I've been looking at the SA260M, and it has that humbucker in the bridge that you can turn into a single coil. They don't say on the site weather or not it splits the pup or taps it. And whats the difference between the two? I was talking in a thread about this like a year ago, but I've totally forgot the difference here. Ofcourse I'd want to upgrade the pups if I got one of these, so how would that effect the splitting/tapping?

BTW anyone else have a foot long hard on for one of these? Heres the link for those who haven't seen it yet: http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SA260M&c=BLH
We're only strays.
that guitar isn't exactly making me hard
Gear

Kramer Vanguard

Les Paul Copy with Seymour Duncan Invaders
It can both split and tap, for coil splitting (like normal guitars do) in position 4 where it combines the split humbucker with the middle single. To access the coil tapping, you simply push the tone pot. It'd look something like this

"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
so let me see if i get this...
coil TAPPING would be like position two and four on a strat?
and coil splitting just basically turns it into a single coil?

also, what is phase switching on pickups?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by evo666
no, it doesnt really do much for me, i prefer women
+1 You are FTW!
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by danzig-_-
so let me see if i get this...
coil TAPPING would be like position two and four on a strat?
and coil splitting just basically turns it into a single coil?

also, what is phase switching on pickups?

Coil tapping would be position 5/1 on a strat = full single coil.

Position 4 on a strat would give you combination of bridge+middle coil or neck+middle which render the same result as a coil splitting on a humbucker. Phase switching i believe is almost the same as coil tapping accept that its adding more combination towards the coil, usually adds more noise.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Coil tapping would be position 5/1 on a strat = full single coil.

WRONG

Coil Splitting is when you split a humbucker into a single coil, to give you single coil sounds.

Coil Tapping is when there is extra wire wound around the pickup which you can tap into when you want to get a hotter sound.

This is a frequently misunderstood distinction, but a very important one.
Coil Tapping is when there is extra wire wound around the pickup which you can tap into when you want to get a hotter sound.

WRONG

Although in fairness I think madpickin got this on slightly wrong too, which is unusual in itself

Coil tapping is when you bypass some of the windings on the pickup to reduce the output. It's usually used on single coils, as coil splitting is easier so you might as well do that with a humbucker.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com