Hey

There's gotta be someone on UG who can do this, cmon, restore my faith in the Pit Goers, please.

I need the following formula reagganged so it's in the form 'u=...'

(1/u)+(1/v)=(1/f)

EDIT: I realise I typed 'rearranging' incorrectly, sorry
I guess this has to do with focal lengths. Can't you just work out 1/U and then find the inverse of it?
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Yes it doesn, of all the things we could do physics coursework on we end up doing it on feckin' lenses. I'm not sure how to go about working out inverses so I'm kinda knackered there
u=f-v ???
Just a guess
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
1/u + 1/v=1/f
1/u=1/f - 1/v
1/((1/f) - (1/v))= u

I think. I never actually bother, I just sub all the numbers in. Rearranging is long and unnecessary.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Inverse of 1/u is 1/1/u lol. Can you use a calculator?
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
if you want to try it daft's way

1/u = 1/f-1/v. work out 1/f-1/v to give you your answer, which I'll call "y".

1/u = y

then just divide 1 by y. to get u.

(EDIT: this assumes you have values for f and v)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by daft
Inverse of 1/u is 1/1/u lol. Can you use a calculator?

How did I not see that? Thanks.

Thanks to everyone else who responded too.
Quote by chubbychunks
^ He has it. I was gonna say multiply everything buy 'ufv', but it's simple.

u=f-v ???

Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
he actually doesn't have it.
Last edited by vantage4 at Jan 29, 2007,
Quote by chubbychunks
^ He has it. I was gonna say multiply everything buy 'ufv', but it's simple.

No he doesn't. That's wrong.

It's 1/((1/f - 1/v)) = u

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
No he doesn't. That's wrong.

It's 1/((1/f - 1/v)) = u

i don't believe you're right either.
garg.

burningcowsrule: what values for u, f and v do you already have? cos that'd help. a heck of a lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^He wants to rearrange the equation, not solve it.

Quote by vantage4
i don't believe you're right either.

I am right.

1/u + 1/v = 1/f
1/f - 1/v = 1/u
u(1/f - 1/v)= 1
u = 1/(1/f - 1/v)

Oscar Wilde
neater way:

1/u + 1/v = 1/f
1/u = 1/f - 1/v
1/u = (f-v)/(fv)
u= (fv)/(f-v).

And note: 1/u = 1/f - 1/v does not imply u = f - v, for example if u=v=4 and f=2, we have:
1/4 = 1/2 - 1/4, which is true, but 4 =/= 2 - 4.

Also, multiplying everything by ufv at the start would work nicely.
i actually figured this out earlier today as chance would have it;
{"."="multiply"}

(u.v.f/u)+(u.v.f/v)=(u.v.f/f)
v.f+u.f=u.v
i think
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by porcupineoris
neater way:

1/u + 1/v = 1/f
1/u = 1/f - 1/v
1/u = (f-v)/(fv)
u= (fv)/(f-v).

And note: 1/u = 1/f - 1/v does not imply u = f - v, for example if u=v=4 and f=2, we have:
1/4 = 1/2 - 1/4, which is true, but 4 =/= 2 - 4.

Also, multiplying everything by ufv at the start would work nicely.

DING!

This guy is right, u = fv/(v-f)
Quote by Meths
^He wants to rearrange the equation, not solve it.

ok, cool.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?