I'm not sure if not knowing this makes me a dumbass. Lately my playings been leaning more toward metally stuff, so I just want to know what kinds of scales I need for (newer) metal soloing. Right now I know 2 blues scales, E pentatonic minor and G pentatonic minor. I want suggestions as to what kind, but if there are any specific scales that would be really helpful that would be cool to know too. Thanks.
E pentatonic minor and G pentatonic minor are the same scale, just played in a different key. Pentatonic minor is what id direct you towards, but you already know that. Any blues scale will work too, metal and rock are both prettymuch heavy blues. Harmonic minor is good as well.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
metal ie metallica = purely pentatonic (like 90% of the time)

megadeth = pentatonic (daves solos) + blue note sometimes (flat 5th) marty's = natural minor, pentatonic, phyrgian dominant and some others

iron maiden = natural and harmonic minor all the way, pentatonic

basically those
Natural and Harmonic minor.

Dabble into the modes: Phrygian, aeolian
ಥ_ಥ
Natural Minor
Harmonic Minor
Melodic Minor
Locrian
Phrygian
Whole Tone
Minor Pentatonic
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
mirno pentatonics, blues and harmonic minors i would say, also try a 134 on each string, don't know any scale name though
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
also try a 134 on each string, don't know any scale name though

The technical term is "not a scale".
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
mirno pentatonics, blues and harmonic minors i would say, also try a 134 on each string, don't know any scale name though

134 on each string is just a pattern its not a scale so its not goin to sound good, by al means use it as a warm up but hell dont rely on it as a scale, lol
Quote by beadhangingOne
metal ie metallica = purely pentatonic (like 90% of the time)

megadeth = pentatonic (daves solos) + blue note sometimes (flat 5th) marty's = natural minor, pentatonic, phyrgian dominant and some others

iron maiden = natural and harmonic minor all the way, pentatonic

basically those

Nice reply, helped me out to... nice one.
Gear:

Guitars:
Jackson King
Ibanez GRG170DX
Replica Stratocaster
Acoustic Crafter

Amp:
Practice Amp

Accesories:
POD X3
POD 2.0
Aria Wah Pedal
Thanks for the advice everyone, I have E G and A pentatonic minor down, and i'm learning Aeolian Mode before Phrygian mode because it seems like a better scale to start with when gettin into the modes.
I've got some stuff here: http://www.fret-master.com/minpentpos.htm that might help...the minor pentatonic as most have said will help you out BUT take it a step further and check out the 5 positions that just might do the trick.

Also check this out: http://www.fret-master.com/theory.htm as it may help.

Respect,
JM Brown
www.fret-master.com