1. I'm dumb, and I'll test things until they break, so I want to know this: Will the tremolo bar break the strings? Or does it only go to a certain point before it stops?

2. Is the HSS Strat better than the standard? I figure more pickups = more better, but is there something I'm not seeing here?

thanks
I will pick you up and throw you!
1. the tremolo only goes down, and only goes up if you make it float, and using a trem to bend down wouldnt really break the strings.

2. i think the HSS is more versatile, but i prefer SSS. its all down to personal preference.

- Faisal
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
1) Using the tremolo alot will put the guitar out of tune but it'll only break strings if there's a rough edge somewhere on the saddle.

2) I too prefer SSS, I think there's something inherently wrong with Fenders with humbuckers.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
1-It sounds like you're talking about a Strat. You can't bend the strings up on a Strat trem anyways, only loosen them. So now, it's not gonna happen. (Well, it could I suppose, but probably won't.)

2-A HSS doesn't have more pickups, both have 3. What kind of music do you play? Do you need the humbucker?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
1-It sounds like you're talking about a Strat. You can't bend the strings up on a Strat trem anyways, only loosen them. So now, it's not gonna happen. (Well, it could I suppose, but probably won't.)

2-A HSS doesn't have more pickups, both have 3. What kind of music do you play? Do you need the humbucker?

I play everything. Jimi Hendrix to Esteban to CCR to Johnny Cash. I don't know anything about the humbucker pickup. Seeing them, I think, "hey that double row must pickup better." I really don't know anything about it.

If you could tell me what the difference is, that would be great.
1. In my experience, no, I've never broken a string using the tremolo on a strat. Keep in mind though that eventually you can cause a string to break at that point since it is a stress point for the string and causes a slight kink in the string where it crosses over the saddle. Bend any piece of wire enough in the same spot and it will eventually break.

2. The HSS sounds different from the SSS. The reason being is that the humbucker, or "double row" pickup, has both coils wired together to eliminate hum from electronics and such. This pickup has greater resistance, and sounds a bit more bassy than a single coil in the same position.

As far as the tremolo going out of tune, I really have to promote Carl Verheyren's video. His 6 point vintage strat setup tips really do work. Ever since setting my tremolo to float a couple of weeks ago, it has remained in near perfect tune, even with whammy abuse. I might loose a cent or two on a single string over the course of a day, but for the most part, when I check it with my tuner, it's as close to in tune as it can be.
more better......i laughed my ass off...
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
1) I once made it a floating bridge (on a strat copy) with aciton like..2 cm high.
I had the range of a FR. I did break strings. Then the bar itself broke.

2) generally yes, unless you like single coil at bridge.
How does the retarded strat fit in? between the squier and the standard?
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by shooky
more better......i laughed my ass off...

haha

I was wondering about breaking strings because I thought the bar was meant to tighten them, so thanks for clearing that up.

I'm leaning more toward the HSS than the SSS.

Quote by Kurapica
I too prefer SSS, I think there's something inherently wrong with Fenders with humbuckers.

? Like what?