Page 1 of 2
Yeah, so my friend's parents gave him $1800AU, and he is going to buy a new amp and guitar. Me and him are going to town tomorrow to find some stuff. He loves Metallica, and there is a Randall G3 for $1000 which should be the ticket for that. He could also get a Crybaby for about $200, because he loves Kirk Hammett. That leaves him with about $600 for a guitar, and iv'e come here for advice.

So, what would be a good mid-priced guitar for heavy music. He kind of wants an Ibanez, but there are soo many better options than that(lower-end Ibanez with stock pickups sound bad IMO). Maybe some ESP with a floyd would be good, but i don't know of any good ESP guitars. Suggestions please.
This might seem predictable, but...

Kirk Hammet Signature?

KH-202
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
if he already has a guitar then buy an amp, because its impossible to get a stack for 1800 dollars. thats basically just enough for the head. what i would do, is buy the nicest combo or stack available, then resave for a nicer guitar. crybabys are a piece of crap and the only reason that kirk hammets sounds good is because it is one of the vintage ones that hes used since the 80's and had since the 70's. kirk hammet uses a mesa boogie so what i would suggest is saving money, buying a triple rec, and using the guitar he already has. kirk hammets tone isnt to complicated and can be achieved basically with any amp and any guitar. esps are great but the cheaper ones with the floyds fly out of tune as soon as you use the tremello, ibanezes are great guitars no matter how expensive.
Quote by DeadMansCurve
He could also get a Crybaby for about $200, because he loves Kirk Hammett

If he's really set on an Ibanez, an RG15xx is probably a good investment.
well maybe an MH-400 i tried it and it was pretty good
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
^ To Mattlgoe, they're over a grand here. I thing he should buy a good second hand guitar myself, but i think he wants to go new. What about guitars like Washburn, are they cheap and good?

Btw, the amp is a 212 combo, and the music store is still having it's christmas sale, so it is ridiculously cheap. I played it a few times and believe me, it can do Metallica, Pantera, any rock music.

Also, he already has a guitar. Problem is that it's neck is so bent im not sure its fixable, but it does sound good(its an ibanez copy with a floyd copy.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Jan 29, 2007,
^to Shredlet, that guitar looks awesome, but he doesnt have enough money for it. he could leave out the wah pedal and then he could afford a better guitar, but hes only gonna have like $600 if he gets the other stuff.
Does anyone have any good amp(combo's) suggestions for a reasonable price. Hughes and kettner SS amps sound great, but im not sure of the price. DONT MENTION LINE 6 OR MG'S! Vox AD's would do metallica also, wouldnt it?

Btw, hes been playong for about a year, and has good very good technique for playing lead, but has horrible sense of rhythm.
about 90 percent of your tone and sound is the amp. so spend the money on an amp. resave and get a Gibson V or X-plorer
lower end guitars have licenced FRs, which wear out a lot quiker than originals do, so maybe get a hardtail, and also low end LTD/ESP's have agathis bodies, not good for metal. Maybe look a the ibanez RG321, (mahagany body, nice thin neck for shredding (if he shreds) hardtail bridge) although a pup change would be neccesary. maybe an Ibanez SZ, as htey have duncan designed pups
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Yeah, i think he should just take his guitar in and get it fixed. But, ESP LTD's go for around $600 around here, so that should be reasonable, and they have better sounding pickups than factory Ibanezes.
Ok, i have had a change of thought on this. I reckon we'll try out the Vox AD50 (is it loud?), Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue(tried it and it's one of the best sounding amps ive tried, but might not do metallica), and i just remembered one of my friends has a mahogany ibanez that sounds very good, and was only like $600. Then he'll have money for some effects pedals. Plus, i want to steer him away from Floyd Rose's because they are a bitch to tune and don't really get used that often.

How does that sound?
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Jan 29, 2007,
what about ltd ex 400 ?
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex.html
not neccisarly (sp?) kirk hammet but i think james uses or used one like that before + it has emgs and i think its pretty cheap

only $630
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by Satch_Boogie
Seriously, go for Vox AD30VT. Awesome amp, great tone, nice effects.

for metallica??? i dont think so.

tallica use dual recterfiers but theyre probs too expensive, id perhaps think about spending the whole lot on a engl powerball (or the cheaper fireball or screamer) or maybe a framus dragon (the cobra is the real beast but its out of your price range), they will last a lifetime and there are no substitutes for that kinda metal tone.

when ure spending that sort money DO NOT COMPROMISE.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Jan 29, 2007,
Quote by lanzaa
what about ltd ex 400 ?
not neccisarly (sp?) kirk hammet but i think james uses or used one like that before + it has emgs and i think its pretty cheap

only $630

Yeah James uses those, but they are amazing guitars for the price, +1
He should only need a 100 watt combo, that will be loud enough, and if he gets into a band, he can mic it up. Sure, Engl's and Mesa's are good, but they are only things you should have if your gigging and can crank them up. He can get a few pedals and create a sound he likes. He also loves Pantera, so he could also go for that type of tone.
Another idea, the Peavey Studio Pro is a good idea. The clean is excellent, but the distortion isn't really made for metallica. But i have played the studio pro's a few times and they sound good and are fairly cheap. Then he can get a pedal for distortion.
Quote by lanzaa
what about ltd ex 400 ?

only $630

Try about AU$1,400+

My suggestion would be to scrap the Cry Baby and get an Ibanez SZ320

http://www.allansmusic.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=SZ320BK
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=SZ320MHWBR

The wah can be bought later.
my handy dandy converter says its only about 817 au dollars but i guess they price differently there....

oh well that sucks
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by Atreideslegend

tallica use dual recterfiers but theyre probs too expensive, id perhaps think about spending the whole lot on a engl powerball (or the cheaper fireball or screamer) or maybe a framus dragon (the cobra is the real beast but its out of your price range), they will last a lifetime and there are no substitutes for that kinda metal tone.

Both Framus amps are great for metal but the Cobra is only $100 more than the Dragon.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by DeadMansCurve
^ To Mattlgoe, they're over a grand here. I thing he should buy a good second hand guitar myself, but i think he wants to go new. What about guitars like Washburn, are they cheap and good?

washburns are very good for the price they ask. here, a X50 (non trem) is about 550 USD here. im not sure if you will have the cash (710 AUD) plus, it may be a bit higher since you are in australia.

but i would drop the effects for now, they arent essential to to having a good set up, just a good tone, plus, you can always get a wah later.

thats my 2 cents.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Atreideslegend

when ure spending that sort money DO NOT COMPROMISE.

ENGL Powerball head RRP AU$4,000
ENGL Fireball head RRP AU$2,800
ENGL Screamer combo RRP AU$2,500
Framus Dragon head RRP AU$4,000

Guys there is more to it than just changing the dollars from US to AU, there's things like freight and taxes. If you want to choose one in AU dollars pick something from an aussie site.

http://www.guitar.com.au/
http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/news/
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/
Last edited by treagar at Jan 29, 2007,
Quote by MattIgoe0108
This might seem predictable, but...

Kirk Hammet Signature?

KH-202

I personally hate the feel of Kirk's 202..yet again, it was an LTD model.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Alright, update. We went to town today, and after checking out 3 music stores, we have the stuff. We got a Marshall AVT50 for $750 which sounds very good, especially the clean channel. We got a Jackson guitar (not sure what model, i think it was a dinky) with a floyd rose copy for $630AU.

Yeah, hes happy with the stuff and it really should keep him playing to his hearts content. The amp is very loud so he probably wont need to upgrade that thing unless he gets famous, and the guitar seems fairly good, but i think he'll end up buying another guitar (like we all do). Yeah, there you have it.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Jan 30, 2007,
^to Atreideslegend, i saw an Engl 212 combo (it was the Fireball i think) for $2000, but thaqt's something that needs to be cranked to it's highest volume to get the best sounds from, and it doesnt help living in the suburbs. Plus, he didnt have that much money.
An AVT50? Oh dear... I seriously hope you guys weren't high when you went in to the store. The AVT is just about as bad as an MG imo..
^That's not true. The AVT was made in england for a start, where the MG was made in India(i have played the MG and it is horrible, but this thing is very different). Second it has a valve in it and you can hear the warmth coming through. I really dont understand why it was almost the same price though. But, it sounds very good (although the distortion is a bit too much), but the clean sounds very nice. Have you even played one?
I have played one, and it didn't give me the tone I wanted. Then again I don't play anything thrashy like Metallica, so I guess my opinion on is will be different.
Yeah. It definately isn't the best distortion to play zeppelin on, unless you want to make hard rock zeppelin music. There is too much distortion in the amp, but it can be lowered to make it sound a little classic rock, but it's not the same.
Quote by DeadMansCurve
We got a Marshall AVT50 for $750

Oh well it's his money I guess.
^The only better he could have done was bought a valve amp. We went to 3 different shops and they didnt have great amps at all. The shop where he bought the stuff from only had heaps of line 6 amps, and the only good amps were the valve marshall and mesa heads.
I know what he's got ain't great, but it will get him through until he progresses a bit further.

Plus, for the people who say theyre not good > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s61iCM8GHHo
that guys using one and it sounds great.
Quote by Jeff Manthei
about 90 percent of your tone and sound is the amp. so spend the money on an amp. resave and get a Gibson V or X-plorer

I know the obviousness but it's actually 90% in your fingers...

anyway....

But don't you think an RG would suit this guy well?
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
^yeah, but he has his Jackson now and it it pretty much the same as an Ibanez but it has better sounding pickups in it. I was trying to talk him into buying an Epiphone LP Standard but he doesnt like the look of them, oh well.
Of all the Jacksons possible you definitely picked one of the worst. That guitar is made in India/Indonesia, shitass wood (Indian Cedro??WTF??) and a turd trem. Oh and I doubt the Jackson CVR pups are gonna be any good. If it was up to me I would've gone the vintage route and gotten an 80s/90s Jackson/Charvel for maybe the same price off of the Bay.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Page 1 of 2