Study shows religious people being dumber than atheists and agnostics

A recent danish study shows that religious people have an average IQ of 5.8 points lower than that of non-believing people. This suits me fine as i'm an agnostic myself, and despise all types of organized religious practise except for buddhism. According to the study, religious people, being dumber, had an easier time of blindly accepting things they can't really prove, while more intellegent people tend to be more sceptical of nonsical notions like that.

What do you think?

Edit: Oh sorry, i forgot to mention. I came across this study when it was published in a danish newspaper, and couldn't find anything in any english newspapers. The article stated that this study was also backed by previous american studies showing the same results.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Last edited by Guitar-freak at Jan 29, 2007,
Quote by Guitar-freak
What do you think?

That the rest of the world has known this for about 60 years.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I'm agnostic too, but I think you just made that up.

80% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Quote by Meths

Some links so threadstarter doesn't get flamed for not providing sources.

Your the only one who ever asks for them anyway
Quote by Tedbedell
I'm agnostic too, but I think you just made that up.

80% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

+1
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
Quote by chocolatguitar
it's called ignorance, my good fellow.

now i'll be ignorant and call BS on that article until you show me a link.

Looks like I was wrong meths
I think guitar-freak is a shallow twat and he should leave UG immediately.

He gives us non-believers a bad reputation.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by fronkpies
Your the only one who ever asks for them anyway

Pft, look at what everyone's saying. No-one's believing him and they're all asking for links/sources.

EDIT^^: Haha, see?

READ THE LINKS I POSTED. IT IS TRUE

Although the threadstarter put it in a spectacularly blunt and untactful way.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
"80% of all statistics are made up on the spot."

^..heh, like that one?

i dont really care, there will alawys be dumb people and not so dumb people, statistics are used for studies and stuff, not for judgement. Being religious doesnt make you dumber than the average agnostic. I think, if anything, that religious people have more hope, and faith in people and more spiritual ideas. Thats not a basis to say they are gullable and dumb.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
I can see this thread turning into a huge flame-fest so I'll quickly get a point in and run.

I can see the logic, and it makes sense to me. I'm actually too tired to be bothered to get into this soon-to-be arguement, so I'll leave it there.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Well that makes perfect sense, actually

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
If you don't find me any information on this so called 'study' I'm going to give you a warning for this thread. You have ten minutes.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
If you don't find me any information on this so called 'study' I'm going to give you a warning for this thread. You have ten minutes.

Dude, I posted some.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
You spelled intelligent wrong. By the way, I'm a christian and I have in IQ of about 130. I kind of see what that survey was saying, but its bull. Although I am religious, I question everything. Religion just gives people hope, everyone needs hope, and theres nothing wrong with that. Not every religious person is a fanatic that blindly follows. Most people just like the idea that there is a better place after life. Why not believe in it if it makes you feel more at peace, besides, it doesn't hurt anyone. I'd say check your resources and the sample size, that survey isn't accurate.
Oh sorry, i forgot to mention. I came across this study when it was published in a danish newspaper, and couldn't find anything in any english newspapers. The article stated that this study was also backed by previous american studies showing the same results.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I bet the IQ test they made them take all had questions on evolution. I also bet that the people who conducted the study were agnostic or whatever bullcrap you call it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by 696
WOOT AETHEIST PRIDE! cauz religon is gAY

You and your homophobia sadden me.

That's Denmark for ya.

And does Buddhism count? It's not really a religion...
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
FOR FUCKS SAKE METHS, WRITING IN CAPITALS CAN BE VERY ANNOYING. COULD YOU PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SUCH THINGS IN THE FUTURE?
The attempt to use psychometric measures of intelligence, such as the IQ test may be criticized. Some scientists object to the idea that intelligence is a single, measurable characteristic; others object to the use of specific tests. As such, any studies about intelligence tend to be controversial.

Studies focusing on correlations between religiosity and other socioeconomic factors, such as higher education or interest in science, are not reliable to predict a relationship between religion and intelligence, even if it is assumed that these factors are typically associated with intelligence. Correlation is not transitive: that is, even if A is correlated with B, and B is correlated with C, you cannot draw the conclusion that A is correlated with C. It requires a separate set of data to establish that correlation.[citation needed]

Some of the studies primarily deal with unmarried high-school and university students, and other studies show people become more religious after marriage and have children [8]. A recent Gallup International survey indicates this is international [9]. It showed that levels of atheism decline after age 30 while self-description as "a religious person" rises.

Studies of religiousness and intelligence have been predominantly performed in the U.S., which is not necessarily representative of other populations. The USA has, for example, a higher level of religiosity than other developed nations.

Makes sense to me. Thanks meths for the wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence#Criticism
EDIT^: At least one person did. Even if those criticisms are not able to disprove the trends.

READ MY POSTS AND LINKS YOU DIPSHITS

Quote by _Mayday_
FOR FUCKS SAKE METHS, WRITING IN CAPITALS CAN BE VERY ANNOYING. COULD YOU PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SUCH THINGS IN THE FUTURE?

Only if people start reading my damn posts. I've posted two links and explained this and people are ignoring me and babbling on.

Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Jan 29, 2007,
Quote by Rankles

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2007/01/28/490228.html

Norwegian newspaper link. Its all in norwegian im afraid. Best i could do... Sorry.

So if you want me to delete the thread i'll do it.

And here's the guy who submitted the research. Maybe if someone cares enough and they search his name they'll find out more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_Nyborg
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
Quote by i bleed metal
You spelled intelligent wrong. By the way, I'm a christian and I have in IQ of about 130. I kind of see what that survey was saying, but its bull. Although I am religious, I question everything. Religion just gives people hope, everyone needs hope, and theres nothing wrong with that. Not every religious person is a fanatic that blindly follows. Most people just like the idea that there is a better place after life. Why not believe in it if it makes you feel more at peace, besides, it doesn't hurt anyone. I'd say check your resources and the sample size, that survey isn't accurate.

Dude, i have an IQ of 135, so according to your logic, i've just proven the thesis of the danish study to be right.

The study never said every religious person in the world is stupid. I was saying on average, religious people are stupider than non-religious people. And if you failed to notice that in my original post, i find it hard to believe that you have an IQ of 130.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥