I want to learn slide guitar, any tips?
Quote by ~AdNy
and for whoever took a dump in an acoustic, your a ****in asshole. they probably had to trash that thing.

Quote by Quantonyne
wow...i love the internet. and i thought putting small furry animals up your ass was weird.
Listen to lots of slide music, obviously. Look up Derek Trucks too. Not much more than that. It is a rather different discipline than normal guitar playing, but can be rewarding nonetheless.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
thanks
Quote by ~AdNy
and for whoever took a dump in an acoustic, your a ****in asshole. they probably had to trash that thing.

Quote by Quantonyne
wow...i love the internet. and i thought putting small furry animals up your ass was weird.
Tune to open G, it will make it easier, and is common among slide playing.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Steps To Slide Guitar:

go to the record store and grab "at the fillmore east" by the allman brothers band

listen intently to duane allmans playing

jam

worship

imitate

Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

yep open G is commonly used (DGDGBD), also open D (DADF#AD).

tip for technique - difficult explain in words - trail your fingers on the fretting hand 'behind' the slide to mute the strings, that way you get to kill the unwanted scraping noise of the slide on the strings that you are not playing. hope that makes some sort of sense.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
also open E is used alot

and remember you can play slide even when theres no fretboard so you can get real high notes over the pickups and such

maybe try some old delta blues too

like son house or robert johnson
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

What you need to do is get either a glass slide (for electric guitar) or metal slide (for acoustic) althought it really doesn't matter what you use for what guitar.

Most people try to play slide the first time with a pick... but this is extremely a bad idea IMO. In standard tuning if you don't properly mute the strings you dont want to sound (when you play with a pick) you will get a mass of overtones that sounds rubbish (in most cases). So i recommend you try to play using fingerpicking and right hand muting. You may find yourself saying "I'm no good at this... this isnt natural to me..." well then try fingerpicking and alot of your problems will go away. Slide guitar is hard if your used to playing guitar the regular way.

Most IMO people don't really respect the idea of slide and rush it... what you should really do is choose an open tuning. Why? because in open tunings notes are easy to fine using a slide and chords are easy. Standard tuning is good for excelling our slide guitar to somewhere else once you have gotten' open tunings.
What are some really good slide songs that have tabs on this website?...the only 1 i can really play is Running On Faith by Clapton
lol there was an article all about duane allman on guitar world's february 07 issue.
it was interesting i read through all.

GW interviewed dicky betts about allman
very, very interesting.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard