I don't want this to get into a discussion of which one is better, rather what are the differences? Which type of music does each combo cater to? Any info would help.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Well im not an expert on pickups but from what ive heard and read about and stuff EMG's are high output actives which makes them good for metal, not so good for other types of music but the duncans are a more all round type of pickups that can do everything not amazingly but still quite decent. but i dunno ive only actually tried out the EMG's.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
EMGS are good for everything but amazing at metal and u get lovley crunches with the PM's. you can still get a very nice clean sound out of them as long as ur amp is good enough 2.
Quote by SparrowHawk2003
EMGS are good for everything but amazing at metal and u get lovley crunches with the PM's. you can still get a very nice clean sound out of them as long as ur amp is good enough 2.

yeah ive got the EMG's and i love their cleans, especially with a chorus pedal, but a lot of people say their cleans suck and im not fussy with cleans

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
The Duncans are going to have fuller tone than the EMGs. The active EMGs give you more headroom, but the clean tone seems a bit brittle. Either one is good for metal, but it depends what ype of metal. If you're playing Drop-B sh*t metal, then EMGs will be better for you.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
id say get the emg 81/60 set, a lot more diversity there as the 85/81 set gives you 2 very trebly high output pickups and can be kind of limiting.

the 81/60 combo however lets you keep a great metal tone but the 60 (while still obviously high output) is a nice smooth pickup with a good bass response that gives you a fuller tone without cutting out the higher frequencies. over all the 60 is a lot more rounded in the neck than the 85, and ofc, you may not care much about cleans but if you ever need them they'll be there with the 60

always better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon