i'm a serious musician and there is a serious band that i have been jamming and auditioning with, they are experienced musicians and i would love to join their band....the only problem is the lead guitarist. he always rags on me about the way i make power chords, i make them like this:

say u have powerchord like this .

--3-- now the way i play it is a place my pointer on
--3-- the fifth fret and use my pinky to bar the 3's
--5-- as this is the most comfortable for me

the way the lead guitarist says to do it is to put ur pointer on the fifth fret but use ur ring finger for the 3rd fret a string and ur pinky for the 3rd fret d string.

what should i do or say to him, i've always been told to play the way that is most comfortable to me, i've been playing the way i do for more than 3 years, i can't just change...should i just say i don't want to be in the band??
i play drums and guitar :
Can you play them? Does it sound ok?

If the answer is yes, then he's just being anal. As long as it sounds ok that should be all thats important. Don't try switching just for this band, do it if you want to,
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
How do you put your pointer on the 5 and your pinky on the 3? Thats backwards...unless you are lefty.

Upon closer examination of what I said...I realized that even lefty, that still would not work. You either do it completely wrong, or mistyped.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Jan 29, 2007,
Sometimes the comfortable way restricts you, for example, I find it comfortable to put more or less all of my thumb-finger behind the fret board whilst shredding, although if I were to put the tip of my thumb behind the fretboard, I could reach further on the fretboard, although I find it very uncomfortable.

It's the same in your situation, although I can't quite possibly see the advantage of playing a chord his way. To me, if you're comfortable with it, I see indifference.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

thats a weird power chord, unless you meant

?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Hehe and I thought I was alone I play power chords with my pinky rather then my ring finger aswell. I know you're supposed to use your ring finger but I find my pinky to be more comfortable. I can use my ring finger if I need to but I prefer my pinky

As someone said earlier as long as it doesnt compromise your sound then it shouldn't matter how you play it, as long as you get the job done.

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
Quote by Dylan-19
Hehe and I thought I was alone I play power chords with my pinky rather then my ring finger aswell. I know you're supposed to use your ring finger but I find my pinky to be more comfortable. I can use my ring finger if I need to but I prefer my pinky

As someone said earlier as long as it doesnt compromise your sound then it shouldn't matter how you play it, as long as you get the job done.

You're not alone. I do that too.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I always use my pinky but it's messed up and bends like anything. Say I was barring a d on the 5th (x57775) I'll use the finger next to my thumb to bar the 5s and just my pinky for the three 7s (my pinky can bend and not touch the high e string if you get what I'm saying). I find it easier this way and it sounds exactly the same. So as said if it sounds good and you feel more comfortable don't change just for the sake of one idiot.
dam my bad, i put the chord upside down.....i was distracted it should be

--5--
--5--
--3--
Damn, we got it... he did the shape backwards. If you didn't know what he meant, you're ****ing stupid.

Anyway, I actually did mine the same way (I usually do the full barre shape now, though). If I'm not mistaken, James Hetfield does it, too. It sounded the same and was always easier for me. It got my pinky stronger, I know people who don't ever use their pinky because it's so weak. Thanks to that finger placement, I've never had to deal with that problem.
Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
You're not alone. I do that too.

idk if this is right but i think kirk hammett does it too
I myself have gotten shit for the way I play octave diads. I used to use my index and ring finger for them, even for the ones between the first and third string which are stretched out wider.
If you meant it with the 3s and 5s reversed, like I'm sure you did, I can understand why he would rag on you about it. But that doesn't mean he should.

It would, however, be in your best interest as a serious musician to learn to either
A) Do it how the lead guitarist does it
B) Use your ring finger to bar them instead of your pinky.

If you do that, then it'll make it easier for you to make a chord like this:

|-6--
|-5--
|-3--
Well assuming the chord is an A or D (example and explanation don't jive), it doesn't matter how you accomplish the chord, as long as you tecnique doesn't affect speedy and clean changes. who showed Jose Feliciano how to play?
my teacher said that if you do
5 powerchords with your pinky you can change faster to

3 these powerchords

so i do the 2 note ones with my pinky and the 3 note ones with ring and pinky

but i sometimes use my ring instead of my pinky in the 2 note ones because it sometimes feels better, it really depends on the song
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Last edited by myself101 at Jan 29, 2007,
for a full dmajor barre-chord i use my index finger to bar across the fifthe fret, then i use my middle finger for the d-string, ring finger for the g-string, and pinky for the b-string....

i'm told that's kinda weird, but it's comfortable
Quote by kurosawa
I dropped out of school ages 13!

That quote made my life...
I play both ways. When im playing a fast song with many powerchord progressions, i'll do it the way you do it, but if i'm doing a slower song, i'll play with my ring finger on the A and my pinky on the D, so it sounds smoother.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
its not that i can't do it the other way, my way is more comfortable. i can use my ring finger fine, i just feel more comfortable using my pinky because my hands are smaller. and more complex chords aren't a problem because i can use my ring finger and my pinky finger equally, like i said, its just a matter of comfort for me
Tell him to shut up as long as it sounds ok
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by mcole07
for a full dmajor barre-chord i use my index finger to bar across the fifthe fret, then i use my middle finger for the d-string, ring finger for the g-string, and pinky for the b-string....

i'm told that's kinda weird, but it's comfortable

Doesnt matter as long as it works, and it does, i've seen people play it like that.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

If what you're doing works, and sounds the chord out nicely, then he's just being an arse, just keep your technique going.
signature
i'm the bassist in my band, and my lead guitarist does it the same way, whereas i use my ring finger when i play the guitar. i don't particularly care, he's better than me
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
learn to do it the proper way like he says to. You may be able to play fine with whatever little "serious" band you have now, but if you actually continue to grow as a musician uising your pinky in that chord is going to restrict you immensely. Take some time to learn the classics and you'll understand.
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Quote by Revan
learn to do it the proper way like he says to. You may be able to play fine with whatever little "serious" band you have now, but if you actually continue to grow as a musician uising your pinky in that chord is going to restrict you immensely. Take some time to learn the classics and you'll understand.

apparently u missed where i said i can use all my fingers equally. don't belittle me
D--5-- i hold down the 3 with my pointer finger and bar the 5s with my ring finger
A--5-- but do whatever is most comfortable for you as long as it works and tell the lead
E--3-- guitarist to stop whining
he's right. you get more control if you do it with 3 fingers instead of 2 fingers with a lith barre.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

if you watch petrucci play power chords, he really does the same thing.

I believe he uses his other two, free fingers (middle and ring fingers) to mute the unplayed strings.

Either way, if you can articulate the chord, and its sounds the way it REALLY should, tell him to go to hell
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
i play power chords like this:

------3------------------- pinkey finger
------3------------------- ring finger
------1------------------- index finger

this may be stupid, but it it helps me build pinkey strength.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK