I play modern rock kind of stuff and im getting bored of playing power chords all the time when i now so many different chords but when i try and play a distorted open chord or bar chord it sounds naff. Ive bin trying to set up my big muff to play open chords and use my ds1 for power chords but i cant master it ive tried so many different variations but i cant get it right. does any one know how to sort this out or any settings that might help ?

my equipment
fender 72 telecaster deluxe
vox ad50vt amp
eh big muff
eh small clone
boss ds1
line 6 echo park
line 6 tap tremolo
Quote by shaggyrooster
roll back the gain a bit. you should be able to hear each note. maybe that will help

yea thats what i would say, less distortion.
If you're playing with a heavily distorted sound you don't - that's why power chords are so common in rock music. The idea behind chords is that they give you a fuller sound than individual notes - if you're playing with distortion you're sound is already fuller, so playing full chords tends to be too much in terms of how much is going on sonically.

Basically, turn down the gain!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sounds like you're using a bit too much gain. Make sure you're using the bridge p/up. Don't put too much bass in there.
Dragatear is right to suggest using first inversions (low major/minor thirds often sound muddy), but you shouldn't have to do this with your equipment set up right.
why do ppl feel like they have to answer if therr just gonna repeat what everyone else said
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
AC/DC used chords, and they had a dirty tone, but they had a very low gain setting.

so turn your gain down, most likely alot, and then you should be fine.

also, it makes a bigger difference if your guitar is in tune, its more noticeable when its not.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i already know alot of power chord inversions but i know alot of over chords that ive seen bands play but when i try they sound muddy and horrible
Yeah, try turning down the gain a bit. With your telecaster I wouldnt expect there to be all that many problems. If you have to, just use the amp distortion, as a pedal is usually heavier sounding. Also, barre chords shouldnt need too much less gain. I play a schecter (two 'buckers) with the gain on about 6.5-7, and I really dont have to turn the gain down at all to play barre chords.
i dont have my gain up mass amounts any way its only at 4.5 its to do with eq ing my amp i cant get it right so it dosnt sound to tinny or to bassy and muddy
why do ppl feel like they have to answer if therr just gonna repeat what everyone else said

Why do people feel the urge to chime in when they've got nothing useful to say?

If you look at the times of the postings they're all within minutes of each other so several people gave an answer that hadn't been given before at pretty much the same time.

Using the top 3 or 4 strings of an open chord can work well with a distorted tone, particularly when you've got a bassline or even a second guitar behind you.

i dont have my gain up mass amounts any way its only at 4.5 its to do with eq ing my amp i cant get it right so it dosnt sound to tinny or to bassy and muddy

What's your EQ settings, what channel do you have the amp on and what do you have the pedal set to?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

If you look at the times of the postings they're all within minutes of each other so several people gave an answer that hadn't been given before at pretty much the same time.

Haha I was about to post that...
Also, make sure the strings are actually in tune!

Thats the first thing to check eh? :P

Then try the first inversion of the chords, if that doesn't work, try lowering your gain like most people said.

Hope that helps!
i do lol thats the 1st thing i check i have a floor tuner on my board that was the 1st thing i tried
Quote by Andras5soul

It is actually a good thing; because then the threadstarter knows that more than one person thinks that is the best thing to do, i.e. he can see there is a majority of one view, and this is likely the best way to go.

Why vote for a party in an election? cause you'd just be copying off the other voters!!1!223

dumbass
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Don't let the open strings ring for too long after you've struck the chord i would say. And yeh roll down the gain, but basically you shouldn't really play open chords with much distortio unless you're going for that sound, which you normally aren't.
The Stuff!

If you're playing with lots of bass and low midrange that'll make things muddy, also if you're using the Big Muff on one of the distorted amp models that'll just make your tone go to shit. To be honest I'd bin off the big muff completely for chordal stuff and just use one of the low gain amp models.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

less bass, and more mids...

also, have you tried rolling back the guitar volume instead of turning down the gain??

easier, and may be more effecient
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
I play open chords with good amounts of gain. It sounds fine...it must be your eq.
Or you have a bad ear.
Major chords in general don't sound good with distortion because of the way a guitar is built. The Major 3rd just always sounds dissonant with distortion.

You can try tuning your G or B string slightly flat, and use your primary barre chord shape (The E Major shape) if you flat the G a bit, or you could use your secondary barre chord shape (The A Major shape) if you flat the B string. I flat my B string because I like using the secondary shape better, without the root note. It's like a happy perfect fourth interval.
I believe Eddie Van Halen used to do this.
I have a HRD and I use the overdrive channel with the gain set to about 6 and it really is very clear sounding. I think it has to do with your EQ, amp, and the amount of gain you use. If you have the AD50 set to like UK High gain or something with a lot of gain it will probably sound muddy.
Yeah, I've heard that Tempered Tuning thing from my friend before...

Okay, ACDC often plays barre chords, with dist (yes, at low gain), but they never sound out of tune.... does this mean they also flatted the B string a la VH ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Yeah, maybe. That's what I sometimes read when they show their songs in Guitar World, I think.
They really only use the A form barre chord...I think.
When I listen to their recordings(Back in Black uses an A major), it doesn't sound disonnant at all, so it's possible. I just learned the trick from reading about EVH.
Barre chords ftw.

But really, you're probably just playing too dirty. You don't actually have to turn up the distortion to get a dirty sound. Since we're talking ACDC so much here, they actually had pretty clean amps. It's all in the pick attack and playing style.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yep they pick feckin hard I've seen live videos......

OR....increase the PRESENCE, perhaps ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, that's true. Watch any AC/DC video, and Angus just kills his strings. He picks hard. Real hard. That's how he gets that crunch.

In the words of Malcolm Young - "Don't tickle the thing, whack the bugger."

If you're gonna pick hard you will want to raise your action to a level where you don't get buzz. Fret buzz doesn't just sound bad when you can hear it through the amp. Even if you can only hear it unplugged it kills sustain and your fundamental harmonic, which means that your guitar will sound thin and tinny.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
A high action also keeps people from trying to play your guitars all the time.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Hi action makes you fingers tired before the set even ends......

Keep the faith, baby!!
Have you checked your intonation? It could be a little off
Ask me no questions, i will tell you no lies...
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Hi action makes you fingers tired before the set even ends......

Pshh...don't be a pussy. I have high action. It's just something to get used to.

Quote by TGM
If you're gonna pick hard you will want to raise your action to a level where you don't get buzz. Fret buzz doesn't just sound bad when you can hear it through the amp. Even if you can only hear it unplugged it kills sustain and your fundamental harmonic, which means that your guitar will sound thin and tinny.

Oh yeah! Thanks for pointing that out. I have my action set fairly high cause I pick like a madman.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not about it being muddy. Major Thirds just...naturally sound dissonant. It's part of the guitar having what's called 'tempered tuning'. Look it up. This dissonance is practically why power chords were invented and are so popular in rock.

Ahh I see what you meant. Major Thirds aren't dissonant though. The guitar is just a poorly set up instrument. Theres nothing dissonant about a Amaj played on a piano.
Well, that's what I said. The guitar has tempered tuning.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Major chords in general don't sound good with distortion because of the way a guitar is built. The Major 3rd just always sounds dissonant with distortion.

That, and we're on a guitar forum :p
So i assumed the understanding would be that we're talking about guitars, and well, not pianos. Although, the piano uses tempered tuning...too.
It's just that guitar is built on 5th intervals...but then here comes the B string, a fourth interval! So yeah, it screws it up.
If you're using a Big Muff you're never going to be able to play open chords, no matter what kind of EQ settings you have or EQ Pedal. The DS-1 will be a better bet, you should also try turning down the volume on your guitar, that may help it a bit.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, that's what I said. The guitar has tempered tuning.

That, and we're on a guitar forum :p
So i assumed the understanding would be that we're talking about guitars, and well, not pianos. Although, the piano uses tempered tuning...too.
It's just that guitar is built on 5th intervals...but then here comes the B string, a fourth interval! So yeah, it screws it up.

Yeah but I didn't want people getting misinformed by reading such a general statement as "Major thirds are natrually dissonant" its quite the opposite. Naturally they're not dissonant at all, the guitar is just dumb. But you're right about the tuning part.