okay, I've loved the SG design since I was 11 or 12, when I wanted to get my first guitar. before I knew Tommy Iommi made them famous for the metal community, and Pete Townshend, etc....

I was looking at the specs for the Epi SG G-400 vs the Gibson SG standard. obviously, there's a higher level of quality in place for the Gibby. but spec-wise they aren't very different. same woods, set necks, same design. electronics are an incredibly cheap upgrade, and a professional set-up doesn't cost much unless there's a major problem with your neck or body.

so why not save $1000, buy the Epi G-400 and have a pro set-up, new pups of your choice and even throw in some schaler locking tuners all for half the price? it still has the Epi name on it. but does it matter if it sounds as good if not better than the Gibson when you're done?

let me hear your thoughts on this. I want to know if brand name is THAT important, or if you feel that Gibson really does something worth paying the extra cash for. or, do you agree with me?

sound off!
Alot of the time, you'd be better off doing just what you detailed. People do like to look down their guitar and see the word "Gibson" though, it's got something magical about it.

I say, if you like a certain Epi, then just do it up.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Alot of the time, you'd be better off doing just what you detailed. People do like to look down their guitar and see the word "Gibson" though, it's got something magical about it.

I say, if you like a certain Epi, then just do it up.

I agree, I am about to upgrade my Epi LP soon as well.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
What you said is exactly what I did with my Les Paul. I bought an Epiphone one and replaced all the electronics and put new tuners on it. It sounds just as good as any gibson i've played and it ended up costing me under $600 in the end.
Signatures are overrated.
I whole heartedly agree on the Gibson name. it's been around so long, and so many influential players have had them in thier hands in memorial performances.

but, and this is a big but, isn't the magic of that name ultimately just playing up the age old concept "if you want to be like [insert guitar god] you have to buy me!"?

I like the SG. but I see no point for paying for the SG standard, or even the Faded SG with less cosmetic features. if I physically play the one I'm going to own, I'll be able to tell if there are any obvious problems with the neck and such.
I know this is kinda off topic but is it worth buying an epi les paul custom and replacing all hardware with black hardware, if i want one with black hardware. Or is it not worth the hassle just for en Epi.

AND do les paul have sturdier necks than Sgs.(they're kinda flimsy)
Quote by seanie!
What you said is exactly what I did with my Les Paul. I bought an Epiphone one and replaced all the electronics and put new tuners on it. It sounds just as good as any gibson i've played and it ended up costing me under $600 in the end.

BINGO!

see, you built it to YOUR specs at a fraction of the cost. now it sounds the way you want it to. of course, you can do that with any Gibby. but for that price, I expect to have the tone I want without upgrade.
Well, the process that Gibson uses to print the "Gibson" logo on the headstock runs them about a thousand bucks. That's why they cost more.

Get one of the Custom Shop Epi's.
when im not held back by the money, im doing a similar thing to my SG(just got to decide on pickups) but the Grover's that you get with the G-400 are great
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Quote by fire within
when im not held back by the money, im doing a similar thing to my SG(just got to decide on pickups) but the Grover's that you get with the G-400 are great

Yeah the Sg400 is awesome with a pickup change. Its just too top heavy when standing up.
Quote by Pacifica112J
Well, the process that Gibson uses to print the "Gibson" logo on the headstock runs them about a thousand bucks. That's why they cost more.

or get an elitist
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Quote by Pacifica112J

My ass. it doesnt cost gibson a grand. it just costs you a grand more for it to be done. where the hell did you hear that?
Quote by fire within
or get an elitist

Yeah, but;

I'm pretty sure they don't make Elitist SG's. Or do they?

And Elitists are pretty expensive.
yh thats wot i did with my epi LP as well just changed all the electronics and now it sounds exactly how i want it to sound so i wud say get the epi and just upgrade it, as it will sound how u want it to sound and will save u alot of money, however i still wonna get a gibson Lp just because its a Gibson so your choice your choice.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.

Gear:
Les Paul
Marshall MG15CD
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Pacifica112J
Yeah, but;

I'm pretty sure they don't make Elitist SG's. Or do they?

And Elitists are pretty expensive.

just looked and it seems they got rid of the Epi '61 SG elitist, although you can still find a few

also it would still be cheaper than a gibbo SG standard
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Quote by guitarist41
Yeah the Sg400 is awesome with a pickup change. Its just too top heavy when standing up.

God, tell me about it, really put me off them.

Quote by dustinp
My ass. it doesnt cost gibson a grand. it just costs you a grand more for it to be done. where the hell did you hear that?

*cough*hewasbeingsarcastic*cough*
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by fire within
just looked and it seems they got rid of the Epi '61 SG elitist, although you can still find a few

also it would still be cheaper than a gibbo SG standard

Yeah, that's too bad.

Most, if not all Elitists are better than Gibsons.
JUst do it up. I'd much rather spend money on modding a Epiphone than spending much more for a Gibson, when the mods could pretty much match up to the Gibson standard and sounds.
Quote by mardigian
I want to know if brand name is THAT important, or if you feel that Gibson really does something worth paying the extra cash for.

Brand name is not important. You can get a pro-quality guitar no matter what brand it is, just Gibsons start out at a high standard with good setups and harware. But it really doesn't matter when you can get an Epi to the same standard for a fraction of the price.

Who cares about the brand name? Idiots, that's who :P People who mentally shut off to the idea that a cheap guitar can be good, and will still hate a perfectly good guitar after playing it just because it's cheap.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i was in the same situation as you last year and i went with the standard and im very happy i did. although they are similar the gibson is much better quality. simple things like the nut and the knobs are just a lot better on the gibson. although you may save some money on the epi, youll definetly enjoy the gibson more
Quote by RHCP93
i was in the same situation as you last year and i went with the standard and im very happy i did. although they are similar the gibson is much better quality. simple things like the nut and the knobs are just a lot better on the gibson. although you may save some money on the epi, youll definetly enjoy the gibson more

I'm sure you're right. but I couldn't think of a more easily replacable part as a knob. and any luthier or quality repair shop can work on, or replace a nut without too much time invested.

I'm not really debating one or the other. I'm definetely going with the Epi. I may go with the Gibson faded SG if I came across a great deal, but then it wouldn't look as nice, without binding and block inlays.
Quote by Pacifica112J
I guarantee the Epi is a better guitar than the Faded SG.

Maybe it's just personal preference but i liked the faded more than the g-400. The sound and feel was better on the gibson. Like i said, probably personal preference.
Gibsons have much better build quality. the main difference is that an epi guitar will last like ten years if you play it alot before it needs major work done on it. the Gibson will last 60.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm