Hi everyone. Im currently in the process of building myself a guitar from scratch. I started with a squier body, then i added pickups etc. and now im about to change the current neck that is on it for a reliced fender one, but I have a few questions about this...

When I take the old nexk off and put the new one on, will the tuning be affected in any way if I put it on wrong

Also what factors could affect the tuning of the guitar and the tuning of notes played at different frets, such as if the neck was longer than my current one or shorter, or if it was wider etc.

If anyone could help me with this, I'd be so greatful, cheers
currently playing a Stratocaster
Amp - small 15watt thing, getting 150 watt soon

My top 5 guitarists

1. David Gilmour
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. Jimmy Paige
5. John Frusciante
first off...a new neck will warp off the start because of the tention that the strings put on it, u'll have to let the neck slowly adjust before you can make any assumptions, if u find u get neck buzz or the neck is not true all the way up, raise or lower the bridge to compensate, if that doesnt work put a shim under the neck next to the body, when i built my first guitar the action was to high so i had to put in a shim under the neck to change the angle from the bridge, thus lowering the strings, it will go out of tune real easily at first, but like i said after the neck settles this should go away
so, should I just put the neck in with the strings as normal, and check it out for things like fret buzz, high action and stuff?

when you say a shim, do you mean putting something inside the pocket the neck sits in to change the angle?

and when you say it isn't true all the way up, do you mean each fret isn't the note it should be? Also, how exactly do I fix this.

Thanks, don't want to ruin this one lol.

My top 5 guitarists

1. David Gilmour
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. Jimmy Paige
5. John Frusciante
dude building from scratch means you start with blocks of wood, not a squier body, and fender neck. It's still a build, but more like a mod
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
ok well i cant build from pieces of wood, but im building one from parts i've bought and aquired.

My top 5 guitarists

1. David Gilmour
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. Jimmy Paige
5. John Frusciante