I have a peavey JSX head and marshall 1960V cab, and I am extremely happy with the gain I get for rythms, but I find its too harsh for solo'ing, so I was wondering what effects I should be looking at to improve my tone?

Eq? Compressor? Phaser? Delay? Overdrive?

Im looking for a smoother tone with more sustain. A really good metal solo'ing tone.

Ohh and I will be replacing the stock pick ups in my S470 very soon, so hopefully that'll smoothen out my tone even more. (Replacing with Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge and Breed in the neck)

Thanks in advance!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
EQ pedal.
as skeptical as you may be, it can do ANYTHING to tone.
get one.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
don't use pedals to cover up your sound, if you want to get a solo tone play with your gain a little or use your neck pick up, but work with what you got first cuz you should have all you need in your hands
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
EQ pedal is a way to go though you can get alot of tone out of a good one
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Maybe try an OD with a mid emphasis (ie tubescreamer type). Using one set to low gain can really smooth out the sound and give you a little volume boost at the same time. I highly recommend the Keeley modified TS9 mod+, or any of his TS mods for that matter.

Alternatively, you could go down the EQ route as danzig suggested. It can really alter the tone, but I have a love/hate thing with them because while it certainly does the job, I like to keep the whole setup as "pure" as possible, and an EQ pedal seems a a step in the processed direction... But that's just me.
+1 on the TS-style overdrive. An EQ might work, but frankly I have yet to find a decent one that's not terribly expensive.
Yeah I was looking at getting the MXR 10-Band, or I was thinking the Danelectro Fish'n Chips, but Im a little skeptical because of the price.

The overdrive seems to be what it always goes back to, so basically I think I'll get an EQ and a OD pedal, they both seem to be recommended the most.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Ohhh okay, do you know if the fish and chips is any good? You cant beat the price so I was wondering about the quality.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
^I've the Danelectro for a few weeks now, and I haven't gigged with it, so it can't really gague the reliability, but for the price it's unbeatable. It's almost noise-free, and does exactly what it's supposed to do; really, what more can you ask for? Sure, it's made of plastic, but it's pretty tough plastic, as long as you don't literally jump on your effects to switch them on/off it should be fine.
I think Im going to order the Fish'n chips tonight then, if it can really shape your tone, then I really should get it, its exacly what I need.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
BBE Sonic Maximizer. I have the plugin, and I am in love with it.
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
Yeah I heard about that pedal, I was abouto go read more about it, and hopefully try it out if I get the chance. What does it do exacly?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
Yeah I heard about that pedal, I was abouto go read more about it, and hopefully try it out if I get the chance. What does it do exacly?

According to the company, speakers make some higher frequencies and lower frequencies out of phase. It corrects and boosts them to help make the sound clearer.
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
Is the BBE sonic maximser basically like a compression pedal then? So far I think I'll be picking up an EQ pedal and an overdrive aswell. I started EQ'ing a little more today and I seem to be making progress =)
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded