i've always wanted to play guitar but never really got around to buying one because i never had the money, now i have one and have been playin it for almost 2 weeks. yeah, i suck but i just wanna know if i'm on the right track. i dont plan on taking lessons because the last thing i need is another scheduled class to go to. i just have been talkin to my buddy who has been playin 6 years and just learning as much as possible and just trying to play random songs. basically trying to play whatever i can, and if i'm half way decent at it then i'll practice it til i'm good at it. just wanna know if theres a wrong way to learning or something
Nah theres no right or wrong way of learning. Just take it at your own pace, the more effort you put into guitar, you more you get back out. Since youve just started, play some fun easy stuff such as smoke on the water, godfather theme, nirvana songs and also try house of the rising sun. You will suck for a bit but so did everyone when first starting out.
Nah, man. You're doin the best method to learn guitar - hard work. Keep it up and love what you do. You'll be fine Lessons are not necessary to become a skilled guitarist, heart and dedication are the only requirements.

Peace and happy playing.
alright good, i can play some smoke on the water, the intro to a couple songs like sleep now in the fire and come as you are. i'm workin on the star spangled banner too my buddy told me to learn some chords and practice switching from one to the next but everytime i go to practice i get pissed off because my fingers suck. haha i have an anger problem.

I was actually hesitant to join this site because i was browsing through the forums and all i saw was people bitchin about certain music and arguing over gay shit... out of the forums i frequent this is by far the worst as far as people whining and crying, i guess because theres a lot of ignorant 15 year olds that need to get laid or somethin
Quote by panasyncp17
alright good, i can play some smoke on the water, the intro to a couple songs like sleep now in the fire and come as you are. i'm workin on the star spangled banner too my buddy told me to learn some chords and practice switching from one to the next but everytime i go to practice i get pissed off because my fingers suck. haha i have an anger problem.

I was actually hesitant to join this site because i was browsing through the forums and all i saw was people bitchin about certain music and arguing over gay shit... out of the forums i frequent this is by far the worst as far as people whining and crying, i guess because theres a lot of ignorant 15 year olds that need to get laid or somethin

Don't complain about it, just ignore it.

And trust me, when it comes to switching your chords, just keep on practicin'. It'll really pay off later on. When I first started out I could hardly switch from E to Em, but once you get your fingers beat into submission, going from barre chords, to open chords to power chords will be a breeze.
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Epiphone G310 SG
Fender Stratocaster HSS

Amps
Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack

Pedals
Digitech RP80
Boss DS-1
Boss CH-1
check out the lessons section, the guitar & bass basics forum and the other instrument/musician forums for helpful advice, and steer clear of the pit if you want to avoid the majority of the whining/immaturity.
from daylight...
...into darkness