hmm well i want to write songs but i seems to find chrods that fit well together =/ areany rules /suggestions? i hate power chards so i hope thoses arn't important...
Dude, it depends on what type of music your playing. If your playing almost any type of rock or metal or something like that, your gunna need to learn to play power chords for the most part.

This should go in the songwriting forum, not the pit.
Nikolas
If they're in the same key and the same time signature at the same tempo, they should fit just fine.
learn power chords? theres nothing to that crap, learn how to switch between barr and open chordes, even though you dont need to to that much... but still. Yeah its hard writing music that sounds good and there really are no trickes or rules. just screw around and eventually you'll get something. thats all i ever do, lol.
DAVE MUSTAINE FOR SUPREME RULER OF THE WORLD
plus what that dude said below me said works great too, im just a moron listen to him
DAVE MUSTAINE FOR SUPREME RULER OF THE WORLD
Just play what sounds good. It's music there are no rules because it's art
if you can't be a good example
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas
lol, so i got a boner this one time and i was watching tv, so i decided to hump the little crack between the two cushions of the couch. yeah.

www.free-game-downloads.mosw.com
I cant believe some of the shit you guys are cuming out with ...

Yes learn to use power chords and even better barre chords. you may be shit at it, but practise makes perfect right.

Yes there are "rules" its called music theory, try learn up on it as much as you can, it is boring as ****, but the sooner you start the faster you will progress, and if you are serious about playing guitar rather than just thinking you can play just because u can chase numbers up and down a tab, then learn music theory. This will help you right your own music. Also try to tune your ear into tone and notes, try not to use a guitar tuner to tune your guitar andLEARN THE NOTES ON YOUR FRET BOARD
they must be in the same key.

try C, F, G7, Am, E7, Dm.

those are all in the key of C i think.

I Agree with the guy above...of course there are rules!
Learn music theory.

You could also use the same chords from a song you know and just change the order/strumming pattern... yes its not the right way but tbh lots of people do it
If you start thinking like snowblind and splinter your songs will be boring. Think outside the square, as long as it sounds good it'll be cool
if you can't be a good example
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas
lol, so i got a boner this one time and i was watching tv, so i decided to hump the little crack between the two cushions of the couch. yeah.

www.free-game-downloads.mosw.com
oh, i thought this thread was about finding things that can fit in....nevermind
Holy crap, my UG account still exists?
Quote by Gummy Balls
If you start thinking like snowblind and splinter your songs will be boring. Think outside the square, as long as it sounds good it'll be cool
No, not true at all.

Music theory doesn't restrain your artistic expression; it helps you to delve deeper into ideas you wouldn't have otherwise thought of.

Here's how you do things without music theory:

"Uh, so, I guess I'll just keep playing stuff until it sounds good."

And with music theory:

"All right, so I just played a decent riff, now I can find ways to make it more interesting by maybe changing some of the intervals. And once I figure out what key it's in, I can use some chords that'll compliment it perfectly. Plus I can use these in-key notes to make a bridge riff, with maybe some non-harmonic tones to spice it up."

Basically, music theory allows you to have a better grasp of what you're doing - it gives you artistic control, rather than artistic "rambling" around.
Can someone link me up to some theory for these keys?
What I do right now is, I have this fret pattern going, like theres certain chords that sound good together, but they have to be on certain frets. I wanna know theory so I know what chords to play when jamming to a song of a certain key, and also, just so people don't call me a n00b.

Lol, all the theory I know is that the notes go: A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#
pentatonic scale, locrian scale, 1 position of the phrygian scale, and about 8 chords besides powerchords and barre chords... =\
Last edited by doomnight at Jan 29, 2007,
Quote by doomnight
Can someone link me up to some theory for these keys?
What I do right now is, I have this fret pattern going, like theres certain chords that sound good together, but they have to be on certain frets. I wanna know theory so I know what chords to play when jamming to a song of a certain key, and also, just so people don't call me a n00b.

+1
Quote by Twist of fate
The title sounded sexy

Yeah, I came in here looking for other things :/
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Just hit musictheory.net and read as much as you can there.