According to my dad, due to me grades and effort on my math exam, I am now half way to owning a bass guitar. If I pull off decent grades in most of my classes on my report card I will have a bass. Not my quesition is which one?

I play mainly punk )IE Buzzcocks, Ramones, DeadKennedys,Bad Religion, Crass), Blues (IE SRV, BB King), Psydelica (IE Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix), and New age (IE Pulp, The Cure, Placebo).

I've been looking into the Standard P and J basses from fender, but also epiphones Gothic and plain Thunderbird basses. Any opinion? I really like the P bass sound, but the jazz neck aswell. And I plan to try the epis out tomarrow.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
some of the schecter's are great i own a discoutnineud devil bass and its great also i own there schecter tempest blckjack guitar
i dunno, you can't get much simpler then a fender P-Bass. thats like, classic bass guitar sound right there.
I'd have to recommend the J bass because of its versatility and the style of music you're playing. The Thunderbird style looks cool, but too me only fits in a select few styles, playing the Beatles on one of those would turn me off. The J bass can have a whole range of sounds (and has a sexy neck too).
Technicly its not my first bass, as I play bass for a fe wlocal bands because bassist are hard to find, butthis will be the first one I actually own, nad the band didn't just rent out for me.

And yes I want a full fender, as I plan to keep this bass for quite a while.

i would go with a jazz bass, mainly because ive seen jazz basses used in all the genres of music you are hoping to play.

i wouldnt go for a t-bird, mainly because they can be uncomfortable, and IMO, less versatile.

so Jazz bass would probably be the best way to go for you.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I have fairly big hands, and as such I usually like a fairly big neck. That being said Im wondering if the jazz neck is to thin, as it because uncomfertable for me over time. My personal favorite guitar neckis the one on the SRV strat (which I don't own, sadly).

Also I forgot to site one huge influence: Red Hot chili Peppers and Rush.

^then jazz would be best for you. geddy's sig bass is based off a jazz. and flea uses a jazz inspired bass.

but the necks might be too small if your hands get uncomfortable, so that may be a problem. have you palyed a jazz yey?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
^then jazz would be best for you. geddy's sig bass is based off a jazz. and flea uses a jazz inspired bass.

but the necks might be too small if your hands get uncomfortable, so that may be a problem. have you palyed a jazz yey?

Its the bass I play the most often, yeah. The neck seems to just make it hard to wrap my fist arount it and use my thumb and fretting fingers.

Why not get a P with a jazz pickup then if you're not keen on the jazz neck? There's loads of P/Js about. Get to a shop and try a load!
Ya know, looking back, I've found that I have actually played a bass that did feel very right. A musicman StingRay. I've looked these up, and there kinda costly, any cheap alternative?

Quote by zekk
there kinda costly, any cheap alternative?

The new Ibanez ATK reissue. Wait a month or two for them to reach the stores though, but they do the Stingray tone. $660 list, expect to pay $600 or thereabouts.
Cant do it. Im expecting about a 400 USD bidget.

Quote by zekk
Cant do it. Im expecting about a 400 USD bidget.

You can get a Fender for that in the States? That's damn cheap! Anyway the ATK list price is only $60 more than the list price of the cheapest Fender.
With a little chatting with a sales person, yepper. And Ibeanez necks do me no good, far to thin (most of the time).

The ATK neck profile is very similar to a standard precision. 240mm fretboard radius, 34" scale, the Ibanez is 1mm thicker at the nut than a Fender.

It sounds like you're set on a Fender though - you keep arguing! Maybe you should try some Ps and Js and see what you prefer.
save up for a better Fender man. You describe a mark Hoppus p bass (J bass neck p bass sound), and I think you'd be quite satisfied with its quality... as long as its set up when you buy it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by zekk
Ya know, looking back, I've found that I have actually played a bass that did feel very right. A musicman StingRay. I've looked these up, and there kinda costly, any cheap alternative?

OLP MM's. Pretty good considering they're all for 250 or less.
^^ The Hoppus has a Precision neck, UtBDan.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
its just a j bass body then? I thought it was j bass neck and body and just p bass pickups...
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Yeah, Jazz body, Precision neck, SD Quarter Pound precision pup. It's a nice arrangement in my opinion, since I like the Precision neck better, and like the Jazz body. If it came with a BAII bridge it'd be totally worth the money; as it is, it's a bit overpriced, but still a damn fine bass when properly set up.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.