Page 1 of 2
I heard a thread of this sort suggested once or twice and maybe can be stickied. But, this thread is for people who want challenging songs, i see we have a beginners bass thread so why not have a challenging/ hard bass songs thread?

If you can suggest the song, the artist and what is difficult/ what it involves- e.g fast finger picking, etc.

Cheers, bullet
signature
I really enjoy anything from Victor wooten, sure to impress if you can pull it off
La Villa Stangiato - Rush
Day of the Baphomets - The Mars Volta
Can't Stop - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I personally enjoy playing Anesthesia-Pulling Teeth because its not particularly difficult once you learn how the fingerings go and its fun to play. just make sure you have OD and wah kinda helps too, but isnt as neccessary as OD. i think its hard because of the fingerings, i guess.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
Quote by Greg Harper
Oh and West Ham Utd are tons better than Bolton bloody Wanderers lol oj u kicked our ass

haha well i hope you don't get relegated because i don't mind Curbishley but i hated Pardew. And generally, we do kick your ass
signature
a lot of stone temple pilots songs have challenging bass lines. plush, trippin on a hole in a paper heart, interstate love song.
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
I can play Can't Stop and it's simple, in comparison to a lot of Chili's songs. (Still a good choice to play though)

Blackeyed Blonde, anyone?
Lets see..

Heart Of The Sunrise - Yes (More people should listen to them, really, check them out)
Portrait Of Tracy - Jaco Pastorius, I've heard its challenging but never checked it myself.

Cant think of anything else right now..
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech

Song Title: Space Cowboy
Band - Jamiroquai
Bassist - Mr X
Difficulty - Advanced
Techniques used: Finger style
Things to look out for - Fast runs towards the end, consistent "pocket" playing (mad groove)

Tab - H E R E

Youtube - H E R E

This song will challenge you all, for it's groove, it's playability, the funk feeling, the fast runs, the slow break.

Enjoy!

A
Quote by Applehead

Band - Jamiroquai
Bassist - Mr X
Difficulty - Advanced
Things to look out for - Fast runs towards the end, consistent "pocket" playing (mad groove)

Tab - H E R E

Youtube - H E R E

A

I think thats a really good suggestion applehead, and it has a great groove. A song that i would love to learn in the near future. Cheers man
EDIT: And i hope you love the Urge II when it comes
signature
Quote by Applehead

Band - Jamiroquai
Bassist - Mr X
Difficulty - Advanced

That's the one thing i'm determined to be able to learn this year
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'm also thinking about learning Love Foolosophy by Jamiroquai too, a very funky song indeed, but not as hard as Space cowboy IMO
signature
I can play love foolosophy fine, and i can space space cowboy, but i always make a few mistakes in space cowboy. once i have ironed out these mistakes i will post up my version of both.

check out The Kids too, thats a cool line..
Tommy the Cat...just because no one said it yet.

Also, Ytse Jam by Dream Theater is fun, but fairly tough.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater
Sound Chaser - Yes
Digital Man - Rush
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Dani-Califorina by Chillis
Tech:Pick or Finger(harder with fingers i find)
Skill:Intermediate
Things to look for: Watch out for the constant variations that Flea uses thoughout this song, i find it easier not to play the exact line for each bar, to play something similar to, chorus is pretty speedy if your not good with playing the same string for a few rapid notes with you fingers

TAB: Go buy the Stadium Arcdium Bass Tab Book

Youtube: search it, should be easy to find

(i used appleheads layout)
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Quote by AshDoro
Dani-Califorina by Chillis
Tech:Pick or Finger(harder with fingers i find)
Things to look for: Watch out for the constant variations that Flea uses thoughout this song, i find it easier not to play the exact line for each bar, to play something similar to, chorus is pretty speedy if your not good with playing the same string for a few rapid notes with you fingers

TAB: Go buy the Stadium Arcdium Bass Tab Book

Youtube: search it, should be easy to find

(i used appleheads layout)

I just learnt that song , well i've not done the bit during the solo. It's really fun to play too.
signature
the only part i have struggled with(and not yet learnt) is the bridge, the rest i know
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

I don't think anyone has posted this yet but POT, that's what I'm working on at the moment and it's almost impossible to get it perfect
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Bass Cat
I personally enjoy playing Anesthesia-Pulling Teeth because its not particularly difficult once you learn how the fingerings go and its fun to play. just make sure you have OD and wah kinda helps too, but isnt as neccessary as OD. i think its hard because of the fingerings, i guess.

ya that is a fun tune to play...but i cant seem to get that little riff inbetween the riffs where u like..float and play a note on each string done..and then bak up again...im bad at explaining things.
its like...within the first minute and 1/2 i think..?
Super mario bros.
Its easy just makes me feel childishly happy
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Quote by indie-bassist
I don't think anyone has posted this yet but POT, that's what I'm working on at the moment and it's almost impossible to get it perfect

To that I would also add...(which is my current graduation piece for this semester)

Continuum by Jaco Pastorius

Difficulty -- Intermediate to Advanced.

Techniques used-- finger style

What to watch for-- the second half is considerably more difficult than the first. The aim is to play it up to speed but maintain a certain flow and fluidity. Can be played on a fretted bass but it is recommended for a fretless.
Quote by Applehead

Band - Jamiroquai
Bassist - Mr X
Difficulty - Advanced

Tab - H E R E

Youtube - H E R E

This song will challenge you all, for it's groove, it's playability, the funk feeling, the fast runs, the slow break.

Enjoy!

A

Wow, that sure as hell is a sweet bass line.
I'll be starting on learning it tomorrow, thanks for posting the suggestion.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Dink, take your time with it. really nail the fast runs and stuff. i made the error of learning a couple of things wrong fingering-wise, and had to relearn them, much to my chagrin. The tab is basically perfect (nuff repespect), so you should have no problem, you just have to listen to the song a lot. if you dont have the original version let me know and i will mail it to you.

good luck
A
Quote by Applehead
Dink, take your time with it. really nail the fast runs and stuff. i made the error of learning a couple of things wrong fingering-wise, and had to relearn them, much to my chagrin. The tab is basically perfect (nuff repespect), so you should have no problem, you just have to listen to the song a lot. if you dont have the original version let me know and i will mail it to you.

good luck
A

Cheers for the advice. It's something I now really want to learn, so I will be spending time on it. Plus a lot of watching the video and listening to the song. The tab's in a wee bit of a confusing format for me (not used to these bigger tabs) but it'll be good.

Cheers again dude.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Pleasure. Make sure you read the bit at the top of the tab - dnt skip it. and just take it in sections. just do the first verse until you've nailed that and then move on. he rarely plays the same thiing twice in this song. truly amazing piece of bass work.

oh., and there is a few bits in that video that he plays that are not exact, so dont use that as a guide and think the tab is wrong. the tab is right!
Laquer Head by primus
Tech:slap , mutes, hammer ons etc..
Things to look for: The bass solo halfway through is quite fast and needs lots of practice to get up to that speed
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I like the entrance of Peace Sells by Megadeth, it was a little challenge for me when I first looked at it. Now I play the entrance as a warm up and slowly make it faster to help build my fretting agility before I jump into any other song.

I wouldn't call the entrance to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica hard, but I think its fun and nice for getting used to distance moving around in the high frets.

Now for the ones I think arehard and pose a nice challenge.

I think Working Man and the solo of Freewill(Both by Rush) pose a good challenge for the intermediate bassist.

Working man is centered around mostly the 7th fret, during the verses the bass is climbing and descending up and down the A and D strings.

Freewill has a nice triplet solo. Geddy outdoes himself every time.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I heard a thread of this sort suggested once or twice and maybe can be stickied. But, this thread is for people who want challenging songs, i see we have a beginners bass thread so why not have a challenging/ hard bass songs thread?

If you can suggest the song, the artist and what is difficult/ what it involves- e.g fast finger picking, etc.

Cheers, bullet

To me a hard song is Give Hate a Chance by Jamiroquai. but I found a Tab and Video to this music in BassCamera.com website http://www.basscamera.com/video.asp?video=6 .

Bye
There have been some good ones mentioned!

Heres my lil list:

Tommy the Cat, American Life, Southbound Pachyderm, Groundhogs Day, Sgt Baker, The Awakening- Les Claypool (Primus, Solo, Les Claypool and the Holy Mackarel, Sausage, Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade, Oysterhead, Les Claypool and his Fancy Band, Colonel Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains)
Space Cowboy- Jamiroquai
Anesthesia- Pulling Teeth, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Call of Ktulu, Orion- Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Portait of Tracy, Continuum, The Chicken, Teen Town- Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report, Solo)
Moonlight Sonata, Quahogs Anyone?, Linus and Lucy, Country Music- Stu Hmm
Aeroplane, Get on Top, Nobody Weird like me, Soul to Squeeze, Coffe Shop, Subway to Venus, Salute to Kareem, Walkabout- Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

thats all i can really remember off the top of my head!
MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

www.myspace.com/thedeathbynumbers
we should make a rule you cannot post without a suggestion or something.....

(not to be a hypocrite, just think it would filter it out and give it a better chance of being stickied an actually helpful instead of a few suggestions then a lot of ocnversation.....no offence)

For Whom The Bell Tolls
Metallica
finger picking

Maxwell Murder (not a super hard song, but difficult enough to deserve to be on this list)
Rancid
Pick Or Fingers

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Fingers.

Bring Back The Bomb (possibly hard enough)
GWAR
I don't Know.....fingers i think

The Trooper
Iron Maiden
Fingers

My Name Is Mud is a nice intermediate song
Primus
Slap and pop

Battery
Metallica
I'm Not Sure

that's my input for today
Quo Vadis - "Silence Calls the Storm"

It's a bassline by Steve DiGiorgio, so you already know it's gotta be good. Fast, relentless melodic runs during the verse, and lots of fills.

The only really difficult part is the verse riff, but you need to have fast fingers and endurance.

Learn some Dillinger Escape Plan bass parts too; they're not terribly technical, but the timing changes will keep you busy.
Kuru, Jaco Paastorius, is a brilliant song to learn. He plays at an insane speed for a good six minutes. the finger pattern is fairly basic, but the speed is insane. start at 90bpm on your metronome and work upwards daily. i think Anarkee is faster than me at the moment, but i'll catch her up!
Fans of technical death metal should try Only Ash Remains by Necrophagist. It's a very fast, very complicated piece requiring prefection of two hand tapping. I've been working on it for 4 months now and I can just about pull it off full speed but it's still very sloppy.
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join
Quote by Applehead
Kuru, Jaco Paastorius, is a brilliant song to learn. He plays at an insane speed for a good six minutes. the finger pattern is fairly basic, but the speed is insane. start at 90bpm on your metronome and work upwards daily. i think Anarkee is faster than me at the moment, but i'll catch her up!

Another Jaco one I would recommend that is not difficult (maybe intermediate?) is Come on, Come over. Very funky beginning, its one of my noodle at the bass tunes. Like Kuru though, it does require a bit of stamina to play up to speed and play consistently without mistakes, particularly the second half.
Page 1 of 2