I was just wondering what the best way to record a song with jsut an acoustic guitar and vocals? Should I plug up my guitar or use a mic? If so... what mic should i use? ($200 - $400 range) If im not pluging the guitar in should I just use a stand and point the mic towards the opening in the guitar? Im jsut looking for the best way to get a "raw" and crisp sound.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Id say buy a Shure SM57, then seperatly record both guitar and vox on it, the 57's are normally a instument mic but work well for vocals from what i hear (just what I hear not actual experience, sorry) For mic placement just experiment, I personally like the mic abit above the sound hole on the neck
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
I would get the mxl 990 and 991 package($100.00)
and then i would get a nice two input interface that u can plug into your computer

i have those mics...and both together produce a nice and full acoustic sound..

u might have to do the vocals seperately...well u dont have to..but yea
^ i wouldnt go for the sm57 if the focus is on acoustic guitar and vocals. vocals are going to want a large diaphram condensor mic for the best results. then the acoustic guitar is going to want at least one condensor mic. if i were you i would go for 2 good mics. if you plan on tracking vocals and guitar separately you can use both mics to get a very full guitar sound, then use the large diapham condensor for vocals. if you want to both at the same time, use one mic for vocals and the other for the guitar.

for $400 you could get a couple decent mics that will get you a good sound. if you are on a bit of a tighter budget then mxl has a package with their 990 and 991 mics for $100. the 990 is a large diaphram condensor and good for vocals, then the 991 is good for the guitar. or use both on the guitar if you are multi tracking. unfortunatly i dont have any experience with condensors in the $200-250 range so i cant suggest any of those.

as for placement, it depends on if you are using one mic or two. even then you are going to have to play around to get the best sound. some people like one mic pointed directly at the soundhole, other people think this sounds too boomy. you can point the mic more toward the fretboard area of the guitar, somewhere between the soundhole and 12th fret to get a different sound (experiment for a good sound). when using two mics you again have some options. you can point one close to the guitar, and then have the other a few feet away to catch some depth. or you can do one on each side of the soundhole (towards bridge or 12th fret areas). it is all about experimentation with what you have to see what kind of sound you like best.
im not so much concered wwith a vocal mic. im strictly talking acoustic. i will do vocals and guitar seperately and ill use an "AKG D Emotion 880" mic... whatever and where ever that came from. Just looking for ONE mic... for ACOUSTIC GUITAR ONLY... dont care for a vocal mic... whats up????
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Quote by Seirath
when i record acoustic guitar, i record the riff twice and pan it left and right. it gives it a really thick sound, but people sometimes classify that as "cheating"

How is that cheating?
I like LDC (large diaphram condensers) on acoustics if there are no drums, bass, etc.

If there are drums and bass in the song, I could use a 57 or maybe a Shure SM7.

The 57 will sound thin compared to most condensers (except for maybe an AT4033 which is also very thin sounding).

It's up to you to decide if you want a big thick sound or a thin sound.

Brandon