I'm not sure if not knowing this makes me a dumbass. Lately my playings been leaning more toward metally stuff, so I just want to know what kinds of scales I need for (newer) metal soloing. Right now I know 2 blues scales, E pentatonic minor and G pentatonic minor. I want suggestions as to what kind, but if there are any specific scales that would be really helpful that would be cool to know too. Thanks.
lydian lol....

nah try messing around with the phrygian & locrian scales in different positions

EDIT: E & G pentatonic minor are the same scale 3 frets higher.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Last edited by rustic_metal at Jan 29, 2007,
depends what kind of metal but you should learn major pentatonic -Harmonic minor- Hexatonic-natural minor- and diminished and i almost forgot phrygian
^ i recommend natural major/minor and the 7 positions (locrian, lydian, phrigian etc etc) is a good start, also lots of great metal solos have chromatic movements in them. also blues scales are used a lot in metal (ie I, bIII, IV, bV, V, VII)
Erm i think messing around with modes would be a little diffiicult if he only knows 1 pentatonic box shape nd 2 blues. Try learning all 5 of the minor pentatonic scale boxes and make sure you can string them together, theres plenty of lessons on the site for that. Then the blues box shapes, not much of a jump from the minor pentatonic. Then probably the minor scale or harmonic minor. The major scale isn't really nesssary for metal but is useful to know how to form it and how other scales are derived from it etc.
Quote by Peanut1614
Erm i think messing around with modes would be a little diffiicult if he only knows 1 pentatonic box shape nd 2 blues. Try learning all 5 of the minor pentatonic scale boxes and make sure you can string them together, theres plenty of lessons on the site for that. Then the blues box shapes, not much of a jump from the minor pentatonic. Then probably the minor scale or harmonic minor. The major scale isn't really nesssary for metal but is useful to know how to form it and how other scales are derived from it etc.

meh. i learnt the other shapes of the pentatonic minor and the modes at the same time. its slower at the start, but once u get them down ur set.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
i actually just shred any notes i can and then use pentatonic scales for harmonized and melodic solo parts, as well as a lot of high E bends
Learn to shred using the Pentatonics and natural minor/major scale... then just go at your own pace.. learning too many unessecary scales at the beginning can be real confusing.. buy some good books! Gaints of metal.. Gaints of blues.. great books!
People ask what scales you need, but what makes music so diverse is using different things. Do you want to sound like another clone...ie harmonic minor, pentatonics, or do you want to bring something new to the fold a la Marty Friedman?