Here lately, I have noticed that most heavy or even melodic rock uses a lot of arpeggios and powerchords with a few chords here and there. But I notice they either use same notes and downtune. This how most rock players are?
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
What do you mean by "same notes"?

Anyways, yes, most rock players use power chords. And no, most rock players don't down-tune (that's predominantly in the metal genre and all its sub-genres, with of course occasional exceptions).
What kind of rock are you listening to? SOme bands do only use powerchords and nothing else , while others use techniques which blow your mind away.

EDIT:

*ahem*

Quote by yawn
What do you mean by "same notes"?

Anyways, yes, most rock players use power chords. And no, most rock players don't down-tune (that's predominantly in the metal genre and all its sub-genres, with of course occasional exceptions).

MOST of it's subgenres, but not all Yes I know I'm a bitch
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Last edited by NovemberRain273 at Jan 29, 2007,
i personally tend to add the 5th below and a 9th above to make my guitar sound a lot bigger, considering we are only a three piece.
^ Well, not really...

For songs that use electric guitar, yes. Otherwise, not quite so.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i would go far enough to say the power chord is important to any music at all.

I dissagree
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Quote by z4twenny
^ i would go far enough to say the power chord is important to any music at all.

Yes, classical guitar, fingerstlye, etc. is very power chord driven.
Quote by ridder
i personally tend to add the 5th below and a 9th above to make my guitar sound a lot bigger, considering we are only a three piece.

... would that look like this?
-
-
-
Quote by CuatroSD

Not really
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Quote by NovemberRain273
What kind of rock are you listening to? SOme bands do only use powerchords and nothing else , while others use techniques which blow your mind away.

EDIT:

*ahem*

MOST of it's subgenres, but not all Yes I know I'm a bitch

No, I would definitely say that bands in every metal sub-genre downtune. Just not every band does. Thar be a difference.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by bbsbass
... would that look like this?
-
-
-

well i normally use it like this: (for example a C chord)

e---
b-3- < the 9th
g-5- < the octave
d-5- < the fifth
a-3- < the root
e-3- < the fifth below.
^ If I were to play that on my electric guitar w/ the distortion on, it would sound like poop.
sounds nice to me but meh.

i probably have different tone too.
Quote by yawn
^ Well, not really...

For songs that use electric guitar, yes. Otherwise, not quite so.

+1.

but just because its used a lot doesnt mean you shouldnt. theres a reason it IS used quite a bit. and even if things like classical guitar doesnt use 'Power Chords' just about every genre uses a root/fifth combination quite a bit
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Yeah a lot of medieval music uses a bourdon fifth (not sure if that is the correct name) wich is basically the same as a powerchord
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
yeah, but there are plenty who don't. I tend to follow those guys

Mike Einziger, Matt Bellamy, Claudio Sanchez...
^ Yup to Matthew Bellamy.

In fact, here's something I posted in the Muse thread a while ago:

Quote by me
Wow...I just realized there isn't a SINGLE power chord progression on all Origin of Symmetry!

New Born
Bliss
Space Dementia
Hyper Music
Plug In Baby
Citizen Erased
Microcuts
Screenager
Darkshines
Feeling Good
Megalomania

NONE of them use power chords! That's awesome!

(p.s. - Citizen Erased might use them, not sure...)

Anyways, I'm in the process of writing a new album, and thanks to Muse, I've decided to not use a single power chord in the entire album
Time is running out uses them as does hysteria. But when they work is when they aren't used arbitrarily
Quote by CuatroSD

hmm....not really. That wouldn't sound too interesting with just roots and 5ths
that post was dripping with sarcasm, how did people miss it.

internets...
Stop with the lame "lol power chords r easy no1 shud play tehm!" bullshit. It is a combination of a root and a fifth. Just musical intervals. It isn't a guitar thing, it is a music thing. You shooperstarz need to pull your heads out of your asses and see music for what it is, which is MUSIC, not difficulty level.
Quote by yawn
^ Yup to Matthew Bellamy.

In fact, here's something I posted in the Muse thread a while ago:

citizen erased and hyper music could use powerschords depending on how you think it is played....
^ Citizen Erased yes, Hyper Music, well, Iguess you say it uses power chords, but it's definitely not in the traditional "power chord progression" form.
yeah, there are a few single notes in the riff to hypermusic, diluting its powerchord purity.

The riff to feeling good might use PCs as well....?
aha, that tab seems to be a guitar transcrition of the keyboard part. Looking at some other tabs, and using my ears, I believe the heavy part plays the riff in powerchords in Drop D.

I feel quite mean for raining on your parade now. I just wanted to show I like muse too
^ Heh, oh well. I guess the predominant factor is that none of the songs on that album are driven strictly by simple power chord progressions, and that the utilizations of power chords are only to amplify the musicianship of accompanying instrumental parts of higher musical integrity.
Indeed. I wouldn't base a song simply on a powerchord progression (without a more complex riff on top). However, I am not oppose powerchord riffs.
I use powerchords a lot. It fits what I play. But I add lots of 7ths maj7, m7 and other 7th chords of different qualities to my playing. I'll roll down the volume on my strat and play them, and they're a little muddy. But not much. Arpeggios work great too.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
i would go far enough to say the power chord is important to any music at all.

I'd go as far as to say that the powerchord in itself is utterly irrelevant...

...as in the powerchord as a stand-alone musical entity has no purpose, powerchords are only actually useful due to what they are derived from. The option to reduce a chord down to a basic root and 5th interval is a handy musical tool, it removes the tonality so gives you more options with regards to what you can play over it. From a purely sonic point of view the major third can sound dissonant under heavy distortion so removing it is often desirable.

A modestly accomplished musician playing an instrument capable of chords, guitarist or otherwise, will naturally discover powerchords out of necessity without ever actually having to learn them specifically. That's why I think they're kind of moot - if you're learning to play the instrument proplerly then you'll learn powerchords without realising.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, you'll never hear a power chord in classical Indian music.
there are alot of bands that combine power chords, chords, everything you know, it all really depends on how you play it, an wat ur aiming for, or trying to produce.
if it weren't for power chords, there wouldn't have been metallica and..... only virtuosic guitarists that hore out those high notes , i think what they call power metal?? like dragonforce
Horhay Garbahosah

"Take a Minute and take a sniff at your feet............................ now your fingers...................................... now........ inside your fingernails ........................... Which smells worse???