my friend wants to get a new amp. he has a randall g2 or rg75 i dunno what its called. he wants a tube halfstack. his limit is about 1.5k on the head and around 600 for cab. what do u guys think?? marybal a marshall 1960A cab, but what head? he wants a tone kind of what the new CC album soudns liek (so cranked gain triple rectifiers) and skinless has.
I'm just pointing out that there's already a wealth of knowledge on this subject, much of which comes from people that won't be arsed to type it all out again...
I live in Canada and I play that exact type of music, skinless, amon amart, insomnium and stuff, I just picked up a Peavey JSX from Steve's Music in downtown Toronto, and I got an amazing deal. I also got the Marshall 1960 cabinet, which was a perfect match for it, it just doesnt get too muddy with even the chuggiest riffs, and cuts through really well when playing with a band. Thats my two cents.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Nolly
umm use the search function? This kinda question comes up about twice a day...

I guess that came out more arseholeish than it sounded in my head...
ENGL Powerball + Engl/ mesa cab. The powerballs distortion is immense!
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
You can snag a used Mesa Recto for that price, id take that over an ENGL but then again the two amps sounds completely different.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Honestly, rectos don't have the gain that people make them to have. Every time I mess with them I put a boost in front. Its probably just me though, I cant seem to jive with their looser tone.

Id take a MARK IV over a recto anyday. Yeah, I know they can be pretty saggy aswell but damn! I just cant get enough. Hurry up tax returns.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
The 6505 might be a little under his price range, but he could get that and then a BBE sonic maximizer for some more punch. As for a cabinet a marshall 1960 or mesa rectifier cabinet is the standard.
That loser shit's right out the window!
alrigth thanmks for all teh responses. i ahve a dual rec as well, so how would the 6505 or peavey jsx match up with mine? will it compliment it nicle, i mean-will the whoel mix sound good withotu one amp overtakign another?
I think they would work well together. I got my JSX and 1960V cab for 2000$, so thats just under your budget. Try out the JSX and see how you like it, the gain easily matches any of the amps mentionned in this thread, and it is incredibly versitile, the cleans are sparkly, and the crunch can give you a good lead for lower gain stuff.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
On a recording forum which I lurk on I find that Dual Rec + 5150 tracks seem like they where meant to be together. F'n perfect.

Apart, I prefer a 5150.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
most definitly!! thast my dream rig excpet for the head cuz i already got ym dream head. thast awsome how you have that. and thanks for allt eh help too man, appreciate it