I just read in another thread about heavy strings pulling the trem up on a strat, or something like that. I love really low tunings, and I normally use pretty heavy strings (12's or so). I was planning on getting a Fender Stratocaster, but now I'm worried.

Is it okay to use strings that heavy on a strat?
i dont see why not, just put all 5 springs in the back and tighten up the screws there. you'll be all set...

i mean look at SRV...he used 13's.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
It is, you just need to readjust your bridge for them.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
you can adjust the bridge like said. but make sure it's the guitar u want.
did u want a locking bridge?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
When I put 11's on my squier and had it tuned in like drop c it was fine but when I put it in standard I had to add another spring
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
I'd get it set up for the string gauge you play in. Just wacking some more springs in the bridge could put alot of pressure on the neck.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I got 13s on a Strat in E Standard. It works. It's got 5 springs tightened almost all the way up, which in fact theoretically means that it could take even heavier strings. I'm not gonna do that yet though, 'coz my fingers hate me enough already.

Since you downtune (how much, by the way?) you won't need to compensate quite as much for the weight of the strings.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Kurapica
I'd get it set up for the string gauge you play in. Just wacking some more springs in the bridge could put alot of pressure on the neck.

You don't need more springs, you can just adjust the tension of the springs that are there.
I don't know, real heavy strings on a Strat can pull and screw up the neck pretty badly. SRV used 13's, but his Strats were messed up from it. Just saying.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by mr.joopy987
You don't need more springs, you can just adjust the tension of the springs that are there.

well i wouldnt suggest a full load on 3 springs. that's a lot of tension.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Fender/PR/SRV-Tribute-back-lg.jpg

As you can see SRV used 5 springs and he tightened the claw pretty much all the way back. That's not his actual guitar, but I believe Fender knew how he set it up when they made that. And as you can see the trem isn't floating. Tightening the 6 screws on the top makes it stay in tune better. But heavy strings may be hard on the neck and the tuners.
I own a strat myself, and I tried using Zakk Wylde Boomer's custom gauge on it. Let's just say the string action was raised hella lot. Some bridge adjustments, and new springs (they were rusted) and I was all set. IMHO though, I prefer Hybrid Slinky's do to the easyness of bending on the E and B strings. Good luck.