Hmmm I think I know a fair amount of theory. I know the pentatonic scale all over the fretboard and how to use it with the major scale modes, I know the major scale modes, a bunch of other scales, harmonizing, triads, intervals, chord construction, a bunch of chords....

But I need more things to learn about! I have this urge to know more, but I don't know where to start!

Any suggestions?
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Arpeggios are pretty much the same as chords.

What do you mean by altered scale?

The altered scale is the last mode of the melodic minor scale. It's formula is 1 b2 #2 3 b5 #5 b7. It's played over an alt chord (alt chord = 1 3 b7 + at least one of b9 #9 b5 and #5) to create more tension. It can also be played over a normal dominant, or over 7b9 chords.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
The altered scale is something like Root, minor 2nd, minor 3rd, diminished 4th, diminished 5th, minor 6th, minor 7th.

If you consider an altered dominant: it's a dominant 7 that has at least one of the following: b9, #9, b5 or #5. (I've also heard people say the enharmonic equivalent of the #5, the b6: I'm not sure if one is more accurate than the other).

So if you look at this scale, you have the root, enharmonic equivalent of the major third, and the minor 7th. The other 4 notes could be considered to be the notes that would give an altered dominant its altered quality. It can be used over an altered dominant, or over a normal dominant to create tension. I don't personally use the scale just as a straight scale, I rather mix notes from the scale with the Mixolydian, but that's just what I do.

Sorry if that post was a bit confusing, just ask if it is

**** **** **** elven beat me
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by NovemberRain273
Hmmm I think I know a fair amount of theory. I know the pentatonic scale all over the fretboard and how to use it with the major scale modes, I know the major scale modes, a bunch of other scales, harmonizing, triads, intervals, chord construction, a bunch of chords....

But I need more things to learn about! I have this urge to know more, but I don't know where to start!

Any suggestions?
Well, if you have three or four lifetimes, you could get started studying composition...
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
How bout learning to play in another tuning?
Quote by elvenkindje
The altered scale is the last mode of the melodic minor scale. It's formula is 1 b2 #2 3 b5 #5 b7. It's played over an alt chord (alt chord = 1 3 b7 + at least one of b9 #9 b5 and #5) to create more tension. It can also be played over a normal dominant, or over 7b9 chords.

hmmm ok I just read the lesson on chord contruction last night so tell me if this is correct:

1 3 b7 b9

is

E||-------------------|
B||-------------------|
G||--5----------------|
D||--7----------------|
A||--6----------------|
E||--7----------------|

??

Is that right? if it is, well I dont really like the sound of it..,

You don't?

Let it resolve to Em and speak again?
---
---
-4-
-5-
-7-
-7-
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
^ Well isnt that 1 4 b6 8 ?

That one sounds and looks like just a regular Em triad with B as a bass note.

Didn't I just call it Em? But it's with a B in the bass, yes. Do you like the sound of this resolve or not? If so, try playing the B altered scale over the B7b9 chord and play E dorian or E melodic minor over Em and try to come up with something.
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Oh ok ok I get what you mean now. Ill try that out and tell you what I think.

EDIT:

Hmmmm well the chord progression does sound really cool now, but I dunno the altered scale doesnt sound right over it. Maybe im using the wrong scale. When you said it's the last mode of the melodic minor scale, I assumed it's the mode which has the root note of B, when playing in the key of C. When I play that over the B7b9 chord, it sounds good except for that A. It just doesnt sound right. When I replace the A with a G#, it sounds great! The only problem is, that is the Harmonic Minor scale.

Any idea what Im doing wrong? Or maybe Im doing it right but I just dont like it?

Last edited by NovemberRain273 at Jan 29, 2007,
I'd say that's not a very nice voicing, a bit too muddy, in my opinion. It'd be fine though, as long as your tone isn't too bass heavy. Strumming it by itself isn't going to sound awesome, but try arpeggiating it, even just a bit, then finishing on the I of the key. This chord is a dominant chord, which means it's best to function as the fifth. Listen to the tension and release when you go from the altered dom, to the tonic chord. Excellent
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Alright, well anyways, I was thinking instead of concentrating on one scale, is there something
more general?

Quote by NovemberRain273
Oh ok ok I get what you mean now. Ill try that out and tell you what I think.

EDIT:

Hmmmm well the chord progression does sound really cool now, but I dunno the altered scale doesnt sound right over it. Maybe im using the wrong scale. When you said it's the last mode of the melodic minor scale, I assumed it's the mode which has the root note of B, when playing in the key of C. When I play that over the B7b9 chord, it sounds good except for that A. It just doesnt sound right. When I replace the A with a G#, it sounds great! The only problem is, that is the Harmonic Minor scale.

Any idea what Im doing wrong? Or maybe Im doing it right but I just dont like it?

Ehrr, B Altered is B C Cx D# F Fx A.

Why shouldn't the A sound good over the chord? It's a chord tone while the G# is the 13. Ah well, personal taste..

In general: What are some things that you like or that you like to learn? Music styles?
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje