someday i was wondering about it, what's commercial?
talkin about music albums, and about old albums, cos i like them, but all are useful i think

1- when an album sells a lot, this album is the most commercial of the band.
why? many reasons to say that, or to reject (and why its commercial):

-- cos the band has more publicity now, many more people know them now and the buy their album, the last

-- cos many magazines say this is their best album, and much people try it

-- many old fans decide to buy the original album against to download this (but its a new event, it isnt right for old albums)

-- coz someone of the group die, and then you get a lot of publicity and the band become so fckn famous, even so the album is so extremely.

-----------------------------

-- coz there is a "super-hit" and many people buy the album for the hit
--- and the "super-hit" is so fckin commercial and is played in the radio, tv and etc, so there's a lot of publicity and the hidden group is now at the top

-- the album is more accesible, what's the meaning of this?
----many songs less than 4 min
----easily structures, like that:
intro - verse - chorus (same as intro) - verse - verse - intro - fade
----lyrics not so conceptual
----sticky riffs (this is arguable, cos hells bells is sticky and its not commercial, or yes?)

-- coz they mould their style for taking more fans (like the black album, metallica)

-- coz they are searchin that, yes, many bands do that! they do a commercial album to get success, money and more (californication, born in the u.s.a.)

-- coz the producer, manager, discography or others force them to do that, and they cant reject, for many reasons.

so...i cant think more reasons.......try and write
Quote by punkrockdude2
um...what?

+1 I guess you're talking about what makes a band famous enough to be classified as commercial. But some of those last things don't really fit in.
Commercial music isn't about how much a album sells in the first place...

Commercial music is music that is made for a big public...
For example... a band that normally makes progrsessive rock or hard rock etc. and then all of a sudden makes a album that isn't hard or experimental at all but just the kind of music that is in the charts... then it's commercial!

Commercial music is just music that the average person likes... no exerimental, progressive or other kind of music....
Any band that allows their music to be sold is commercial. In order for a band to not be commercial, they'd have to distribute their songs for free.

But the term is sometimes used with a slightly different and more ambiguous meaning. Sometimes it has the same meaning as "mainstream", i.e. bands who you frequently hear on the radio, on TV, in other words for whom marketing and media coverage is very important, sometimes more important than the music ittself.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
lets use pantera for this example of commercial
Phil: say dimebag i need to chill out i got too drunk last nite on stage!
dimbag: well why not chillout with our new album Cowboys FRom Hell! its been shown to eliminate 90% of all shitty metalcore poser bands like MCR or Panic
Phil: really on my budget can i afford it!?
dimebag: just go to www.pantera.com or any of your local music retail stores and mention this advertisement and get a heavy metal discount of 10% ROCK ON!
Phil: too right dime, too right
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Quote by Mad Marius
Any band that allows their music to be sold is commercial. In order for a band to not be commercial, they'd have to distribute their songs for free.

But the term is sometimes used with a slightly different and more ambiguous meaning. Sometimes it has the same meaning as "mainstream", i.e. bands who you frequently hear on the radio, on TV, in other words for whom marketing and media coverage is very important, sometimes more important than the music ittself.

so when you are selling your music knowing that its a shit, you are commercial......always thinkin that the shit music is the commercial

and sorry, but im not english, and many words can be wrong
Generally, all music is written for financial gain. When bands 'make it', they're living well-off on the money that they earned from playing their music.
But what is considered 'commercial' or 'mainstream' is music that is written to make as much money as possible, usually in a short space of time and written in a genre that is popular at the time (the current emo/hardcore scene and pop/hip-hop strand are examples), and written solely for this purpose. The average rock band wants to live off the money that they make from writing/playing, but they also crave the adrenaline rush from playing in front of a full house, or their talent for their respective instruments being recognised by their peers. So wanting to earn moeny by playing your music isn't such a bad thing, but that should come from giving fans what they want, instead of giving the record executives what they want.
PIT-DWELLER

Member #1 - UG RIP Cliff Burton Club: 11 members!! (PM Me to join).
Member #6 - Official Angus Young Fan Club.
Member #4 - RATM Club.
Member #4 - 'Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy' club