What is the best choice of pickups for a fat strat? I'm probably going to get a Fender MIM. I like rock, punk, metal, and grunge.

I'd use the neck for the less crunchy rock, punk and grunge and the bridge for everything else (for overdriven sounds). I'd use the middle for cleans and the odd bit of blues/classic rock (Hendrix etc.) and to tone down the aggression for positions 2 and 4.

I've done a little research and have these ideas:

Neck:

Dimarzio Chopper (apparently quite muddy though so I don't know)
Dimarzio Fasttrack 1
Dimarzio Cruiser

Middle:

Dimarzio Area 61
Dimarzio Area 58

Bridge:

Dimarzio Super Distortion
Bareknuckle Nailbomb
Seymour Duncan JB-4
Gibson Dirty Fingers

I realise that I have almost only Dimarzio pickups there, this is only because my local shop stocks them and would sell them at a great price and install them free. I am open to suggestion for other brands though.
Chief arsonist of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join
Get that ****ing nailbomb for the bridge, you will NOT regret it.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
They sound awesome from what I've heard of them but I dunno, is there a good substitute that isn't so damn expensive?
Chief arsonist of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join
Check out swineshead for good pickups. Very good price and very customisable.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Will do. Any specific pickups?
For the humbucker the swineshead Runaway and Warthog pickups seem good. Opinions on those?
Can't go wrong with eithr of those dude. Thinking of picking up either of those myself. A friend of mine has some on his guitar and they are amazing. Love the idea of being able to have wood tops on them too. :P
Thanks for the advice.
If you went Seymour Duncan...

Neck = SVR-1 vintage rails or SCR-1 cool rails or STK-S2 hot stack

Middle = STK-S4 classic stack or SSL-1 vintage

Bridge = SH-4 JB or SH-1 ’59 (they make single coil sized versions of these if you went with a typical S/S/S Strat)
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Last edited by Staz80 at Jan 29, 2007,
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out on the web site and download sound bites.