I didn't quite know under which section to put this, so I decided to post it here.

I usually play and write soft rock and my influences are The Feeling, Fleetwood Mac, McFly and the beetles. This is the music I want to play.

Oooh and I also play in my church band.

But there is a pub down my road that has a punk night. I was wondering, should my band play there? Its not the type of music I listen to at all. Would it be easy to convert to punk in order to gain the experience?

Would love your thoughts.
Quote by charvel_man
So UG appears to be riddled with warlocks.

*Prepares pitchfork*
Last edited by Tremelo at Jan 29, 2007,
check out blindedblack
myspace.com/blindedblack
purevolume.com/blindedblack

theyve got good stuff.. and they are leaking out their cd on purevolume

_____
well, if you can cover helter skelter by the beatles then yes. That lead the way for punk.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
My thoughts are that you should stop listening to McFly if you ever want your balls to drop. And it depends on whether your lead singer can sing punk. If he can't, you might as well stick to what you know.
Peepee on yo tittays
what type of punk? old skool punk like the ramones/sex pistols or more blink182/green day stuff?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Punk is not necessarily that hard to play. The only hard part of the transition would be learning to WANT to play it. I personally would stick to the music you love, because if your just playing to appeal to an audiance, it kinda ruins the point.
Nikolas
It would be pretty easy. Punk and folksy music have more in common than you would think. Just sub power chords for the major and minor chords you use now, and use higher-energy drum beats and you'll be set.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by myself101
what type of punk? old skool punk like the ramones/sex pistols or more blink182/green day stuff?

rofl
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^green day and blink aren't punk so that kind of defeats the purpose of the question

unless it's a kind of seedy pub, then from what i know about booking bands it'll probably be pop-rock

but in case it is real punk, check out a band called buzzcocks.
yes, just buzzcocks, not THE buzzcocks

the first time i heard songs like 'i don't mind' 'oh shit' 'ever fallen in love' and 'harmony in my head' i thought they were something like a mix of the beatles and the sex pistols
+ orgasm addict ****ing kicks arse

check out the ramones, they're very pop. but i'd go with buzzcocks

by the way, subbing power chords for major and minor chords won't do any good. most punk uses bar chords, + minor pentatonic. a lot of bands also have a bit of a surf rock influence (dead kennedys, agent orange, radio birdman, etc)
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
****'em over i had the situation happen to me, i told this coffehouse(caters to the indie/alt crowd) that we were an experimental indie band and were actually a punk/metal band, we showed up and trashed the place. it was ok with them though cause the owner is like "sweet iron maiden" hhahah

so the moral of the story is, its ok to lie to people jsut to get your music out there.
of course im actually in an indie band now and they'll still let me play, its just they take fragile stuff down now
Mcfly? in a punk bar? what do you think?
if you can't be a good example
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas
lol, so i got a boner this one time and i was watching tv, so i decided to hump the little crack between the two cushions of the couch. yeah.

www.free-game-downloads.mosw.com
Quote by misty_b
My thoughts are that you should stop listening to McFly if you ever want your balls to drop. And it depends on whether your lead singer can sing punk. If he can't, you might as well stick to what you know.

How can someone not be able to sing punk?
Quote by Gummy Balls
Mcfly? in a punk bar? what do you think?

When did I say that was what i was gonna play there?!
Quote by charvel_man

*Prepares pitchfork*
fair enough
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas
lol, so i got a boner this one time and i was watching tv, so i decided to hump the little crack between the two cushions of the couch. yeah.

Listen to The Clash or Buzzcocks, they're both fairly poppy while still retaining punk credibility.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Honestly, only do it if that's what you wanna play. If your doing it for the sake of playing gigs and getting money, I would have very little respect for you.
brnh.bandcamp.com
More distortion and aggression and it should be fine.

Oh and play loud
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas

Quote by I_Pwn
Honestly, only do it if that's what you wanna play. If your doing it for the sake of playing gigs and getting money, I would have very little respect for you.

I dont want the money or the recognition, all i want is gig playing experience.

There are few places to play what I usually play.
Quote by charvel_man

*Prepares pitchfork*
Quote by Tremelo
I dont want the money or the recognition, all i want is gig playing experience.

There are few places to play what I usually play.

Alright, I recommend checking out some punk, and if you like it then definately play it. If you don't like it so much, keep what you are doing and play at the other places. IMO, you should just stay true to yourself.
brnh.bandcamp.com