Page 1 of 3
Last night, I played a gig. Some friends of mine were playing and they had me join in with them for their last 3 songs. I'd played with these guys a couple of times before, and had always used my Agile or LTD on stage. I decided to debut my Gibson, since it gives me more of a rock tone that suits their style instead of all my EMG-equipped guitars. And plus, it looks cool all chromed and mirrored up. I figured it would be a badass stage guitar.

Well, I've never had so many issues with a guitar all appear in the span of 3 songs. I tend to be REALLY hard on guitars on stage . I throw my guitar around a lot and do all kinds of funky shìt. This tends to end up with dents, chips, dings, etc.. (#1 reason I never play my ESP Explorer live). And I consider last night's show rather "tame" since we were on a small stage with a low ceiling, so I couldn't do my usually guitar-flining stunts.

To date, I've never had a problem with my current stable of guitars. I can ride them hard and put them away wet and they still perform like a dream time and time again, often not even needing a tuning between uses... I don't go on stage to play music. I go on stage to perform, and it's been the way I've done it for the past 20 years.

I don't know what it is about my Gibson. In the span of 3 songs, I had all the pots and toggle switch bolts loosen considerably. This was amazing since I never used the controls during my time on stage, and I actually made sure everything was tight when I installed my new locking tuners and strings about a week ago. And I had my low E string jump out of its saddle notch completely, and it actually wore a new notch in the saddle where the string ended up...

I've never had anything like this happen before in my 20 years of playing. I've played 1.5 hour sets with other guitars, thrown them around, spun them, flung them in the air (and luckily always caught them), etc, and they've always held up. Other than the ruined saddle, there wasn't anythign that technically went 'wrong' with the guitar. But I'm just surprised that so many things happened in such a short period of time.

And also, I did a quick check on the guitar this morning (looking for any cosmetic damage I might have added last night) and I notice that the neck is somewhat bowed and needs adjustment. It had a full setup including the truss rod adjustment a week earlier. This is just screwed...

So it would seem that this guitar isn't very stage-worthy at the moment. I do believe last night will be it's stage finale as well as its debut. I love the way it plays and the way it sounds, but it maiden stage use left me a little disappointed. Methinks I will be relegating it to strict studio duty from this day forward - somewhere it has never let me down. Seems like I'll be sticking with my Agile and LTD for future stage use...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Yeah. I need to give it another full setup. It jsut blows me away that the guitar would essentially 'fally apart' like it did. Now I need to get a new saddle. I'll probably be able to file in a new notch so I can continue using it until I get a replacement.

It just surprised me that the guitar 'fell apart' like that. I've never had anything like that happen before, even through bumping the guitars, dropping them, etc... And like I said, it was a small stage, so I tried to be careful - mostly not to hit the other guys on the stage.. lol

But hey, shìt happens, I guess. I guess I'll stick with what works and probably stick to using my Agile as my main live guitar. It seems to hold up to anything I can possibly throw at it in terms of abuse.

Quote by MiG_853
Your sig says LP Studio, I think that says it all...

lol That LP Studio is one of the best Les Pauls I've ever played, actually. It's easily one of the best sounding Les Pauls I've played in the last 10 years or so. But I think it will be staying for studio use from now on..
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by MiG_853

Your sig mentions the kind of picks you use.

I think that says a lot more.
Quote by MiG_853

That's a really stupid remark.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
maybe you played a super sonic note that caused the guitar to vibrate itself apart.
maybe because its a STUDIO it should stay in the STUDIO
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by Pleiadian
That's a really stupid remark.

I just let the riders of the bandwagon of ignorance believe what they want... This is right up there with the myth that EMGs sound the same in any guitar...

with the nitro finish I never felt comfortable playing out with a LP Studio I used to have. I didnt want to ding it up since it said Gibson on it and the finish was so damn easy to ding. But I loved the way it sounded.
That blows, I would have thought a Gibby LP hardtail would be near bulletproof on stage. Was it a long trip there where it was getting banged around in the back of a van or something? I know you take care of that axe, and know what you're doing, so that's surprising.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
This is what I read "I abuse my guitars, I throw them around on stage and they get heavely beaten when I play live. I complain because they are made of wood which CANNOT (WTF?) take that kind of extreme beating, and therefore they get dents and fall apart."

I think you need to relax more on stage.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by danzig-_-
maybe you played a super sonic note that caused the guitar to vibrate itself apart.
maybe because its a STUDIO it should stay in the STUDIO

The only reason it's called a "Studio" is because it doesn't have alot of the fancy binding and such which looks so attractive on stage. Asides from the looks, there's not much difference from other Gibson Les Pauls.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Dude are you sure you haven’t like cracked the neck any ware? I'm not saying this to be mean or anything or because I’m ignorant but I've never liked the LP studios anyway, I also think its kind of sad coz it sounds to me like your guitar is now screwed, you could have done damage to the truss rod maybe.

It may even have a small fracture that you can't see yet, my old copy strat had that and that litterly broke in two.

Hope you get it fixed and have it checked out good luck let us kno whats happend.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Only a Gibson is good enough...yep.

Hah.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
Well, I buy my guitars to be players. My only guitar I don't want beaten up is my ESP, since it's a one-of-a-kind custom. Otherwise, what happens happens in the course of a live set.

However, the point is that I have a $369 guitar (Agile) and an LTD EX-351 (I got it used for $120). By comparison, these are 'cheap' guitars. I've given them live beatings far worse than what my Gibson was subjected to last night, and they've never failed me in the slightest. I've never expected the Gibson to be 'worse' then those guitars.

And yes, the finish on the Studio isn't as resilient as on the Standards. I would never expect the finish to be able to endure a beating. But then again, I don't worry much about the cosmetics of my player guitars. They're working instruments, and I'm not going to be too concerned about dents, scratched, chips, etc. To me, that adds character to the instrument. I make sure my guitars are in top PLAYING condition, with top of the line locking tuenrs, bridges, pickups, nuts, perfect strings, etc. The setups are always perfect, and I always have relatively new strings. But when it comes to taking care of them cosmetically, I'm not so anal about it.

Quote by Cloudkill
Dude are you sure you haven’t like cracked the neck any ware? I'm not saying this to be mean or anything or because I’m ignorant but I've never liked the LP studios anyway, I also think its kind of sad coz it sounds to me like your guitar is now screwed, you could have done damage to the truss rod maybe.

It may even have a small fracture that you can't see yet, my old copy strat had that and that litterly broke in two.

Hope you get it fixed and have it checked out good luck let us kno whats happend.

I gave it a close inspection this morning, and there's no new visible wear and tear anywhere on it. And the neck isn't severely bowed. But I did a setup on it 1 week ago, and it was perfect. Now the action is higher, and fretting the 1st and 17th frets on the low E, I can tell there's too much of a gap between the top of the 7-9th frets and the bottom of the string. I'll give that a setup again tonight and it will be right as rain. I used it for band practice on Friday night, and again for 3 hours before the show on Sunday. No issues. It's only when I got on stage that the problems started.

But hey, the one great thing is now that I installed some Gotoh locking tuners, this guitar now stays IN TUNe. Man those Gibson Kluson tuners are really shìtty. Since I got this guitar last winter, I was constantly tuning it up. Now with the new Gotohs Magnums, it hold perfect tuning.

Could you post a few pictures of the guitar? I'd like to see the battle scars.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
The Gibson has no scars. Other than a few normal surface scratched and a couple of small dings that were on it when I got it (it was used), it's in excellent condition.

Quote by Crunchmeister
The Gibson has no scars. Other than a few normal surface scratched and a couple of small dings that were on it when I got it (it was used), it's in excellent condition.

I was talking more about the bowed neck, the busted nut, the loose electronics, etc.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
The neck is not severely bowed. It's a touch higher than it had been before. And it's pretty hard to take pics of loose switches and pots. And it's not the nut that broke. The low E string slipped out of its notch in the saddle at the bridge. This caused it to wear a new groove slot into the saddle. That I can take a pic of. I'll try to take one and post it.

I would like to see the guitar anyway haha, always interested in other peoples guitars
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Danno13
Your sig mentions the kind of picks you use.

I think that says a lot more.

I'm sorry but that is pure pwnage.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
that's a bummer....I have an epi and gibson 335 that have both seen a fair bit of stage time and the epiphone was nothing but trouble but the gibson has never let me down.

the only strat's I have that might fail are the one's i've done a rushed and cruddy wiring job on.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Satch_Boogie
I NEED to get my hands on an Agile.

My agile is a tank, it has no problem being thrown down the stairs and coming out unscathed
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Kurapica
I would like to see the guitar anyway haha, always interested in other peoples guitars

This is it...

And I should add that my Agile is a tank too. It's been bumped, knocked, dropped, and treated like shit for its times on stage. Its finish is like rock. Not the slightest dent or scratch other than some light surfae scratching and a very small amount of belt buckle rash on the back. And I'm pretty sure I could even buff out all the buckle rash except one tiny scratch about 3 mm long.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jan 29, 2007,
Not sure about the flames, but asides, that's a sexy ass guitar man. Bet it looks amazing when the stage lights hit it ^_^
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

The flames are a hit and miss thing with people. Either they love it or hate it. The rest though, most people like. Can't wait to see the video footage of the show to see how it looks on stage.

Quote by Crunchmeister
The neck is not severely bowed. It's a touch higher than it had been before. And it's pretty hard to take pics of loose switches and pots. And it's not the nut that broke. The low E string slipped out of its notch in the saddle at the bridge. This caused it to wear a new groove slot into the saddle. That I can take a pic of. I'll try to take one and post it.

Don't worry about it - From the image you were describing, I thought the damage would be more noticable.

Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Crunchmeister
The flames are a hit and miss thing with people. Either they love it or hate it. The rest though, most people like. Can't wait to see the video footage of the show to see how it looks on stage.

Yeah, I bet you were all lit up like a disco ball
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
The only reason it's called a "Studio" is because it doesn't have alot of the fancy binding and such which looks so attractive on stage. Asides from the looks, there's not much difference from other Gibson Les Pauls.

haha i know that, it was a joke. he was saying "i think ill use it for studio use from now on" and i was just basically encouraging him to do that.
im not stupid, especially when it comes to LPs!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by Bazilisck311
Don't worry about it - From the image you were describing, I thought the damage would be more noticable.

Nothing major happened to it. It's just that so many little things went wrong in the span of 3 songs. How if the fück did all my pots and toggle switch get loose when I just tightened them less than a week ago? The guitar saw 2 rather tame band practices since its last total service. And the neck adjustment is one that is rather baffling too. The guitar didn't move from any extreme cold or heat in that time either (I know that can affect the neck).

But it's how easily the string carved itself a new slot in the saddle over the span of ONE SONG that totally amazed me...

Seriously, the only problems I've ever had with guitars on stage were electronic, and they were always due to rushed pickup installations or electronic repairs. I've never even broken a string on stage.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jan 29, 2007,
that sounds like a freak thing, you admit to being "abusive" to your guitars, were you any more abusive to this one over your others? if i read correctly, you said you were very careful, which makes it sound even werder.

and to add to erock, was the trip to the gig a long one, or did something happen backstage?

but yea, i would get it all back to normal and try another gig to see if it was a freak thing, or its just that bad.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
hey i know this has nothin to do with the damage done to your gibson or this thread but could you post a pic of you custom ESP explorer? thx
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.

Gear:
Les Paul
Marshall MG15CD
Dunlop Crybaby
Page 1 of 3