Hey people, so i just got my first ever fender strat last thursday, which makes me a strat noob.
Anyways, It came with some gross strings so i changed them yesterday and today i was just playing through my fender twin reverb and i noticed that the bridge looked kind of wierd, the bridge is sticking out way too much and i dont know if this is normal, but it looks pretty scary. When i first got the guitar the bridge wasnt sticking out ,i think.
So my question is how do i set this bridge up, and is it normal for a tremolo bridge to stick out that much?
i was checking the fender website and the bridge instruccions were waaayyy too complicated.
So, any fellow UGers. can you please help me?, this is driving me nuts.
hank you all in advance.
What gauge strings did you have? And what ones did you put on? I'm guessing they were 9's on the Strat. If you put on higher gauge strings it could've pulled the trem up.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
umm maybe u need to tighten or add springs and if it only has 3 springs which most usually do id put 4 or fill it up with and they usually come off the body like 1/4 of an inch at the most
If you put on 10's, I would immediately put back on some 9's.

Keeping 10's on will not only create strain on the neck, it would also affect intonation. Adding additional springs without getting the neck adjusted could cause major problems in the future. If you want to go with a heavier gauge, get the guitar set professionally.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Quote by thestrokesrock
Hey people, so i just got my first ever fender strat last thursday, which makes me a strat noob.
Anyways, It came with some gross strings so i changed them yesterday and today i was just playing through my fender twin reverb and i noticed that the bridge looked kind of wierd, the bridge is sticking out way too much and i dont know if this is normal, but it looks pretty scary. When i first got the guitar the bridge wasnt sticking out ,i think.
So my question is how do i set this bridge up, and is it normal for a tremolo bridge to stick out that much?
i was checking the fender website and the bridge instruccions were waaayyy too complicated.
So, any fellow UGers. can you please help me?, this is driving me nuts.
hank you all in advance.

they make the bridges like that so in shipping it doesnt snap from pressure and stuff, mine was the same way, it needs a setup, go back there and tell them it needs a setup.
and if rhymes were valums I'd be comfortably numb.
When I first got my strat, the bridge was up pretty high. I just added a spring in the back and it brought it right to where i wanted it.
Post some pics so we can see what's really goin' on.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I had this same problem with my strat. I just tightened the springs and now its good.
My gear:
-Fender Jaguar HH
-Fender Fat Strat
-Guild GAD-G212
-Washburn D33S
-Vox AC30CC1 tube amp
-Vox 847 wah
-EH Big Muff
-EH Double Muff
-EH POG
-EH Small Clone
Quote by Ljk825
If you put on 10's, I would immediately put back on some 9's.

Keeping 10's on will not only create strain on the neck, it would also affect intonation. Adding additional springs without getting the neck adjusted could cause major problems in the future. If you want to go with a heavier gauge, get the guitar set professionally.

I concur.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
If you like 10s, then stick with it, there's absolutely no reason why you HAVE to use 9s. 9s to 10s isnt a big of a jump, you dont need to adjust your truss rod for that but you may need to re-intonate.

As for the bridge, just tighten the claw's screws until the bridge sits parallel to the body or add more spring if you've maxed out the room. Remember to loosen the strings a fair bit when you're tightening the claw's screws.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Yeah, either add or tighten the springs in the back. I acctually kind of like the bridge sticking out a little bit. You can raise the pitch up with the bar when its like that.
I am assuming you mean that the tremelo seems like it is tilted forward too much. I had the same problem. Fender's website has the specs you need to do the set up yourself, it's pretty simple. All you have to do is take the cover off the back of the body and tighten the screws that attach the springs to the to the guitar.

-Fender American Series Stratocaster
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Rock, Jazz, Blues, and Funk