Ok, turns out in less than 2 hours I will be the new ownder of this amp (well maybe)
Is this 900 the standard model? and supposably I was told it has a boost function?
What do you mean standard model?

The JCM 900 is the kind of amp it is. It came in the 90's after the JCM800.

I don't know if it has a boost or not but you don't wanta use a fake preamp boost anyway. You gotta crank it to make it sound good.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^I know all about it, but the number 4500? I only know it as dual Re-verb..

and when I say boost I mean for least solos etc..
It's the 50w Dual Reverb head. two channels (clean, and distortion). I wouldn't call any of the models in the JCM900 line "standard" but the dual reverbs are pretty common. It's a good amp
Quote by bonchie1
What do you mean standard model?

The JCM 900 is the kind of amp it is. It came in the 90's after the JCM800.

I don't know if it has a boost or not but you don't wanta use a fake preamp boost anyway. You gotta crank it to make it sound good.

I've been using the High Gain Dual Reverbs for years and to say the least, they're great all around versatile amps. You really dont have to crank them to 10 to get a good sound out of them, either. I leave my Rythym channel (A) on around 4.5 and the lead channl (B) on 5 or so and I get a great sound at a moderate volume (if you would call it that).
they are great amps, if you dont engage the preamp again and actually crank it, it means it wont engage the diodes that supposedly make it sound modern and crappy.

this will make it sound like an 800 a fair bit more.

the 4500 are the 50watt dual reverb models which means you can crank it a bit more (should have a 25watt stepdown switch as well, even better) and it has reverb on both channels.

you can have a boost function i suppose by setting channel A at a lower gain and volume and channel B at higher and switching between them, since they have the shared EQ, you can set them exactly the same sound and the other channel will act like a boost.

they are great amps imo, for a good sound i find you can use a dash of reverb with something like these settings

Presence 5-7
Bass 6
Mid (depending on what sound, i like to have the roar) so around 7
Treble (these are very trebly amps i find) 5-6
Volume 5+ (has to be)
Pre Gain 5