I started to play the bass guitar, I would say, about 3 years ago. I picked up my friend's Squier Standard P-Bass with the original pickups replaced by dimarzio (i think they were) split p pickups...

The bass is great, but I think I'm ready to take it to the next level.

Now, I don't know if this is weird or not, but I never read a book, took a lesson, read a website, etc. regarding what I play... basically my guitarist showed me the chords he plays and I started playing the root note, then I figured out how to fool around and improvise off of the chords to make the bass lines more interesting.

I just recently decided to look at tabs (first time in 3 years...) which can be helpful at times.

ANyway, I'm ready to step it up.

I have small hands (not tiny, but not big) and it puts some stress when playing faster bass lines (we play punk, so that's usually the case)...is the fretboard on a Jazz bass smaller than a P bass?

basically I just need a strong clean sound to compliment my guitarists overdriven distorted sound...

I don't want to break the bank, and was considering getting a squier (ehh) jazz bass, but maybe I should step it up and get a standard jazz bass? any help?

Sorry if I rambled.

B.Rocka
The jazzbass neck is much smaller then the neck on a P-bass so maybe a deluxe P-Bass? IT is a P-bass with jazzbass neck
always go for the more expensive thing, i don't know about the neck, i think the jazz bases have slighlty longer necks but i might be wrong. go for the fender instead of squier, its better to invest slightly more and have a longer lasting and better quality instrument rather then end up spending the money for a fender in a few years when you decide to update the squier instead of getting a decent amp or something
i say MIM Jazz. people love the p-bass special on UG. but i find the jazz better. the neck jazz pickup is so awesome.. look at JPJs tone and see
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The MIM Jazz is your best bet, out of those three.

Check out the Ibanez SR line too, they have extremely thin necks and sound/play great.

EDIT: Some examples (not sure about your price range)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR500-Soundgear-4String-Bass?sku=515055

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR400QM-Electric-Bass-?sku=511825

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-EDB400-Electric-4String-Bass?sku=517958
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Jan 29, 2007,
^ Made in Mexico, yes.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

If you already have used the Precision, switching to the Jazz (which is, in my opinion, far better) might be tricky.
The Jazz has a smaller neck and LONGER frets!
So with a small hand might be hazardous.
I'd go for a Fender MIM too. Same quality, if you really looks at them.
I don't understand all this fussing about the Made in Usa things.
The project and engineering are US in any way. SO who cares if that particular bass was made by a Mexican in Mexico or probably by an other Mexican ( have you ever been down there in California? There's more hispanic people than elsewhere else in America) in Corona, CA?
Buy a Fender, that's a guarantee. I have owned Fenders for more than 30 years, never had a complain.
Good luck, mate!
^ Longer frets? Huh? If you mean scale length, it's the same (34").

Jazz necks are generally better for people with small hands...

...and there is definitely a step up in quality between MIM and MIA Fenders, in most cases. It's still not worth the huge price difference, but hey.

As for the Mexico thing, it's not an issue of what nationality the person making the damn bass is, it's a matter of quality control, training standards, and experience.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Yeah, ok, I agree with you on the quality issue.
Of course there must be some difference, at least to justify the difference in pricing.
But you know how market laws are: if everybody wants something, that something goes higher in price, no matter if it's better quality or not. You may argue that everybody wants MIA because they are definitively better than MIM, but I see it more like a name, brand and tradition issue.
I once played a MIM at a gig and believe me, if I didn't have bothered to read the smallprint under the logo, it would have tricked me into believing it was a MIA.
You will agree that the difference in price is much wider than the difference in quality.
And I don't think that Fender would risk its reputation endorsing with the Fender logo some low quality product. ( so why the Squier brand? probably it's now used only for the MIJ made in Japan basses)
But eventually what it's important is geting a bass, stick with it and play it. If our skills will need a better instrument, it will come out later so it's not a big deal to get a MIM or a MIA when in the early stages of bass playing.
About the fret length: you might be right. I wrote that remark because I compared my Jazz with a P-Bass I found in the rehearsal room belonging to a bassist of another group we share the room with. Yesterday night I went back there to rehearse and realized that that bass it's not a Fender, but a P-bass copy of unknown origin (probably some low cost Chinese Brand). It looked in every detail like a P-Bass and I didn' bother to check the logo since it's faded being the instrument quite battered and worn. Probably they adapted the fretboard to some small chinese hand!
Since the fretboard is definitively shorter than my JB's one.
Thanks for your reply. I really enjoy this forum!
i'd take a MiJ over an MiA any day of the week.

but yeah, i would go with a standard jazz if i were you.