry but im still learning the basics of theory.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
For each degree of the scale there are what chords you should play:

1-major
2-minor
3-minor
4-major
5-major
6-minor
7-diminished

So if we are in the key of A for example, and an A note comes along, then play A major. If a C comes along, then play C minor. If an E comes along, play E major, etc, etc.

So try to remember that when you are playing, and you will make some good chord progressions.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Thanks! when should 7th be used?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by davo_333
Thanks! when should 7th be used?

Well the 7th can be used with any of those chords such as major 7, minor 7, diminished 7 etc. 7 chords are used more for jazz, and are hard (for me at least) to make them sound good within normal chords.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Sorry I screwed up here. The 5th degree should be dominant, not major. You dont have to worry about dominant chords when playing just major chords. A dominant chord is when you flat the 7th of the chord, however, in this case, we dont have a 7th in the chord, so we just keep it in the 1-3-5 format, which is basically a major chord.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
^^is this stuff on a website?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by davo_333
^^is this stuff on a website?

Oh ya its all over the place. But its good to just know this stuff too because its pretty simple once you get it.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help