That tremolo's are overproduced in guitar companies? What i mean is that they produce more tremolo-equipped models of guitars than are necessary. From my experience, trems have a number of very good uses, but to me it would appear that its uses would only justify say a third of the guitars produced by a company having one. However, if you look at companies such as ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, Fender, etc, it seems that the majority of guitars come equipped with them. As a result, the hardtails in the series tend to be limited (especially with ibanez). It seems Gibson is one of the few who seem to stick to hardtails for the majority of their models.

Just thought this would be an interesting discussion .
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
It would be nice if companies like Ibanez did make more hardtail guitars. But they realise that alot of metal guitarists seem to want tremolo's (even though I seldom see them used well) and they clearly sell well.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Tremolo's are definately over produced, but it doesn't bother me much. my Strat copy has a tremolo (Like a Strat kind, obviously) and it doesn't bother me. But if it was a Floyrd Rose or something I'd be bothered. Tune-O-Matic + hardtail's ftw!
Quote by Kurapica
But they realise that alot of metal guitarists seem to want tremolo's (even though I seldom see them used well) and they clearly sell well.

I think when they are used tastefully, it's less noticable that it's even being used. There are a lot of subtle things you can do with a trem. I've found personally, after getting used to having one, even if I don't use it all the time, I end up reaching for it without thinking. Bending up/down to notes, vibrato on double stops, bends and chords, etc. Also IMO, even though a lot of companies make guitars with tremolos, it's a PITA finding "good" ones. A crappy trem can be a horrible experience, and bring down an otherwise great guitar.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Jeff Manthei
I dont like the tremlos that can only be pressed down instead of lifted up.

Yeah, vintage trems are great. If you use them subtly they can be magical sounding. I've been practising with my GRG170DX alot and was using subtle trem movements at band practise on my mates Strat. Can add alot to your sound.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yes, that does piss me off... But hey, I guess a big chunk of shiny metal sells more.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
To be honest, I've only noticed this trend with Ibanez. Other manufacturers always have a diverse selection of Hard-tails and tremelo-equiped models.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Tremolos are definatly overproduced, soon I think, they will put tremolos on les pauls. There, probably is such a guitar out there, it would however look a bit weird...
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Jan 29, 2007,
It's still usually pretty simple to obtain a hardtail version of a guitar

And tbqh blocking a trem isn't up there with complicated mods