hey guys

i'm currently in the process of building my own guitar (25.5" scale length) and im slowly reaching the finishing stages... ish...

I have noticed that on many (if not all) guitars, the bridge seems to be at a slight angle and not perfectly straight. (i'm talking about a LP style tune-o-matic bridge here btw). I don't understand this will I have to drill holes for my bridge at an angle to the strings? If so, what angle will it have to be? Does anyone have any measurements?

my other problem lies with routing pickup cavities. I am going to put 2 bareknuckle humbuckers into it and i understand that pickups are placed at certain points beneath the strings? where are these points? again, does anyone have any measurements?

thanks guys
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

The bridge is at an angle to make compensation easier. It's only a very slight angle. I'm not sure what it is, though.

The pickup positioning is sometimes measured using natural harmonics, however, the pickups will work no matter where you put them. I suggest taking measurements off another 25.5 inch scale guitar if you wanna be exact.
ok cool, thanks a lot man
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Quote by Led Pepplin

Usually a TOM bridge gets angled 2-3 degrees.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
Usually a TOM bridge gets angled 2-3 degrees.

Chris

How do you go about getting the 2-3 degress accurate?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
With a protractor really. Just mark out where the scale length is on the body, use a protractor with it set at 2-3 degrees and mark it.

You can eyeball it really though. Just remember, the thinner strings will be much closer to the actual scale length measurement than the thicker ones. The thicker strings always seem to be intonated farther from the scale length measurement.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jan 29, 2007,
so would i measure to the scale length down the centre of the bridge and tilt it 2 - 3 degrees or would i measure to 25.5" on one side of the bridge and bring the other side of the bridge up a couple degrees?

Quote by Led Pepplin

Try to get the high (skinny) E right on line with the scale length mark, and tilt the bass side of the bridge back.

Chris
The only real way to do it right about now is to use a shim, or a small piece of wood.

Cut this wood at with the top side at an angle, using a protractor, about 1.5-3 degrees, stick it in to the routed neck pocket. Place the neck over.
On my lap steel, I put my 'bucker at a a distance of 5 frets (one of the natural harmonics) from the bridge.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by jesusofthearbys
The only real way to do it right about now is to use a shim, or a small piece of wood.

Cut this wood at with the top side at an angle, using a protractor, about 1.5-3 degrees, stick it in to the routed neck pocket. Place the neck over.

You're talking about putting an angle in the neck pocket. He's talking about physically putting an angle on the bridge for intonation.

Chris
Quote by jesusofthearbys
Hm, sorry then, just angling the neck pocket seems a whole lot easier than that, but do whatever you feel like.

I don't think you understand what the threadstarter is talking about. We're not discussing the action/angle of the neck, we're talking about the angle of a TOM bridge.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead